| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice: High Volume or Low Volume?
Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 11:31 am    

It seems that I can practice songs, licks, ect. at low volumes in my music room, with practice tracks on a boom box or computer speakers, but then when I go to use what I've learned at stage levels, I run into tight hands, volume swells, and the dreaded, pickin' the strings too hard.(That one really seems to screw with my tone) I am practicing through an amp, just not very loud in my music room.
So, I'm curious, any of you guys or gals that play live, practice with backing tracks through a sound system or larger stereo to simulate stage volumes?
Do any of the rest of you experience some kind of difficulty going from lower volume to playing live at loud stage volumes?
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Pete Woronowski

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 11:44 am    

Hey Mike, I hear you and it is very important to play at stage level's before hitting one.
Jamming with other guys is probably the best if possible.

Being still fairly new at steel I have leaned that volume pedal control is something to really work on.
Picking technique and attack should remain more constant in my opinion for feel no matter the volume.

It will come for sure with practise, my first higher volume experiances on the steel sounded like a very bad train wreck.
Actually at best it was a very bad train wreck....:}

Lake City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 11:53 am    

Amen. I was just thinking about this last night while playing in a VFW with a small stage with a railing separating it from the dance floor. I end up getting set up in the corner in front of the railing, so that the guitar players amp is ear level with the back of my head. Songs that I have played with this band many times before and that the band has down to the nines, come off sounding jumbled with missed notes and bad tone from pushing my amp just so that I can somewhat hear myself over the the rest. Add to this the decrective stone walls for additional accoustic value. Laughing

Last edited by Brad Issendorf on 30 Nov 2008 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 12:00 pm    

I should say I've been playin' for quite some time. I just find it more difficult to play at loud volumes as opposed to practice volumes. Almost seems like two different techniques. I was just curious if anyone else experiences this, and how they prepare for it. I'm thinking about moving my music room and setting up a bigger stereo or sound system.
FX to Taste

Last edited by Mike Poholsky on 30 Nov 2008 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 12:00 pm    

OOPs Sorry couldn't hear ya! LOL
FX to Taste
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 1:04 pm    

When I play at home, I usually like to play steel parts at almost high volume and onstage, since I do vocals too, I mainly use high volume for steel solos.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 1:09 pm    

When the wife is home I practice pretty quiet, but oh boy when she is gone to the store, it's pretty loud. Smile

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 1:18 pm    

I use an Ibaneze rock and play gadget,you can plug a CD player and your steel,use headphones and play at a volume that simulate stage volume,as soft or loud as you want it,and not disturb anyone while you are playing.works for me.and on the bandstand I WILL NOT sit next to the guitar players amp.I always INSIST on being on the opposite side of the stage with the guitar,some of these old hairy legged guitar player will blow you away,then you turn up in self defence,then every ones too DAMN loud,at that point you are not making music,JUST NOISE,DYKBC.

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 3:36 pm    

Mike,
I tend to practice at a “small stage level” when possible. This way I’m not surprised when it’s gig time.
Rehearsing and gigging are not always, but certainly can be quite different from each other.
Here are the first 3 things I think of as having the potential of being quite different.
1. Volume
2. What I’m actually playing
3. The unexpected happening
1. Volume is what this topic is talking about – practicing at a low volume compared to a true gig stage volume can certainly create issues that need to be addressed. If a person doesn’t have the luxury of practicing loud enough, they’ll just have to try not to be intimidated by the loud volume of the live gig and some of the different sounds coming from their amp they might not have been aware of.
#2 When practicing I’m not always practicing what I’ll actually play on the gig.
If I’m playing along to a song that has very sparse steel being played throughout it, not always, but sometimes I might play busier than I normally would at a gig. Obviously, it’s important to know the difference and play accordingly.
#3 So many things can happen at a gig, equipment breaks, song arrangements change on the fly, the need to change the key of a song, etc, etc, etc.
I don’t know if it’s possible to be prepared for any and all contingencies, but I think many of us have been through a lot of them and are still here to play another gig.
Marc
Brad Issendorf

Lake City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 3:51 pm    

I should probably clarify that the band that I was talking about runs everything through the mixer. It wasn't that the total sound was too loud; Lord knows that the crowd there would be the first to let you know that the band was too loud, but that the position that I was located made it dificult to play it the way that I practiced it. All the time that was invested in learning the neat little extra stuff that "seasons" the sound just so was out the window because of the combination of pushing the amp too hard and not being able to plainly hear like I am used to made both nights this weekend difficult. Next week will be better.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 9:20 pm    

It helps to practice at least sometimes at close to stage volume, either by turning up to that level or playing through headphones (not quite the same). Lots of bands rent a rehearsal space where they can play loud. There are spaces here that rent by the hour. Other bands form a sort of club and go in together to rent a loft where they can store equipment and sign up for rehearsal times.

