| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Really loud buzz
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 10:40 am    

I have an 80's BMI D10 that hums really loudly - about as loud as the guitar tone itself. It's got the stock pick ups. I've bypassed my volume pedal, tried different cords and amps - always the same thing. Anyone have any recommendations? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks,

Abe Levy
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 11:08 am    

The first thing is, if the guitar has single coil pickups, you could switch to a humbucker.

But you also might have a wiring problem. From your description, it sounds like negative lead from the pickup might broken or not making a proper connection to the jack. Better check that out.
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 12:23 pm     Thanks Mike

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering switching to E66s is it difficult to do? I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I know how to use a soldering iron.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 2:14 pm    

If it hums "about as loud as the guitar tone itself," I would think it's definitely an electrical problem. Single coils hum, but not that loud! Flip the guitar over, and start pokin' around. Look for a loose or broken wire. You can't get a shock. As for switcin' to a humbucker? If you like that sound, do it. I don't. I much prefer the sound of single-coil pups. You might consider something like a Truetone.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 2:17 pm    

Abe, look underneath the guitar, and make sure the ground wire hasn't come loose on the pickup wiring. That sure would do it.

Also check where your guitar cord plugs into your steel, and make sure that there is no loose wiring there as well.

One wire should be your ground, and the other your hot wire.

If you have switches for the pickup/s be certain there are no loose wires on those as well.

Hope that helps, because it sounds like that's where the problem is. I'd nearly bet on it.

The shield, should also be connected (grounded) to your changer at some point along it's path.

Don
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 3:38 pm    

Haven't found any loose wires - it does seem to get quieter in different rooms - I've heard that dimmer switches can have an effect -we've got lots of them anybody have any experience with that?

Thank you for your replies!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 3:46 pm    

Just to keep adding to what we know---does the neck selector switch have any affect?

My impression is that BMI's all have humbucking pickups (my 80's S-10 does, as do any I've ever seen). So unless the pickup is not original, it ought to be humbucking. And btw, if it has BL 705's like this--

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=147365

--which is what Zane Beck was using in the 80's, then my opinion is to keep it (unless it turns out it is shorting out).
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 3:50 pm    

Could be like some of the guys said,a bad connection somewhere,yes I think maybe dimmer switches may do this I KNOW sometimes florescent lighting will do this.DYKBC.

Limestone .New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 5:04 pm    

I have a BMI with a BL 705 and have had many hums but never in the steel, They have been in the volume pedal, the effects and the reverb each due to a broken ground wire, likely from vibration, Look around,
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 5:08 pm    

Thanks guys. They are definitely single coil - they are microphonic (?) - you can talk into them. I've moved it away from the dimmers and the flourescents and it's helped quite a bit - should I chalk the rest up to single coils?

The neck selector doesn't seem to have any effect, except when it is in the 'both on' position it gets slightly quieter, but the tone does too.

Thanks again for the responses.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 5:38 pm    

Abe Levy wrote:
Haven't found any loose wires - it does seem to get quieter in different rooms - I've heard that dimmer switches can have an effect -we've got lots of them anybody have any experience with that?

Thank you for your replies!

Lamp dimmers are absolutely the worst offender when it comes to making noise (hum) in audio circuits. You can get dimmers with RFI suppressor circuitry, but they're more expensive than the standard ones. Keep in mind they cause no noise when they're switched off, and they make the least noise when they're turned up to full brilliance.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 8:27 pm    

Abe,

I'm still thinking it's in the wiring that's making it that bad. But then too, as Donny said, if you have lots of dimmers, wait until you turn each of them off. Then see if the problem still exists.

I've played with single coil pickups in all kinds of places, and never had a hum problem.

#1. Did you find the wires shielded down to about the last three inches or so before being soldered to the switches?

#2. Is the shielded cable, also soldered to the pickup selector switch's bare metal for a good ground there too?

#3. Were the exposed wires twisted together? (That also helps to cancel out hum).

That's about all I can think of except if you have good access to the wiring, you might want to try to take a piece of aluminum foil, and wrap around the pickup leads and see if that helps cut it down. Be sure to ground one end of that too. If it does, there's trouble in the wiring at some point. Make sure there is no corrosion of any kind on that output jack, and make sure it's making a good tight connection.

Other than trying the above, without checking it with an ohm meter, that's about it.

PS: After thoughts.. Has anyone added wiring to the leads?

If so, where they're soldered together, could very well be the pickup point of the hum.

Also, make sure there are no sharp points on any of the soldering. That can cause it as well. (Acts like a mini antenna and picks up hum).

Don
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 10:27 pm    

It's the dimmers in the house. Sometimes you don;t even have to be in the same room as the dimmer to experience the negative effect.