| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  X Country. What Happened?
Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2008 9:24 am    

Sorry guys I just have to vent. I've had what used to be X Country, now Outlaw Country,(XM/Sirius Radio) on for about an hour this morning. I've heard China Grove, Sun Spot Baby, Whats Your Name, Can't You See and a DJ that thinks he has a schtick. Sounding more like commercial radio to me. I'm bummed. What is it about radio, that eventually it all has to sound the same. Even if we pay for it. DAMN!
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2008 4:07 pm    

It is set up by dummies, that have no clue what the music is all about. The ones calling the shots, have a piece of paper hanging on their wall from some college, or school, that says they know everything. They might get some of their ideas from the modern GOO?

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2008 9:12 pm    

What happened is that XM and Sirius merged. In that merge XM ended for all intents and purposes. What you get in the new Sirius/XM is really the old Sirius, which was and is horrible. They have ruined all the former XM channels by replacing XM's unique and edgy playlists with the same type of boring,cliched, crap you can hear on local free radio. Satellite radio is officially DEAD, killed by the Sirius hierarchy.
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 8:54 am    

I am really disappointed with the new "outlaw Country" swap for X-Country...

X-Country music used to be edgy enough on it's own and the DJ's had their hearts in it, knew the music and had respect for the up and coming artists.

Now for "edge" they seem to feel the need to drop the F-Bomb constantly (as if they're putting something over on the FCC) between playing music arbitrarily deemed "outlaw";and the percentage of contemporary "Americana" artists getting played seems to have shrunk in favor of ,oh, i dunno, playing 3Dog Night doin' "Never Been to Spain" and calling that "outlaw"(a real example)... just calling something outlaw doesn't make it so... calling a "dog dropping" a cigar doesn't make it one.

while Mojo Nixon may be a character, a competent DJ he isn't IMO

what a drag
Jessie Scott RuLeZ and it's a damn shame she ain't around no more.
www.davevanallen.net :: ::Last Train Home
Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 11:12 am    

Yep. REALLY SUCKS!! I just really don't get why good radio can't stay good radio. I had my doubts about Satellite Radio, but I thought "Hey, we're paying for it." Sure enough, given time, looks like its going to fold to commercial type programming. DAMN!
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 10:32 pm    

Former X-Country programme director Jessie Scott came to Last Train Home's Sunday gig; it was good to see her.

she informed us of an online petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/BBXM12/petition.html

to "bring X-Country back"

(I have my doubts about the effectiveness of this approach but it didn't stop me from participating...) at the least it seems to be a good place to vent with others of like mind about the changes @ Sirius/XM.

Subscription cancellations likely speak louder, but apparently if folks call in to cancel they are given a month free to "give the new formats a chance"

weasles.
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 11:53 pm     Whatever That Is...

There's lots of good Americana or alt-countrywhateverthatis out there somewhere. No Depression Magazine had a pretty good radar for it, but XM and Sirius have never had a clue. As far as I'm concerned, both services' takes on this genre amount to two boring, tiresome, unimaginative rock channels. (Less rock, more billy.) As titanically disappointed as I was as an XM subscriber, I'll say this for X-Country: At least they didn't have Moro Nixon (misspelling intentional).

Cortez, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 9:10 pm    

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 11:22 am    

What happened? The thing that always happens when bunch of suits who don't care about music overanalyze a good thing trying to maximize their return on investment. They screw with it until they destroy it and then cluelessly wonder why it goes down the toilet and everybody starts yelling at them. I can give you dozens of examples in many industries.

It was my supreme confidence that this would quickly happen that convinced me not to mess around with paid mainstream satellite radio.

Really - why do any of us need mainstream satellite radio? Between digitized old LPs and tons of stuff on youtube and the internet in general, why would we want a bunch of suits who neither know or care about roots music of any kind picking our playlists?

I suppose there is a convenience aspect to having someone choose material. But if what you want is an interesting mix taken out of a large pool of cool tunes, it seems to me that a random playlist generator from an mp3 player with 10,000 really interesting tunes would work just as well or better.

[Edited to add - the "suits" I'm talking about are emphatically not the old program directors of the interesting programs that were on here for the first year or two. I'm talking about upper management. This class distinction that has routinely put upper management of US companies seriously out of touch may well doom us economically if we don't fix it. IMHO.]