| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WOW Kanapolis MASGA SHOW
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2003 6:41 am    

I could not beleave the amount of People and Steel players at the Kanapolis MASGA SHOW.I left at 6:15PM and headed back here in TN.and there were 27 Steel players set up counting myself.I want to thank all who congradulated me on my playing Inprovement.I did mess up a few times but kept right on playing and some of them did not even know.It was a great Show and I want to congradulate Ken Latchum as the remaining President for another year Glenn Landing Vise President. Ed Shoemaker Treasureer, and Harry Hyde I'm trying to wind down from yesterday.What a Great bunch of Guys at that Show.
Sam White
Ken Latchum

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2003 1:41 pm    

Hi Sam:
Yes! you are making improvement and it shows! Just continue your practicing and you will make it. I know it comes a lot easier to some than others but you will make it. I congratulate you on your improvement.

Ken Latchum
President MASGA
Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2003 2:16 pm    

Sam,
I agree with you 100%. Those folks know how to put on a Steel guitar Jam and a nice group of folks to boot. I met some of my Gastonia area friends of years past and had a good time.
Regardless of your playing level everyone was treated equal and this is the best thing that has happen to promote our instrument in a long time and this is the way it should be. Shows the fine Character of the MASGA Leaders.
And we cannot leave out the ladies and Gents of the Moose lodge, They should hang a sign out on hi-way 29 " Best food in town this a-way" good food and the evening meal was scruplious. Wish I could have stayed for the Sunday show ,but had to go down to Charlotte for Grandson's Soccer Game, Us Papa's have to support our Grands.
Many Thanks, to you all for a nice week-end.
Vern

[This message was edited by Vernon Hester on 28 September 2003 at 05:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by Vernon Hester on 29 September 2003 at 02:04 AM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2003 3:23 pm    

Hi Vern, sorry I missed seeing you at this event as well as some of my other friends. Too much other things happening this week end and had to change my plans at the last moment. Thie is the best organization I have ever been a part of. Perhaps you and I can get together at a future event.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2003 4:04 pm    

What a super event; and a great crowd; I believe it is the largest event we have ever had...who says steel guitar is on the way out; a few more clubs like MASGA arond the country, and Emmons, Carter, etc. would have to buy factorys to build those things. A few more E. R. and Carls promoting like they do would do nothing but expand the steel guitars popularity.. E. R. and Carl, thanks a million; you guys are absolutely first class. Keep up the good work!! and congratulations to Ken Latchum as president for the coming year, Glen Lanning as VP, Larry Hyde as treasurer, and Ed Shoemaker as Secretary...it just does not get any better than that for leadership..

[This message was edited by Bowie Martin on 28 September 2003 at 05:08 PM.]

Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2003 4:10 pm    

Kenny, That would be wonderful,put your Emmons beside those other ones, Boy, Jerry Fleming and his friend had a beautiful tone coming out of their Emmons (super pickers). If we added you to the pack I would just sit and listen
Vern
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2003 7:36 pm    

Hmmm... Jerry Fleming was playing a gorgeous Marlen last time I heard him. Has he changed?

Rick
Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2003 11:59 pm    

Could have been a Marlen, A pretty one was in the section where he was playing. Should have paid more attention to brands and the pickers names. It was a wonderful sound from that section. I am sure someone can set me straight on who was there and the guitars they were playing.
Vern

[This message was edited by Vernon Hester on 29 September 2003 at 02:03 AM.]

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2003 2:34 am    

Jerry Flemming could get great tone out of anything he plays brother....he's got a set of hands and a great big ole heart and when he puts them together....whammo!!!! This was a great jam and professionally sponsored by two great guys and their wives. I saw a lot of friends and met some new ones. Congrats to Ken..Glen...Larry and Shoe. I know your hearts are all in this together and I have no doubt that it will prove to be a great upcoming year for the Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Association. Sam White.....great job buddy...you made me proud. BA...you are the man... Folks I could go on and on but you gotta stop reading about this organization and join us in the fun. Everybody plays.. no matter what level you are at..Here you see some of the best there is and you also get a chance to play your own without fear of judgement. These guys don't wanna judge us they want to watch us grow in the steel world. And I gotta tell you...I learn so very much when I get around these guys. Tony Prior.. you are a riot my friend...had a great time with you. The amp I was playing through was the new Peavey 112. This thing is light and has a lot of guts. There was a great deal of interest in the amp and I urge you to Get with my friend Rick McDuffie at Tarheel Music so he can hook you up. Boy do these amps sell fast. www.tarheelmusic.com. I would like to thank you all for your interest in my seat "the Walker" and I apologize for not having them on display for you all to see. There was a mix up between me and Herby Wallace and as a result none were brought to the jam other than my personal one which I was sitting on. I won't let that happen again. You guys that were asking...please e-mail me and I promise to take care of you right away. Steve...ya done great brother and I wouldn't miss the jam in Bristol for anything...Great job on the band guys...we all enjoy good musicians playing with us...All in all...great fun this weekend and a great memory maker.

