| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another post about tone (Jeff Newman)
Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 2:35 pm    

While siting at home with a back injury from (you guessed it)loading and unloading eqipment, I came accross this on Jeffs website.I can still hear this genious of a man with his comical voice as I read this.There's a lot of truth here. Jeff is still missed in the steel guitar community but he left us with a vast wealth of knowledge that will still be carried on beyond our lifetimes.

Happy New Year

Tone Be or Not Tone Be (That is not the question)

Shakespeare was a pedal steel guitar player. Yes, yes, he was also a poet , or a writer, or something like that, and he wrote the words you see in the title above. Yes, he did. This is what he really wrote and it got misprinted, or misinterpreted somehow along the line. Even then, he knew the secret that everybody has been trying to discover for the last 150 years. He was talking about tone...that wonderful sound that a great pedal steel guitar player makes when everything is just right.

Tone.

Steel guitar players have spent ever increasing amounts of money on guitars, amplifiers, effects units, and palm readers looking for that tone. And yet, it escapes most of us. The reason is simple, we are looking in all the wrong places.

While it is true that we must have a minimum of equipment in order to get some tone, like a guitar, an amplifier, and a volume pedal. That, in this age, is of little or no concern. I have not seen a guitar made in the last 20 years that is not of good quality, or an amp for pedal steel that won't do the trick. There was a time when I have played some guitars that literally let the note die before the pick got off the strings. I haven't seen one of those guitars in years though.

The question is then: just what does it take to get a tone like John Hughey, or Paul Franklin Jr? I can tell you from 40 years of playing with and sitting with all the best players in the world, it has nothing to do with what kind of guitar the man is playing. The guitar is a man's preference only because it "feels" mechanically sound to him. It may be in how it looks as well.

I am personally convinced that any red guitar will play faster notes than all the others. My only complaint is that they have sold other people red guitars, and now they can all play faster than I can, or at least equally as fast. I was told I would be the only person on earth with a red guitar.

Everybody wants to buy some tone. It ain't for sale! It isn't a thing. It is a sound, like a spirit. You can't hold it, see it, steal it buy it, give it away, or understand it. You either have it, or you don't.

Those that have it, got it by accident, like a gift from God. It comes with time and it manifests itself through the hands.

Tone is in the hands.
There are little camps of all knowing, all seeing pedal steel guitar players everywhere you go, and all of them have discovered the secret of tone. A black 1965 Emmons push-pull guitar is one of those discoveries. Get one, it will make you sound like Buddy Emmons. And while you are at it, get a wife that looks just like his, and you might as well move to Nashville and sleep in his bed. Do all these things and you will get his tone, won't you?

Consider who in all the world we esteem to have the best tone. If you could sit right next to, or directly in front of, all the great players of notorious fame, as I most certainly have after 40 years of playing and living in Nashville, you could undoubtedly see the answer in a heartbeat. They all play, or have played every kind of guitar made. They have all played every kind of amplifier manufactured. Yet, they all have this wonderful thing called tone.

It is in their right hand. It is in the way they place it left and right down the string length. It is in the shape of the fingers, and in the way they strike the strings. Some play down, some up and back, and yet some in several distinctly different moves for different colors of tones.

The right hand is a paint brush in the hands of an artist. Each artist sees, or hears notes in his personal style. He adjusts his right hand to paint the color he sees best for any certain line of notes. It changes. Great players are moving the right hand left and right, forward and back all the time. The picks change the angle of attack from one line of notes to another. This thing is a science all to itself.

How hard the picks hit the string makes a tremendous difference in the tone the pickup sends to the amp. Tone comes from the left hand in the form of vibrato. Vibrato is the very voice and breath of life in this instrument. It can either make sustain, or destroy it.

People who argue that tone comes from the name on the front of a guitar, or from some effects unit, or some amplifier, have never studied a truly great player's right hand. That is the last thing most of us watch when we listen to a live performance. We watch the pedals, and the left hand sending that bar from left to right. We are all watching for something we can steal from this guy, that is why we call it "steel" guitar isn't it? We don't watch the right hand, it doesn't do anything we can really benefit from does it? It is doing everything that makes the left hand, and the pedals sound great.

And then there is the final argument. Of all the those little camps of players who are so sure they have the cosmic truth about great tone, have we ever really stopped to listen to their playing and their tone instead of their incessant bickering about how who gets it?

There is an old English proverb I think: The proof is in the pudding. Do these soothsayers of truth make good pudding? Do they themselves make the kind of pudding you like to eat? If not, I would suggest that they avail themselves to enough of it to cover themselves from the belly up. And you need to find another cook.

Stop looking for a good reason why you don't sound great. The problem is you and your hands. You don't need another guitar, this one will do. You don't need another amp, this one will do. You certainly don't need effects units, Jimmy Day has proven that.

When you have discarded all these lame excuses you will be left with your ears and your hands. Gee, you had those all this time. Each pedal steel guitar player is issued two of each, twice as many as you really need. What a deal!

