| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about the Alkire EHarp Lap Steels
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 6:01 pm    

Hi,
I've been curious about these ten string lap steels. From looking at the ones that have been on Ebay it seems like there are at least three editions of this instrument: the early models with solid whilte laminated bodies and rosewood fingerboards; the next models with the swirly faux pearl laminated bodies (these look like they were made by Valco, Magnatone, etc.), and the later models with solid wood bodies and legs. From the pictures I have seen the pickups look similar on the different editions. I'm curious which versions are the best, and if there are significant differences between the quailty or performance of the different versions. Other than the MSA Superslides and the Alkire EHarps, did anyone else make ten string single-neck lap steels? How do the Alkire EHarps compare to the MSA's or other ten string laps? I'm sure the MSA Super Slides are awesome instruments in a class of there own, but the Eharps look interesting.

Thank you,
Cliff
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 6:15 pm    

My friend, the current Master Of Touch And Tone of Hawaiian steel say's the early models are the best for overall sound.

I 'just' missed out on an earlier dbl. 10 Carvin a while back.
George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 6:53 pm    

Quote:
did anyone else make ten string single-neck lap steels

Here's a pix of my ten string melobar...

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 9:35 pm    

Cliff, yes, there were at least three versions of the eHarp. The earlier ones (white body, Brazilian rosewood fretboard, ornate tuners) were built by Epiphone, and those are considered the most desirable eHarps. The other two versions you mentioned were built by Valco, as far as I know. I have bought and sold several eHarps over the years, and all of the later ones (1950s through early 60s) had the Valco serial numbers.

As far as the sound... in my opinion, the Epiphone models have a more mellow tone than the Valcos. My recording of "Sleepy Lagoon" (link below) was done on an early Epiphone eHarp.
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 10:00 pm    

Cool--thanks so much for the info!
That's a sweet tone, Doug.

Cliff
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 8:42 pm    

IMHO, the early Epiphone EHArps were by far the better sounding and quality instruments. I had one in the very early 50's, with a few Eddie Alkire personal Custom features, like Abalone Tuning Knobs and the tiny aluminum cup for the pinky-finger on the Tone-Control. When I went to a D-8 Gibson Console Grande, my music teacher retained my EHArp for the rest of his life. He past away several years ago and the instrument was inherited by his son, still in mint-condition. When I had the chance to buy it back from my teacher, in his later years; it was just a little more than I could afford at the time. At the present time, his son wants to keep it as a keepsake and is not ready to part with it now! Perhaps some time later on! He said I'd have first chance at it, but; I'm not holding my breath!
Wayne Joseph

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 9:34 pm     10 string steel, no pedals

Hi; I have seen some 10 string Rickenbackers on legs, no pedals. They are late 50's early 60's, and I think some were called the Jerry Byrd model. A dorbo player here in town has one and I have seen a couple on e-bay, maybe I can get a picture up.
Wayne Joseph

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 9:34 pm     10 string steel, no pedals

Hi; I have seen some 10 string Rickenbackers on legs, no pedals. They are late 50's early 60's, and I think some were called the Jerry Byrd model. A dorbo player here in town has one and I have seen a couple on e-bay, maybe I can get a picture up.
Wayne Joseph

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 9:35 pm     10 string steel, no pedals

Wayne Joseph

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 9:37 pm    

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 10:40 pm    

Hi! Have you seen any 10-string Rickenbackers on legs and no pedals? _ _ _ Sorry, just taking advantage of your misfortune! Please disregard!