| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Line man working for the Power Companys (Steel Players)
autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 8:55 am    

I was a Lineman Trainee for Texas Power & Light in 67. Made my first Ice Storm in 68. Let me tell you these guys earn their money.
Was wondering if there are any Steel Players/Lineman that are members of this great forum.
If their are thank you in advance for the great job you are doing under those freezing conditions.
John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 9:12 am    

Thanks for your post Autry.
The guys working for Snohomish County P.U.D. are doing an unbelievable job right now under horrendous conditions. The snow has just kept on coming, the trees go down and power lines damaged. They have responded at all hours magnificently. We've had three seperate events (tree down/power out)just on our couple of miles of side road. You're absolutely right they deserve a huge expression of gratitude. This morning started out snow/rain mix now its just hard snow again, lights have been flickering, more trees will go down.
John
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 9:15 am    

I'd like to say a big thank you not only to our own NH linemen but to all of the crews that came here from out of state and Canada to help out after our most recent ice storm. Immediately after the storm we had 400,000 customers without power (that's approx half of the state). In many cases, entire electric substations and miles of poles and wires had to be replaced often in mountainous areas. To add to the challenge temperatures have been near or below zero at nite and we've had two blizzards just last weekend. The crews never stopped working day and nite for the past 12 days and have done their best to get everyone back online before Christmas.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 9:59 am    

My dad worked for Central Power & Light for over 40 years. Luckily, he was able to move up the ladder into management. Until then, he was pretty much "on call" 24/7.

I worked on crews every summer for 4 summers. It was hard work in the sweltering South Texas heat. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to do the work in icy cold weather.

Hats off to the guys that keep our lights and heaters running!
Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 8:01 am    

Autry,I climbed many a ice crusted pole in my career as a Telephone Lineman.This was long before fiber and digital switching Surprised Toll circuits were still on aerial wire! Shocked Microwave towers were fast replacing them however. It was tough hard work!
But we were proud of our work and glad to work for a great local company that really cared about providing people service!

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 8:08 am    

Glen Campbell had a song about that.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 12:13 pm    

I'll throw my appreciation in to these guys as well. They're always doing their best in the worst of conditions.

Having said that, I think some of the local smaller utility companies around here are not farring so well. The last of the power outages from last week's ice storm were finally put online yesterday, 12 days after the outage, and with some of these folks living just 3 miles from the town hall of one of the largest cities in MA. A lot of people - and politicians - are calling for this company to go bye bye....

But again, I'm amazed and impressed by the folks working on the ground to restore the power.

Grandfield, OK USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 5:37 pm     Lineman

35 years of it. Retired as a troubleman last year. Very Happy
Don't miss those Ice storms at ALL! Whoa!
Hope the guys keep the lights on Smile I hate to have to run my amp off a generator Laughing
Mike