Regards
Ray Walker
Walker Seats
Mullen D-10
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2003 3:16 am    

Ken Latchum says that Jerry still has that GREAT Marlen, but was playing a PP Emmons for the weekend. This clears up the confusion. I'm glad to hear this, as I've become a Marlen devotee

Sorry I missed the extravaganza!

Thanks to Ray for showing the new Nashville 112!

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 29 September 2003 at 04:17 AM.]

Shoe

Richmond, KY USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2003 6:28 am    

Hey Sam, you sure missed a fine time on Sunday. I was worn out by 9pm Saturday but went to the motel and got a good sleep so I could stay all day Sunday. We started with setups, tuning and gab with old friends and new friends. Then Ken Latchum led us in a most beautiful prayer and we had a round robin jam of gospel tunes which lasted over an hour. E.R.'s family and friends,(I forgot their stage name) sang some great songs with harmony that would knock your hat in the creek.
We then played to our tracks. I can't believe that I got up the nerve to play 2 of Herby Wallace's tunes with him standing right behind me. My mouth got dry and I shook so hard the volume pedal made a sound like some strange chorus. But the audience appeared to enjoy it. If you know Herby, he took it in stride. He's one fine fellow.
I hope you can make it to Fayetteville on November 22 - 23, 2003. We'll have a ball.
Shoe

------------------
Edwin G. Shoemaker
ZB Custom D10 8/5
'75 Session 400 w/JBL Session 500 w/BW

[This message was edited by Shoe on 29 September 2003 at 07:51 AM.]

Ken Latchum

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2003 8:48 am    

I want to thank all the folks that came out this past weekend to our Super Jam held in Kannapolis Nc. A lot of folks helped to make this Jam a success. It was the best one yet as we had so many players bring their steels and played them. We usually have a few players that come, but at the last minute decide to leave their instruments in the trunk of their car because they think they are't good enough to play. I don't think that situation happened this past weekend. We encourge all players (in a very big way) regardless of playing level from the very beginner to the most seasoned player to join in. We go "all out" and to great extremes to make them feel welcome and let them know that we want them to participate.
There are so many people to thank, for this Jam being such a success. I will try to mention all of them. If I forget someone please forgive me, so just help me by adding another post and let me know I forgot someone. First a big thank you goes out to our host and MASGA Members ER Chandler, Carl Epling and especially their wives (who worked the door continually for both days ) The Moose lodge folks for their fantastic facility and for their hospitality and great food they provided both days. I want to thank Tony Prior (MASGA Member) and the band he provided Sat. They did a great job. I want to thank Mike Calaway (MASGA Member) for the Seminar on Sat. (Very interesting topics that everyone can use) I want to thank Herby Wallace for making the Journey to be with us on Sun. I want to thank ER Chandler's Brother (Dean Chandler) who played the keybord while backing up the steelplayers on some specials, also The Gospel group "Happy Tones" that performed in the gospel hour on Sunday. I want to thank everyone that came out and participated in our great MASGA event and sorry for those that couldn't make it. The MASGA is an organization formed to support and to promote the Steelguitar. The MASGA supports and encourages all the folks that play the instrument regardless of playing level and also those that just love to listen to the steelguitar and its beautiful sound. As Sam mentioned we had 27 guitars set up and had additional folks/guitars come and set up on Sun that couldn't make it on Sat. We had folks all the way from Pa,Va,Ky,Tn,Nc,Sc.
Make your plans to attend a future MASGA Event and watch for the postings on the Forum so you can make your plans to attend.
I want to thank all the folks that have worked with me and supported me this past year while at the Helm of the MASGA and want to thank everyone for the continued support that we are going to need for this coming year. Congratulations to Glen Lanning who was voted in as Vice President, Ed Shoemaker as Secretary, and Larry Hyde at Treasurer. Membership is only $20 per year and this includes your spouse. If you are interested in knowing more about the MASGA, please call numbers listed below.

