| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Derby - what a fantastic guitar!!!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 10:35 am    

I've heard good things about these guitars, but only now can I attest to their quality from personal experience!

I replaced my 'spare guitar' - an SD-10 Fessenden (a fine instrument, but I wanted a wider rear-pad) - with a nearly-new SD-10 Derby in black mica. My thanks goes to Wayne Tyler for a stress-free transaction, and a guitar that was every bit as good as he claimed it was!

It's better than I hoped - it has very Emmons LeGrande-like qualities, is extremely stable, sustains beautifully (it has an E-66 pick-up) and, most of all, there's a sense of great familiarity as I sit behind it and look down at the front neck. In all honesty, I'm preferring it to my beloved LG111 D-10, 'though that might just be a rash of enthusiasm for my new 'toy'.....

The only trouble? It's still set up 'Emmons' and I play 'Day' - virtually every knee-lever is in the 'wrong' place for me, yet..... I'm managing quite nicely playing the 'wrong' way around.

Thanks to Bo Borland who has patiently explained how I should go about changing the set-up - Bo: I'll get to it soon, I've just been too busy, and I'm kind-of enjoying the challenge of the alien set-up at the moment.

This must be 'old news' to anyone out there who already has a Derby - but I'm blown away by how terrific this steel guitar is! I'd have a D-10 in a heartbeat (Anyone have a black one they don't want? Very Happy )
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 11:45 am    

Congrats Roger, on your new DERBY. They don't come any better than Wayne. Although George may have corrupted him by now.. Very Happy

I just recently found out he's a member here.

Maybe you'll end up liking the Day setup, and won't want to change it around?

Good Luck and have fun with it.

Don
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 11:49 am    

No, Don - I am a 'Day' player - it's the 'Emmons' set-up I don't like!!!

I get your drift, though - I may end up liking that, 'though I doubt it; it's been too long....
Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 11:57 am     Derby

Roger,You are exactly right about the Derby. These guitars play and sound so good. I've added rull rods on mine in the past and they are very easy to work on you. You shouldn't have any problem changing it to your setup.

BTW I've got a nice laquer body Derby SD10 in the "Instruments For Sale" section if someones looking for a nice SD10.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 7:04 pm    

RR, I knew you would like the Derby. I tried a lot of new horns and the Derby is the one. I hope everyone doesn't find out or Charlie will get 2 years behind too.
FYI, Big John Bechtel is a great resource for adjustments, I learned alot from his emails.
BB

Last edited by Bo Borland on 11 Jan 2009 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 9:55 pm    

I'll Second, Bo's opinion on John Really knowing a DERBY.. I don't think Roger works on his own, but for what it's worth. They are NOT like any other steel in the way they are set up.

But very unique in their design at the same time!

I know Bo's sounds great!

Don
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2009 7:31 am    

"Almost" the best kept secret in the steel guitar world! Derby's rule!!!!!!! Greg
Mr. Green
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Brian Kurlychek

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2009 9:18 am    

Aren't Derby's made with some of the same parts as Emmon's?

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2009 10:48 am    

I have owned my Derby less than a year and am very pleased with it. I had attempted to "make the jump" from PP's to a new all-pull guitar prior to the Derby (let's just say with "brand X"), and wound up less-than-satisfied - the tone just wasn't there for me. So I was nervous to try again, but after just a couple minutes at the guitar I knew I had made a good choice. Tonewise, the Derby has it in spades (I find the stock E-66's just fine - warm, rich and full sound). It plays like butter and I have never owned a guitar that stays in tune like this one, even with wide temperature swings. A high-quality instrument all around. Count me as another happy Derby owner!
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2009 11:18 am    

Brian K,
I wouldn't say the Derby is made with the same parts as a Lashley made steel, see these pix from the "for sale" section.
There are some obvious differences, the pull fingers, the way the pull rods are attached to the pull fingers, the bracket between the necks, the flags on the knee levers, and some other stuff.

Some obvious similaries are the headstock, pedals, changer design, guaged rollers, fret board colors, and the way the pedal rod to pull crank connectors look (springs etc.)

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2009 8:58 am    

Hi Roger, I know you're going to enjoy your new Derby.
I have 2 Derby's, and they are the best steels I've ever owned.

Smile Smile Smile Carl

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2009 9:04 am    

Bo, Thanks for your reply and the photos. I asked if they were made with some of the same parts. Not that they were the same build as an Emmons.

I heard that some of the parts on certain guitars are made 100% by the builder. Other builders buy some of their parts pre-made? So some guitar builders are using the same parts - is this true?

Europe
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2009 9:12 am    

Derby??new brand??
Smile JJ
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2009 9:50 am    

brian..i've never heard that.
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2009 11:13 am    

Brian...
I think Pedalmaster uses some GFI parts. Other than that, I don't know of any instances of part sharing.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2009 12:05 pm    

Skip is right,In fact I have a Desert Rose intermediate model guitar it has PedalMaster parts which are GFI bellcranks,and I'm pretty sure the changer also,It also has a dieboard body like a GFI.The Keyhead and most of the other parts look GFI.
Stu Whoa!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2009 4:44 pm     Derby?

At one point I believe Derby's came either with 5/8" wide pedals or 7/8" pedals. Does anyone know if that's still the case, or could a Derby with 7/8" pedals be retrofitted for 5/8" pedals? (I've never been able to play with the LeGrande style pedals and perhaps the 5/8" versions would be easier.)

Although I've never played a Derby, hearing Terry Crisp play one at the 2007 PSGA show made me sit up and take notice -- wonderful sound.
Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2009 7:42 pm     Derby's

Derby's are some of the best sounding and playing guitars you will ever play. Ask Lynn Owsley and Ron Elliot, they have terrific sound. I had an Sd 10 Laquer and wish I had kept it. Some of the best service from Charles "The Builder. Visit the Derby Room at Dallas or St Louis and try one out. You'll e glad you did.
Doc Rickles
Paul Dittmeier

Jeffersonville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2009 1:10 pm     derby

All parts for the Derby steel are Derby parts. There is no one else's parts on them.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2009 6:07 pm    

Sorry Roger, I got a black Emmons P/P, and I don't want to get rid of it.
Tommy Shown
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2009 7:15 pm    

Confused I didn't ask you to.....

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 17 Jan 2009 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2009 8:09 pm    

I had a chance to play brand new Derby and new Emmons Lagrande II side by side at SGN and to me those two brands have no simularities what so ever..just IMHO....

Db

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2009 4:14 am     difference

Damir
What is difference between them?..In your opinion
Very interested in the Derby or Lagrande and would love to hear your opinion. Don't hold back ..tell us the truth..

Thanks ..Bob

I think that Brian is right.. Some of the parts of different brands of steel are the same.
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2009 5:15 am    

I have never played an Emmons but if it plays smoother and easier than a Derby, it would have to play itself.

Tell us how they differ Damir. Thanks, Greg
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2009 5:54 am    

they are just different, different feel and different tone..I wont get into the brand war here, I`m just saying that to me those are two different brands, that`s all..

Db