| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Newbie Questions....
Griffin Wendt

Green Bay, WI
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 7:54 pm    

Hello all, I'm an inexperienced guitar player. I’ve played bass guitar briefly in the past (over 10 yrs. ago). This (pedal steel) is what I’ve dreamed about doing, and until recently haven’t been able to do. I hate to go over the basic repetitious questions again with the seasoned crew, but I’ve tried to search the forum for the answers I seek and I’m not getting the confirmation I need. Please be patient with me.

First off I’d like to know if there are lessons available via cd or dvd that can teach me the basics both how to play, but more the theory behind cord progressions, keys, etc. There is an instructor in the area, but I won’t be able to afford to get lessons every week. I want to learn the stuff I need to know about how to make a song & how they work, not just how to play one. I’ve done the tab stuff in the past and it’s left me kind of empty because it doesn’t give me a complete understanding of the instrument I’m playing.

Second, I’m not worried about investing money in the “right” equipment I’ll need or soon be left wanting to have. I don’t have anything as of right now, so it’s a clean slate. I’ve looked at many manufacturers, but when you don’t know what you’re looking for it doesn’t do me much good. I’ve recently been looking into a Magnum SD10 or Williams SD10. I understand that I could shop around for a used guitar on the forum, but being inexperienced, I don’t want to be taken advantage of and getting something that I will have to spend twice as much to get properly running. I’ve run into this situation in the past and my rule of thumb is “buy new” unless I 100% trust the buyer.

I hope that someone can lead me into the right direction?
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 8:10 pm    

You should check out buying used from a dealer as an alternative. Hard to beat new if price is not a huge issue, but used can save you a few bucks. I bought my first pro guitar used from a dealer.

You should also monitor the instruments for sale on the forum. You will soon pick up on fellow members that do a lot of wheeling and dealing. They couldn't do this if they weren't square shooters IMHO.

I just went through this process. I would take a few lessons to get on the right track if you can find a good teacher. Nothing like investing in some hard earned cash to keep you practicing!
Brian Kurlychek

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 9:16 pm    

Check out the Jeff Newman stuff at Jeffran.com

SF Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 11:31 pm    

Well I've only been playing steel for a couple of years, but my only advice (FWIW) is to invest in a well maintained, quality instrument. If you get something that fights you with technical playability issues it'll be discouraging.

I also highly recommend the Jeff Newman material. He was one of the best steel teachers around. I got a BIG headstart with his stuff, and his right hand exercise stuff is fabulous.

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 11:38 pm    

You can also find videos from Texas musician Tim McCasland. Tim's got two pedal steel instructional videos for beginners. He teaches everything from scales, chords, how to handle the bar, how to position your steel picks, and how to play songs. If you are lookin' for a used steel as your first steel, Billy Cooper's Steel Guitar Shop carries new and used pedal steels. Billy's got three showrooms of steels in his shop in Orange, Virginia.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Chris Buchanan

Macomb, IL
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 7:04 pm    

Hey Griffin
Check out the links at the top of the page. It will list dealers as well as links to instructional materials and what they contain. Jeff Newman is a good place place to start. But there are different approaches. Plan on trying a few till you find one that fits. b0b sells a nice selection here on the forum. Off the top of my head, I think Bruce Bouton has a book or DVD that examines chord structure, theory and playing.
I bought my steel from the forum. I don't think anyone here would sell you a bum steer. This is a very reputable site. But certainly stay in your comfort zone.
I spent a lot of time just reading posts and writing down bits of info. I was well prepared when I finally got one. I can recommend GFI. It's modern, light, easy to adjust, and plays well.
Best of luck to ya.

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 7:46 pm    

Griffin: I understand that you don't have a PSG(pedal steel guitar)? If you can afford a new magnum or williams then get that.

Also the only way I would buy a used PSG is if I saw it and played it, so go with your gut instinics and stay away from buying sight-unseen, their have been guys burned. I would hate to see you get a bad taste right of the bat! Be smart with your $$$, as I said if you can afford a new PSG I think the decision would be simple.

I would also suggest a weekend trip to billy coopers to test drive some guitars, this really can speed up the choices quickly.

Last edited by A. J. Schobert on 24 Dec 2008 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 9:33 pm    

You can't go wrong with a new Magnum or Williams. They are both professional quality instruments, moderately priced.

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 10:55 pm    

My typing has gotten bad!!!
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 9:49 am    

You are on the right track. Just try and get a steel with 3 pedals, and 4 knee levers, as a minimum. You can have a lifetime of playing with that. I myself never used TAB. I believe in doing songs in your own way, and not copying other artists, but that is just me. If you can afford a new steel, don't even consider a used one. They all look alike, but you have no clue as to what has been modified, or changed on the underside of them. Also, in your best interests, go to a dealer that has steels on display, and sit at them, and try them, even if you cannot play yet, you will find a few that just says buy me. A few steelers want a light weight steel, but I prefer a heavier one. Personal preference. Good luck.

Green Bay, WI
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 8:16 pm    

Thanks for the help. I'll take all your thoughts into consideration. I will let you know how things end up in the near future. If things go good, I'll be posting many more simple beginner questions for you.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 12:34 am    

Griffin,

Welcome to the forum, it is a huge resource for PSG.

If you are able to buy a used PSG from a manufacturer, well and good. I bought a used Carter from their website and it is a peach! Visit the maker's websites and see if they have pre-owned or traded steels for sale. If they have refurbished them you will get a very good guitar, and if they actually manufactured it, you also get factory backup.

Failing that, two of the best PSG dealers are Bobbe Seymour and Billy Cooper...both have websites. These are men of honesty and integrity. Another true gentleman of the PSG is De Witt Scott at Scotty's Music. All of these people will do right by you, all you have to do is contact them, either via the net or by phone. One more name you should have is the great Tom Bradshaw. Tom will put you right about accessories and especially the vexed problem of volume pedal pots. (Scotty, Tom and Jeff Newman are all members of the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame.)

For instructional material I second the suggestion of Jeffran instructional materials. Jeff Newman's greatest legacy is the wealth of teaching material he has left us. From the most raw begnner to seasoned pros wanting to add that little extra something, Jeffran materials are money well spent. Jeff has great humour too!

Please...AVOID EBAY! There is a lot of junk for sale, and junk is still junk, no matter how cheap it is.

Those who advise you to get a decent quality used steel from a known manufacturer are giving you the best advice you could possibly get. All the modern steels are superb instruments with easy playing action and great tone. The last thing you need starting out is an old clunker with worn-out changer, tired springs, slipping tuning-machines, squeaky and binding undercarriage and a roller-nut that doesn't work.

Finally, regard the purchase of your first PSG rather like buying oats. If you want decent quality oats, then pay what the market asks. If, on the other hand, you will settle for the oats after they have passed through the horse...well, that's cheaper! Smile

Most of all, have fun with this magnificent instrument. By joining us here on the forum, you've already got off to a great start. Just keep asking questions.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Paul Foster

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2008 5:16 am     Nubie

HI
I two am a bass player my profession, I play guitar a bit and by far the biggest help I have found is Mickey Adams on U-Tube. Tab does noy work for me, never did, I dont read music, played in the school band, never read music, I think playing steel is as much "Feel" and having a good ear as anything. I have been playing for about 2 MO. and I started with a single neck ZB and now have the most beautiful natural finish Sho-Bud in existence!! It all depends on your desire and how much time you can devote Practice Practice Practice!!!!