| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 vs. Fender Twin reissue
Brandon Bankes

Zanesville, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 12:48 pm    

So heres the deal, for a while I had my eyes set on getting a Nashville 112... however, I just started playing guitar in a surf rock band so I'm looking at getting a used Fender Twin Reverb reissue. I've heard a lot of steel players love playing through the twin.

My question is, I'm playing through a '74 Emmons push-pull, and I'm curious as to what kind of tone the Twin puts out with steel. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone here, but truthfully, I'd rather just buy the Nashville 112 AND the Twin if the tone is going to be drastically different. I know there are tube/solid state issues involved... just like to hear some sides.

Thanks guys!
Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 1:03 pm    

I have both amps, and to my ears, the twin sounds better for steel. Added bonus is it has two channels so when I am doubling I can EQ each channel differently.
If I am just playing steel on the gig I bring the Peavey since it is quite a bit lighter and smaller.
Just my opinion,
Joe
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 5:06 pm    

Hey. Just a note, and a real good tip.

Try using BOTH a 112 and a smaller Blues Jr. Preferably out of a Podxt in stereo.

The 112 compresses low notes especially on steel. The Blues JR with the lows cut rings the highs through like a bell. By itself the 112 when it compresses the low strings, squishes the highs too.

The 112 has a GREAT large 4" dome, and the speaker REALLY handles guitar lows well.

I'm not sure what the Twin Reissue runs for watts, but if it's not 50 or more, you're gonna run out of headroom really fast with PSG by itself.

To match the clarity and bass handling of a 112/Blues Jr combo, you'd have to have about a hundred watt twin.

JMHO, and worth trying.

I have a Weber Blue Dog in the Blues Jr. HIghs are crystal clear.

Smile

EJL
Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2009 9:36 pm     Twin or Nashville 112

Brandon,

That may not be a fair comparison. The Twin is a tube amp with lots of power and 2 speakers. The Nashville 112 is a solid state amp with one speaker and about 80 watts.

I have one of each sitting right here in my studio. A '69 twin with JBLs and a new Nashville 112. I will tell you for sure - there is no comparison. The Nashville 112 is great if you are playing a small room, or if you are miked . . and it sounds pretty good.

BUT - The Twin Reverb sounds better than pretty good - It is GREAT! It is heavy and bigger, but that's why God made WHEELS.

My advice - Get the TWIN while you are YOUNG and STRONG and can still HEAR. When your back goes out and your knees are tired and one arm is longer than the other from carrying that TWIN around, by then your ears will be gone too and you won't care!

. . . (that was a joke - no harm intended to my friends playing 112s)