(Ken Latchum) 434-792-2287
(Glen Lanning) 919-566-4203
(Ed Shoemaker) 910-423-1045
(Larry Hyde) 252-459-4047

Thanks Again
Ken Latchum
President MASGA
(Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Asso)
Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2003 6:47 pm    

Hi Guys,

I would also like to thank Carl, ER, Tony, Ken, the ladies and everyone for a very enjoyable weekend. The food, fellowship and music was great! It was great to see all my old friends and meet Vern. He is a gentleman and a fine steel player with a style of his own. I look forward to seeing and hearing everyone pick again soon.

Rick, thanks for asking about my Marlen. No I have not retired it and would never consider selling it. Those that know me well will tell you the love and respect I have for my dear friend Leonard Stadler and the Marlen guitar. I would like to see his legacy and the Marlen live on. He touched my life like no other and showed me the first licks on the pedal steel and how to hold my bar. I sure do miss getting together and playing together at his store. I have so many fond memories listing to Leonard and Arnett play in the back room after hours.

I have a couple of guitars and recently traded a friend for the Emmons push pull. I must say I really like it a bunch. We are just getting to know one another LOL This was the first time I have actually played it out. Thanks to Mike Calaway and Bryan Adams for teaching me how to adjust it properly. Ok helping me fix my screw up!

Vern, Ray, I appreciate the kind words I am truly humbled. I think everyone played great and we feed off each other for inspiration.

Sam, You are an inspiration. I loved your patriotic performance. Keep up the good work. ( Tell Anna to stop counting how many Brownies I eat )

The only regret I have is that I did not on record Sunday. Joe Turner played "Something About That Name" and brought tears to my eyes. It was the most beautiful version I have ever heard. Very tasteful from the heart with the sweetest tone I ever heard. Can you tell I was touched ? It was awesome!

I was sorry I had to leave early and did not get to hear Herby play. I did enjoy getting to chat and pick up a few goodies. Thanks for coming Herbie! We apprecate your support and love your picking.

I alo got to play Ed's ZB! It plays like a dream and sounds great! Billy's workmanship is a work of art! When you get a chance take a look at the detail and precision of this guitar! Ed I noticed he put the pedals on backwards but no one is perfect

**** I also got a chance to play and inspect Bryan's '65 Push Pull and boy does it have the bark! It looks like brand new. I could not get over the detail of the mechanics and how smooth it played. He knows how to set one up and make it sing! Sorry I forgot to mention this eariler... I got caught up in my new toy! Bryan please forgive me! I will see you in Bristol Oct 11 & 12th! Thanks again for your help. I don't know what I would do without friends like You, Wayne and Mike!

I can't wait till the next one..

All The Best,

Jerry Fleming

[This message was edited by Jerry Fleming on 30 September 2003 at 06:52 PM.]

Bryan Adams

Mountain City, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2003 8:56 pm    

thanks carl and e.r. fo a gteat show, we really enjoyed being there and getting to pick and see everyone...lots on good pickers. good food and a real nice hall...thanks again guys....BA
Shoe

Richmond, KY USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2003 4:42 am    

Hi Folks,
I really don't think it matters which steel that Jerry Fleming sits behind. He makes them all sound great. And Jerry, those pedals are exactly where I told Billy Knowles to put them.
E R Chandler

Albemarle, North Carolina, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2003 9:00 am    

thanks for the kind words but if it were not for you great musicians and friends that support us we could not have had such a great event. thanks to the moose lodge assocation for providing the facility and good food. this masga event is one to remember. I thank all who attended and all who took part in the program. I am proud to be associated with the mid atlantic steel guitar association. E R Chandler
Russ

Easton, Pa. Northampton
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2003 6:04 am    

Hi Guys, Yes it was a Great show & We really enjoyed it Nice Place Great food & Some of the Friendliest people you cold ever meet. Thanks for all the encouragement from so many of you it really makes a difference when you have people helping you. I Finally got to listen to my video tape and realized how bad I sounded Especially on Born to Lose But now I know what I have to work on. Thanks again for such a Great Show & Time