| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Tri-Cities Steel Guitar Show - Bristol, Va.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2003 2:09 pm    

quote:
The First Annual Tri-Cities Steel Guitar Show will be held October 11th & 12th at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites in Bristol, Virginia. Any steel guitarists wishing to play, please contact us so we can add you to the list. A list of all confirmed players will be added later. A live band and soundtracks will be provided. There will also be space available for vendors.
The hotel is located at exit 7 of Interstate 81 and the phone number is
276-466-4100. When making your reservations, be sure to mention that you are with the Steel Guitar Show to receive a special rate. There are also other hotels located nearby.

For more information, call Steve at 276-466-4823 or email at double10@bvunet.net

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2003 3:16 am    

Well Steve I guess we have a new one anyway.
Looks like we start over.

Mike
Joey Ace

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2003 4:44 am    

When posts get larger than 2 pages they slow down the Server, especially in future searches. That's why I started a new one.

Please post the currently scheduled lineup.
Steve Leonard

Bristol,VA.,U.S.A
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2003 6:12 am    

The confirmed players are:

Mike Sweeney, Herby Wallace, Bryan Adams, Russ Hicks, Randy Beavers, Walter Haynes, Joe Sapp, Boo Miller, "Big John" Bechtel, Mike Callaway, Ray Walker, Roger Kelly, Tony Dingus, Sam White, Bob Hayes, Jerry Flemming, Jerry van Hoose, David Martin, Mike Archer, Bill Moran, Chuck Campbell, Ken Latchum, Pat Jenkins.

The confirmed house band:

Ben Brogden, Jim Unger, Jim Hartley, Rick Anderson.

Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2003 5:41 pm    

Sounds like the makin's of another GOOD-UN !!
Never know who might just pop in the door.
"OLE" B.F.B gonna knock their socks off. One hell-of-a-bass-picker.

My big buddy Herby ain't gonna do so bad either. I'll spread the word around L.A., (Lower Alabama). Like I said,,,,,you never know who is gonna pop in the door.
Ben F. O'Dell
Steve Leonard

Bristol,VA.,U.S.A
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 9:28 am    

Just a reminder:

The deadline for making room reservations at the Holiday Inn is September 25th, so make your's now! Their number is 276-466-4100.

The numbers for other hotels on exit 7 are:

La Quinta 276-669-9353
MicroTel 276-669-8164
Motel 6 276-466-6060

Steve

[This message was edited by Steve Leonard on 05 September 2003 at 10:30 AM.]

Steve Leonard

Bristol,VA.,U.S.A
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 1:08 pm    

Several people have called me wanting to know what time the show will be starting each day. On Saturday we will begin around 9a.m., and Sunday around 10a.m.

Steve
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 4:21 am    

Lets make this show a success for Steve y'all. He's going out of his way to bring in some great players and put a good band together for a wonderfull show.
There will be lots of products for sale as well as great music to listen to.
If you can be there you owe it to yourself to come.
Also don't forget there will be 2 Hall Of Fame members on this debut Tri- Cities show.
Hope to see ALL of you there.

Mike Sweeney
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2003 3:53 pm    

I just wanted to add my two cents worth. I have known Steve Leonard for a long time now and by knowing Steve the way I do, this show is going to be strictly first class. He has already proven that just by getting a great backup band which is one of the most important factors in having a successful. I hope everyone will come out and support this show, so it can become an annual event. I hope to see you there.

Herby Wallace

------------------
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2003 5:12 am    

You hit the nail on the head Herby!

Mike
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2003 2:48 pm    

I'm looking forward to this and it will be my first time playing at one of the shows and I know I'll be nervous-er than a cat in a dog pound.
Tony
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2003 2:47 pm    

Tony,

I'm sure you'll do fine. Everyone's a little jittery the fist time or two but you always settle down a tune or two into your set.
Just play what you're comfortable with and you'll be fine.

Mike
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2003 2:55 pm    

Hey Tony if I can get up there and try to play you should do alright.
Sam White
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 4:30 am    

I always get nervous when Mike Sweeney..Herby Wallace...and the boys are there. It doesn't have anything to do with my playing ability cause they all already know my playing ability is...is...is..awe heck just come on out and see. Folks I promise you will have a good time..Here;s the best way I have found to look at this. If you are a novice like myself...the big guns have already been there and seen that...heck they give lessons so they have probably seen a lot worse. They aren't coming to give lessons or look you over to see how many mistakes you make. They are coming cause they want to be around steel players of all levels and to let their hair down and have a good time. You got to understand that the boys and girls who play professionally do it for a living everyday and must do serious work, but every once in a while they get to just come out and have some fun just like the rest of us. And by the way...all and I mean all of the big guns make mistakes still today....the difference is they can laugh at them and they can cover em up better than us rookies See you all there.