A lot of people who play in quiet bands think anyone can play loud. But I find it much easier to play in a quiet situation. You can hear everything really well, and there is a lot of room for error in volume control. In a very loud band everything is already close to the pain level. If you go even slightly over that with your volume pedal it is not good. But if you drop slightly too low your sound is completely lost. There is a very narrow volume range that is just right, and you have to have a certain amount of experience with that to get it right. Practicing quietly at home doesn't give you that experience.
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 10:28 pm    

Headphones. I vary the volume. I try to control my volume with my playing technique. Most of what I'm listening for is a replication of the studio, and sometimes for a live sound balance.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 5:06 am    

Practice, it's not just about what you are actually playing. At some point in the process you (we) should practice with our stage rigs at volume.

The only time this can be eliminated from the equation is if you are regularly on the bandstand.

A couple of Guitar players nightmares:

Bringing an amp to a gig they have never used

Buying an effects pedal on the way to a gig and expecting to use it successfully

Not being familiar with a stage rig , how it reacts to stage conditions and/or volume levels
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 7:36 am    

In either case, you're part of a "group", so it's important that you learn to play accordingly. Your volume level should blend (nearly match) with the level of the other players, or your backing tracks. If you learn to do this, it makes no difference if you're at home, at the club, or in a stadium. Learn to play at all volumes, and learn to get "your tone" at all volumes. That's all part of being a musician! Very Happy
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 8:19 am    

Although I totally agree with Donny's statement above, keep in mind that when you practice with tracks you are not stretching to hear every Instrument. When you are on the bandstand you may have to "stretch" your ears to hear other Instruments across the stage, thus, listening to THEM while maintaining your own level. So, in my opinion playing live requires a different awareness to volume rather than playing to tracks, but both are important.

tp
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 9:25 am    

Unfortunately, having had perfectly practiced parts fall apart in a stage situation, I think a lot of it has to do with the whole ambience, not just the volume. Certainly, having to listen to the rest of the band in a less than ideal acoustic environment is part of it, but I think, at least for me, the tight hands are part of a "Holy Poop, I'm on stage" adrenal response.
High volume practice won't help with that part.

KP
Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 9:33 am    

Thanks for the feedback guys. Some really good thoughts. At different points of my playing career I've had more exposure to the bandstand/stage on a regular basis. The band I'm in now is more a "Weekend Warrior" deal. We all have day jobs. But, I think I'm actually practicing and trying to learn more on my own than ever before. I just don't have enough opportunity to use it "live". There are dynamics and issues playing live and loud that need to be practiced. The headphones don't let me hear the dynamics of my rig. Thats why I'm thinking maybe at least use practice tracks at a louder volume so I can hear what I'm doing loud. Either that or find time to join another band that plays more. You know, this having to earn money thing really gets in the way!!
FX to Taste
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 11:02 am    

Stage volume,,,, Hmmmm! Always seemed to me that stage volume was determined by the drummer. My band played various clubs as a 5 night a week house band. We had a great PA and good monitors. But the drummer forced us to play pretty loud. We finally informed the drummer that we were gonna wall him in with plexiglass. Rather than face that, he put together an electronic kit. It was wonderful! I could use my 56 Pro and my Vibroverb for steel. Best tone I ever had, and at livingroom levels. Well,,, a bit more than livingroom levels, but not that much.
I don't like earphones. I don't think they're good for the long-range health of your ears.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 11:37 am    

John Billings wrote:
Stage volume,,,, Hmmmm! Always seemed to me that stage volume was determined by the drummer.

So true. Mad
Bob Graff

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 12:59 pm     volume levels

I play with a band In omaha and I guess no one has ever played with a steel guitar!!!! It seems like It's a volume contest to be heard although being played on top of I decided It's not worth It. The steel parts are supposed to be heard as well as the lead guitar so after a night of being discusted and with a headache I Quit. And they are mad oh well bob
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 2:10 pm     Practice volume

Having played pro for over 50 years I learned early on that you can't practice singing quiet and then go to work and try to belt it out. Two different sets of chops. The same goes with your instrument...I have allways had a band room with the same set-up as my stage, and play the same volume as you have to at work. If you play quiet you will choke up and fumble at the job unless you're in the corner at a supper club. Larry
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 12:42 pm     The Neighbors and the Dogs

I play to protect my hearing, not wake up the neighbors, to not kick the sleeping dogs. The fist is most important as brought home in a post on the forum about ringing ears.