Jeff
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 3:10 pm    

This'll go over like a lead balloon! Laughing
James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 3:26 pm    

Its interesting though, Jeff didn't say that the guitar, amp, pickup don't have anything to do with the tone, he's just saying that nowadays just about all pedal steel equipment is more than sufficient and can be subtracted from the "tone problem". It seems that that point is quite often overlooked. Hmmm... Smile

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 3:33 pm    

I know thats right Donnie. Theres been a lot of debate over this.I just wanted to post this topic that Jeff wrote.The man had a great sense of humor. Smile I can take the same equipment that Buddy,Paul,Tommy and so many more use and I'm still going to sound like me.Cheers and Happy New year to everyone.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 3:39 pm    

i've said it everytime it comes up. i think most people aren't listening!
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 4:47 pm    

Ha Ha!! Laughing Laughing
This ought to light some fireworks for the new year!!
Think i'll get me a chair & some popcorn to watch this one - Winking Very Happy

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 4:50 pm    

Unfortunately, Mr. Newman was wrong. Equipment DOES effect tone immensly.
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 5:12 pm    

Everyone knows except Chris that it comes from those red thumbpicks, and he has cancer...
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 5:17 pm     Re:

And no matter what you use or play,it only takes a sound man a few seconds to screw your sound up.(quote by the late Curly Chalker.)
A friend of mine once asked a well know steel player and teacher who had many articles about steel players why didn't he ever write about the best there ever was.(Chalker) and sure made him mad.
I know this happened first hand.Not hear say.Mad
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 6:56 pm    

FOLKS, HERE'S PROOF THAT TONE IS IN THE HANDS!

CLICK HERE
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 8:15 pm    

All I'll say is that the mind is a funny thing. It can be convinced into believing most anything. That's definitely a fact, if not, hypnosis wouldn't work at all.

I've always felt my old steel was equal to anything I'd heard, and I believe it still is doday. And, I've always been satisfied with the tone.

I honestly believe if a person plays from his/her heart, then it simply can't help but to reproduce what's in the heart, out and onto the strings. Call it soul, call it whatever, but it's there.

I absolultely agree with what Jeff said, to be 100% the truth, as he felt it to be. Whether or not it's right, I too feel very much the same.

Only thing is, I'd say it does take an amplifier that's capable of producing a true output of what's being fed into it, as opposed to an amp that doesn't quite get that part of the job done.

However, I've never felt I had great hands though. Just a great imagination of what it was I wanted to play.. Embarassed Very Happy
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 8:39 pm    

Maybe it's all in the red thumb picks!

I think it all starts with the hands, everything else just adds to the sound.

Seriously, try practicing without an amp/reverb/delay/picks or whatever else you think makes you sound like your favorite player then see what you think about what Jeff said.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 9:16 pm    

Bo, in all seriousness.. I've never managed to sound like any of my favorite players. Nor, do I think anyone else ever does. At best, maybe some of the familiar styles, but never like them.

The best I could ever achieve, was to sound exactly like Don Brown.. Good, bad or indifferent, that's about as honest as I can be.

I think everyone who plays, sounds exactly like himself/herself.

It's much the same if you pull off some of the Rugg licks and phrases. You'll come down and someone will most always say, "Wow you sound just like so and so." And it's the licks they're speaking of. I think folks get confused sometimes.Very Happy

Have a Great New Year Everyone.

Don
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2008 9:20 pm     Re:

Bo Borland wrote:
Maybe it's all in the red thumb picks!

I think it all starts with the hands, everything else just adds to the sound.

Seriously, try practicing without an amp/reverb/delay/picks or whatever else you think makes you sound like your favorite player then see what you think about what Jeff said.

Sorry to have to correct you but black picks sound best.lol
Really,i still have some black thumb picks i got from Reece Anderson back in the early 70s when i worked at MSA,
Many of the younger pickers wouldn't believe some of the picks and strings many of us road pickers used back in the dinasour days,We used what ever we could find.And in those days we got to use the C6th a lot as swing was still popular.
Now grab hold of something so you won't fall over but i have gone 3 or more years with out changing the strings on the C6th neck playing 6 nights a week and some tmes 7.Liked that flat punchy sound and no reverb.When we Killed a note or chord off it was killed.Played mostly in chords on the C6th back in those wonderful days.LOL
Scott Hiestand

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 12:16 pm    

While I understand totally what Jeff said, and agree with it in principle, I also agree with Kevin that equipment does make a difference. And it probably makes more of a difference to "average" players. The greats like Buddy, Lloyd, JH, etc. can sit down at any guitar and make it sound wonderful, no doubt. I won't even go into all the reasons why, but I am sure right hand technique and touch is paramount.

But....

I imagine the majority of us have gone through a few guitars and have settled on the one or ones we like best with tone as a major factor. I own or have owned 5 different guitars and they all had tonal differences. I'm not attacking the strings differently on these guitars, and I only have 1 amp so everything else has been consistent.

I think the point Jeff was really making was we could all improve our tone more by stopping the worry over which "brand" to play, and spending more time concentrating on right-hand technique. I won't argue with that concept. As Bo said, yes it starts with the hands - but there is more to it than that. There has to be.