Ray
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 4:51 am    

Ray!!!,
Are you sure that you realy wanted to make that statement!! "LET THEIR "HAIR DOWN"!!!?.
Think about thatNow ..I've got some hair on the back...but.....some of the perspective participents at this function....may need a little help......OOOOPPPPS!!
GV
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 5:03 am    

So thats what happened to my hair ??????? I left it down and lost it !!!!!. I ware it tied back, and dont shave. sooner or later I'll have enough to glue it back on top. yep, I'm a little nervous as well, but wont let that stop me. In Columbus Ohio, with Mr Wallace, Doug, Joe Wright, Jerry Brightman, David Spires, and some of the hottest pickers North of the Mason Dixon, I still had a blast. I did what I could, pulled it off, and to be honest, thought I sounded ok, but being around Steel Guitarists, regardless of leval, its just down right fantastic. I'm really looking forward to it. God Bless.

Joe
Derby SD-10 4X5, Nashville 400, Fender black face twin, Lexicon MPX 100 , Profex ll
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 6:18 am    

O.K. Bob. I caught that. LMAO.
Joey Ace

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 7:10 am    

I really enjoyed your set in Columbus, Joe Sapp. I won't be in Bristol, but I sure you'll do fine!
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 10:53 am    

Thanks for the nice comment Joey. I appreciate that more than you know. I'm not fancy by a long shot. And sure not a speed picker.(as you heard). I try and play as clean as I can make it. if you can make it to Pa. your more than welcome to ride along with me. I's going to be a super show. Thank you again. God Bless.

Joe
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2003 2:40 am    

OK OK OK!!!! My wife told me the other night how insensitive I can be sometimes and now I know exactly what she is talking about and would like to make a mends. Forget what I said about "letting your hair down" especially for the bald or balding guys So let's all go out and "let down our bellies"....No wait...Please let me check with my loving wife on that.. I'm startin to think that one won't fly either . Folks if you haven't made your plans to attend this great jam please please make them today...it would just be a crying shame to miss hanging out with this great bunch of guys. I'm bringing a case of spray on hair that I bought off TV about two years ago...If you go and you really don't have any hair to let down....hit me up for a can and just spray some on the floor and get to playin. See you all there.

Ray
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2003 3:32 am    

Tony, how about a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs...or, a cow with a buck toothed calf! Seriously, from what I have seen with Buddy Emmons when he plays at these jams, he is just having fun. If he messes up, he gets a big laugh out of it and just enjoys himself. Of course, if it wasn't for the laugh, he covers the mistakes so well that we wouldn't even know. With all the pressure he has on him to deliver as the world's foremost steel guitar player, he doesn't appear to take it too seriously. Just up there having fun. Hope you can do the same. You will be playing to a bunch of steeler's who understand how hard it is to make yourself get up there and understand perfectly well that mistakes will probably occurr, so what! You're not on national TV or making a record. Looking forward to hearing you play and I for one admire anybody that gets up and plays, regardless of their ability or any mistakes that they might make.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2003 10:45 am    

I'm coming to the Tri-Cities Steel Show with my '49/'50 Fender T-8 Custom. I understand that I'll be the only Non-Pedal Steel on the Show! I've been practicing hard, and I'm going to make as many mistakes as is allowable by law. I'm really looking forward to this one! You can check out my Custom on my Website below. Thanks,

------------------
“Big John” {(<< Uh~
http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2003 6:45 pm    

Thanks George, I'm looking forward to the show and meeting all you people.
Tony
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2003 6:14 pm    

About hair,,,, MIne turned white and then turned loose ernie
Marion Spain

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2003 3:32 pm    

THIS IS GREAT! JUST UP THE ROAD ON HWY 81 IN VA. CERTAINLY GOING TO TRY AND MAKE THIS SHOW. SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN AND AWESOME PICKN. IF THE FIRST GOES WELL MAYBE THERE WILL BE MORE. MUSIC IS LIFE , EVERTHING ELSE JUST DETAILS.