| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Price/Value Inquiry
Ken Nash

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 1:59 pm    

Hello,

Please help me determine the value/price of my antique pedal steel guitar. I want to sell it but unsure of what price to ask. I was told it was built about 1951 by Gibson. It is an 8-string, 6-pedal Gibson Multi-Kord. The pictures are attached.

Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards,

Ken

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 4:01 pm    

Looks like it's missing a cable for the longest pedal.

I don't know the current market value, but I do know that most people think these are worth more than they really are. The problem is that they are only interesting to collectors - most players have no use for them - and there aren't very many steel guitar collectors in the world. Supply is greater than demand.

I've seen Multi-Kords go for as little as $200 ten years ago. Yours looks really nice (except for the missing cable), but I don't think it's a top-of-the-line model. If I were buying for resale, I wouldn't risk more than $300 on it.

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 6:15 pm    

I could be wrong but I don't think Gibson made the Multi-chord. Was it not the Harlen Brothers? I know Gibson made a similiar instrument called the Multiharp. This type changer is OK changing tunings such as basic E6th, push pedal and have C6th or push a different pedal and have A6, maybe an E13th but it is not much for "Highway 40 Blues".
Jerry
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 8:25 pm    

The Multi-Kord was made by Harlin Industries. The Multi-Harp was the one that was made by Gibson.

Multi-Kords regularly bring between $250 and $550, though their actual worth is nearer the lower price. The 6-strings are more plentiful, but the 8-string models really don't bring much more. Probably because most are bought by people who have absolutely no idea what they are, considering them to be a student or "entry level" pedal guitar (on the order of an Emmons or Sho~Bud student model).

Boy, are they surprised! Laughing
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 10:03 am    

I believe the instrument made by Gibson was the "Electra Harp".
I had one in my possession at one time and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Whoa!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 10:30 am    

Yes Erv, Gibson also made the Electra-Harp, but that one is seldom confused with a Multi-Kord (as their Multi-Harp sometimes was).
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 10:36 am    

Are they like Corvairs? Collect 'em but dont drive 'em?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 12:51 pm    

Hard to tell, Glen. I will say that for all the thousands of them that were made, I've never seen a single one at a steel show or jam. Alien
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 3:00 pm    

I think that they were very limited mechanically. Wasn't there a problem with lowers, so bad that only raises were practical?

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 11:24 am    

Ken,
I have a double neck 8 string Multi Kord. I have watched quite a few ebay sales for both single and double neck models. The singles go for $150 to $350 depending on condition, the doubles for $200 to $500. Yours looks to be in great shape except for the broken cable. Good luck to you if you decide to sell.

Jim
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 12:22 pm    

b0b wrote:
I think that they were very limited mechanically. Wasn't there a problem with lowers, so bad that only raises were practical?

I have played a Multi-Kord for years and I knew and worked for the Harlin Bros. back in the 1950's.

I have never had any trouble with the mechanics of their changers. The raises and lowers on mine work perfectly if set up & tuned correctly. I own four of them. I also have set up and tuned many others over the years. However the cables to the pedals left a lot to be desired. I made 3/16 pedal rods for the one I play.

The Multi-Kord changers were unique in that they were capable of raising or lowering any string with each pedal in any combination within the limits of string stretch. Also the tunings on the changer can be changed to whatever you want within a matter of minutes. The modern pedal steels take hours to accomplish that.

What other pedal steel guitar being manufactured today has the same capabilities?

The Multi-Kord changer which had some similarities to the Gibson Electro Harp, had locking nuts on the tuning screws which the Electro Harp didn't, which to my understanding resulted in the Electro Harp not staying in tune very well.

Jay Harlin was the first to hold a patent on a "Hawaiian" pedal steel guitar (under the lid on the changer end you will see Harlin Bros. and patent numbers) and as a result and a legal dispute, Gibson had to discontinue the Electro Harp, which I believe was designed for Gibson by Alvino Rey.

Multi-Kords over the years have been downplayed as an inferior pedal steel guitar, however in their day there really was none better that I know of. I still have my first one,-- an all cast aluminum six string four pedal model that my father purchased for me in 1948.

Soon, other manufacturers came on the scene and created different designs targeted for the country music people and it is true Multi-Kords are as a result way outdated.

I still think Jay Harlin & the Harlin Bros. Multi-Kord should be in the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 3:05 pm    

I stand corrected. Very Happy

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 7:12 pm    

b0b, any input you may have is always respected and appreciated.

Thanks for all you have accomplished by allowing guys like me to be priviledged to be a part of it.

I just hope in some some small way once in a while I can contribute something of value, which is my only intent.

Happy New Year to all Very Happy

Danny
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 9:17 pm    

The pedal assembly looks like something you would see on an old tractor.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2008 4:59 am    

For what it is worth, My late friend Eugene Mears could play all the Mooney licks on the Multi-Kord and they were great. He used both feet on the pedals and worked the volume knob with his right palm.
He also knew the Harlins as he came from that area.
He worked and played around the Battle Creek Mich area in later years. I still miss him.....

Old Bud