| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Volume Pedal
Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 8:55 am    

I just ran across an Emmons volume pedal with an extra Allan Bradley 500K type J mounted in the back side of the pedal. It is exactly like the one mounted inside the pedal. Does anyone know the purpose of this extra would be.
Thanks
Billy
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 1:05 pm    

I have one like that - has a switch to engage the 2nd pot and a knob to control it. I don't know how it works, but the best I can describe it is to say that it gives a kind of a clean boost of some sort. It's all passive electronics, so I don't know what's happening there, but it clearly works and works well.

If I ever get another Emmons pedal, I will retrofit it the same way.

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 2:21 pm    

The purpose is to let you change the taper. In other words you can get more volume change at the quiet end, or at the loud end of your foot movement. It also changes tone a little bit, which can be a good thing.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 3:35 pm    

That sounds about right. It seems more sensitive to small changes in pedal movement, but it definately has more bark. Thanks for the info, Ernest.

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 7:57 pm     Emmons

Talked with Clyde Mattocks after I posted this topic and he said the same things as Ernest and Steve said. I was confused becaused it used a volume pot but as explained it also changes the tone when used in this manner.
Thanks for the replys,
Billy
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 8:06 pm    

I believe it's known of as "the Myrick mod".
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 8:55 pm    

Yep, what Jim said.
Jerry
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 6:49 pm    

Just curious. How many of you PP owners have one of the early drop pin volume pedals? I call it the 1st edition drop pin pedal.I'm sure Chris has a couple. I guess a nice one would bring 50 or 60 bucks. Very Happy
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 6:57 pm    

Bobby, I have 4 of them but only one pin. I guess I need to use it for a pattern and have 3 more made. I have Dunlop pots to go it them when I get time, then I will clean them up and move 3 of them out.
Jerry
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 7:29 pm    

If you plug your cords in backwards, you will notice a fairly dramatic difference in tone, it will get
thin sounding. This pot actually allows you to access any point between the extremes. I like to
play mine plugged in the normal way, but with the pot backed off slightly. Seems to give me the lows I want while cleaning up the overall sound.

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 11:58 am    

Jerry Roller wrote:
Bobby, I have 4 of them but only one pin. I guess I need to use it for a pattern and have 3 more made. I have Dunlop pots to go it them when I get time, then I will clean them up and move 3 of them out.
Jerry

Jerry, shoot me an e-mail or a pm when/if you decide you want to turn loose of one of these. Thx. SF

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 12:35 pm     Pedal Pin

Jerry,

The last time I asked Ron Lashley, he told me he had quite a few Emmons pedal pins in stock, so you might give him a call before you have some made.

Best regards,

Lynn