| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L E66's on a Mullen ?
Bob Baringer

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 11:01 am    

I replaced my stock pickups on a pre Royal Percision Mullen with George L 10-1's and didnot like them then tried single coil that are great but the last job the hum was louder than the music, tried all the tricks to no avail...has anyone used George L E66 on a Mullen ? sure appreciate any help...Bob
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 1:51 pm    

Hi Bob,

I've tried the E66 on a few different guitars (not Mullen) and found it to have shrill harsh tonal qualities.

My suggestion FWIW would be to go with either an XR-16 or a 710 which I feel would work great on that guitar.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 2:03 pm    

I agree with Dick. I've tried several pickups on my Mullen 12-stringer, including the 12-1, and was not happy.

I got a BL-712 (12-string version of the 710) and love it. Sounds very much like the stock single-coil, with no hum.

Another factor, I've been told that you don't need a "match-box" with the 710 or 712 pickup. I agree that my guitar sounds better without my Hilton Digital Sustain since installing the 712. That was not true with other pickups, including the factory pickup.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Bari Smith

Spartanburg SC USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 2:27 pm     My Vote....

After several different tries....the best to my ear (and others)is the XR-16.Got it in a Mullen RP SD-10....good string separation and SMOOOOOOOOTH!!!!!! Very Happy

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 3:41 pm    

What Barri said, i had XR-16's on the Mullen i had, worked great for mine. Especially in a studio , work great.
Skip
Bob Baringer

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 5:29 pm    

Thank you all, sure gives me quite a choice to think about, thanks much...
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 6:39 pm    

I was thinking about putting a humbucker p/u on my Mullen RP SD-10. Who is a good dealer for Bill Lawrence p/'s? I was also thinking about the Geo L E66.

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 6:57 pm    

Geo L E66, Bo LE66
All kidding aside it's a great PU and not just because it's named after me.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 9:13 pm    

I have an E66 in my Mullen RP SD10, and really like it.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 9:23 pm    

I had one on the E9 neck of my ProIII, one time and did a studio session with that particular pick up. And had no problem with it. Of course I had a good producer that knew what he was doing.
Tommy Shown
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 5:29 am    

Bob, both of the Bill Lawerence pickups mentioned work great in the Mullen guitars. Another one you might want to consider trying is the George L's "EON" pickup. I've found this one to work great in Mullen guitars too.
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 7:46 am    

My first Mullen, 1989, had E66 PU's . I really liked them. My new HWP has single coil's. I think they are a bit better. Both of my guitars were pre RP. That might make a difference.
I have a friend that has a RP with 710's . It sounds great but I don't think you will find a bad sounding Mullen. Smile

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 1:52 pm    

Thanks so much for all the information...I really like my single coils and am just trying to find the closest to them in a humbucking pickup...BO you are something else (ha)...
Wayne Phillipy

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 12:06 pm     E-66 pickup - want to see if you can mount in a Mullen Rp

I l. I have a 2015 Mullen Steel ! Currently it has a BL 705 ! Got it from Gary Sill ! Strings 1-5 have a shrill somewhat a distorted sound ! I had a 58 minute conversation with Scott Buffington about my sound ! ( By the way I am playing a new Evans SE-300 w/ 15” Emminence spkr ! Scott said Wayne , the BL 705 is too hot of a pickup for your Mullen guitar ! My question Gentleman , is can I mount a E-66 Gl pickup in that Mullen guitar ? My guitar will only accommodate a narrow Type ! I would greatly appreciate any advice with this problem !