Author Topic:  'Opry' moving from CMT network
Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 2:35 pm    

'Opry' moving from CMT network

By BRIAN MANSFIELD
Gannett News Service

Switch keeps show on TV each week

The Grand Ole Opry is getting a new television home.

Beginning Oct. 4, Grand Ole Opry Live, the televised one-hour part of the weekly country music radio show, will move from Country Music Television to competitor Great American Country.

''It's the crown in the country programming business,'' GAC President Jeff Wayne said. ''If there's a single show out there that could drive demand for our network to help us grow, it's Opry Live.''

The Opry will lose reach in the switch. GAC is in 25 million U.S. households, compared with CMT's 70 million.

The Opry will, however, maintain its regular weekly presence and increase the number of repeat telecasts for Grand Ole Opry Live. The show now airs at 7 p.m. each Saturday and will air live at 7 p.m. when it moves.

CMT's Grand Ole Opry Live telecast draws 1.5 million to 2 million viewers, making it the cable channel's highest-rated weekly series.

''It's appointment viewing for a lot of people,'' said Steve Buchanan, senior vice president for media and entertainment at Gaylord Entertainment, which owns the Opry.

''Basically, what they (CMT) were proposing was a limited series,'' he said. ''We would not have had the same frequency we have currently, and we would not have had the same frequency we will have with GAC.'' GAC will run fewer live episodes of the show, at least initially: a minimum of 26 in the first year of the deal, down from 40-plus. ''It will increase as we go over the following years,'' Wayne said. GAC also will repeat Grand Ole Opry Live five times: once Saturday, twice Sunday, and twice Tuesday. CMT repeats the show once on Saturday and on Sunday.

CMT said in a statement yesterday: ''CMT loves, respects, and supports the great institution of the Grand Ole Opry and its significance in country music. The contract has reached the end of its term. CMT and Gaylord Entertainment negotiated for a new term, but an agreement was not reached.''
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 7:51 pm    

Thanks for the info Mike.
Jerry
Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 8:38 pm    

Many thank's too for the info Mike.
The show must go on and a newer provider might just be another answer to get more of "our" kind of music coming our way.

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 9:20 pm    

Check out the other thread here:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum10/HTML/003302.html
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 3:49 am    

I guess, I lose, I don't get the new cable channel on my Cable Package, have never even heard of it. Maybe it's time to get the dish!

------------------
Regards, Craig

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 4:36 am    

hi mike
this is paul wade from illinios . i have comcast cable up here do you know if i could get that program up here

paul wade
mundelein,ill
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 4:57 am    

Paul, in the other thread on this topic, Chris Schlotzhauer said it is on a channel in the 400's on Comcast in DFW. That would mean it's only available on digital cable and you would need a cable box to see it.

I don't have digital cable and probably won't upgrade just to see one show that rarely has anything I'm interested in watching.

I suggest checking it's availablity in your area by either calling them or entering your zip code here: http://www.comcast.com/ to see if it's available in your area.
Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 10:18 am    

Those of us with DirecTV may contact DirecTV to request GAC by clicking here.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2003 3:39 pm    

For Craig, it's not so new, GAC has been available for some time on our local cable network, owned by Cable One, Louisville, KY.

It's Ch. 167 on DISH Network, I've noticed.

The site is www.GACTV.com if anyone is interested.
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2003 6:22 am    

We have a dish, but have never heard of this channel. Don't guess I will be able to see the Opry anymore.
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2003 6:29 am    

This could be a good move. I hope so and thanks for the information.

Carl West
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 11:36 am    

Well, to help show my support for what's left of good Country Music, I have just cancelled my SAT/TV and am going back to my former Cable Service, which offers GAC. My SAT/TV does not offer GAC at this time. Is that a reason to switch, or what? I still like to see the Sat. evening 1 hr. Live Opry, just in case something good comes along! And to think, you can watch it up to (6) times! W0W!

------------------
“Big John” {(< http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels