Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Farewell Party .. By.. David Hartley
David Hartley

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 1:48 pm    

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DnWgm-9dN6w

David
David Hartley

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 2:50 pm     Estimated time for completion is.....?

It should be ready in 2 weeks....

David

Last edited by David Hartley on 21 Nov 2008 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 3:17 pm    

david..i wish i knew you personally. perhaps then i could discard the feeling projected by you that you are in need of ego stroking. i think you are good enough that you don't need to do that. you perform a useful service of inspiration to the forum members striving to improve. i can't say i'm in your league, as i'm getting older, losing drive and forgetting much of what i knew over the years. it doesn't bother me cause i'm not competing. i've had my moments. but i never hear buddy emmons or tommy white, jay dee or lloyd asking if anyone thinks they are any good, and if so, how good.
talented people who are humble are the ones that really impress me. albert lee just shucks off compliments. buddy emmons has reportedly gotten sick from nerves before big steel guitar show performances. let me know when you obtain that level of greatness...oh no, you won't have to, we will know. not meaning to be cruelly harsh as you are 'technically' a fine player. hopefully we can meet some day and i can assume the position of 'fool' over a beer! (you're buying)
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 3:36 pm    

Chris, I think you should delete your post as I think you've already had to many beers and made a fool of yourself. I've met David and you'll never meet a nicer or kinder man than him! He's just trying to make a product and he wants to make it so that everyone can learn his way of doing it! Thats why he's asking questions!
David, great job and like I've said before, I'm first in line when you get it done! Don't let this post discourage you from finishing the DVD's. Ray
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 3:36 pm     Dvd

David, another great one, looking forward in purchasing one when you have them ready. Good touch.
Bill
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 3:46 pm    

I agree with Ray. IMO, Dave is a pro looking to improve; I should be so good. Dave I hope that you don't change anything my friend.
Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 3:55 pm     Dvd

Chris, you've got David all wrong, I'm with Ray on this one as I've had the pleasure of meeting David in Dallas last March and I must say he is not what you are thinking about him, he is just trying to help a lot of guys out that likes his style of playing and making that possible by making the DVD's and Cd's for all us to enjoy and learn some different style and approach of playing.
You would change your attitude if you could meet him and talk with David, but that's your opinion and you can raely change one's opinion.
Bill
David Hartley

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 4:40 pm     Chris?

What the hell is 'ego stroking' when it's at home?

I dont really understand your post. All I do is love playing my steel guitar these days and all your comments on the forum. I love my Wednesday and Thursday evenings too when my friends come over for a few hours to play and learn steel guitar.. I spent a couple of hours in the studio JUST preparing that small youtube clip. That's without the preparation, recording, and learning myself those 'beautiful' Lloyd Green licks...I have hours of work to do getting tabbing done, recording DVD's and CD's with tabs, printing, posting and answering almost EVERY email I get these days.. I sell a few CD's and DVD's and it pays for ink, printers, electric, cameras, gadjets, etc etc...
This steel thing is keeping me focused and sane these days with everything thats going on in my life at the moment. I know from emails I get that this is what many of you player, steel owners, and learners want!

I hope others will like my 'ego stroke'

David
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 4:53 pm    

Chris is my running buddy here in Sacramento. We play most every Monday night at a local dive, and aside from the fact that he looks like Santa Claus if Santa was living in the park, he's okay.

It seems like you are posting here to drum up business for a learn-to-play-the-pedal-steel course, which I assume isn't for free. Your playing is okay in a very basic way -- I'm sure the tabs and video includied would be great for a beginning player. The video work is very nice.

I wouldn't take Herr Ivey too seriously. He has a dark sense of humor even on the best days and the endles trips to the hospitals, biopsies, oncologists and etc. have made him more ornery than usual.

I will say this, and with the most respect: I think this belongs in the buy and sell. You made it clear in the youtube video that the song was part of a course. Good luck in your endevours! Smile

Tq
David Hartley

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 5:05 pm     Hi Tom

I know he's OK. I didn't know he looked like Santa though!

YES.. drumming up business, and playing basic too. This posting saves answering 30-40 emails a day about tuition material which may be lacking these days. I only has the Winnie Winston book and Tom Brumleys LP when I started. There was NO internet, .. I suppose I am taking advantage of advertising here too but as I say, there is a demand for what I do..

Night Night everyone.

Back in the studio tomorrow!

DH
Derrick Frank

Berkshire, England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 5:16 pm     Farewell Party .. By.. David Hartley

Chris, please don't read Dave wrong, he's one of the best, if not the best steel players we have in England. And being English we have a way of asking folk what they would like to see and hear, thou that goes for all sorts of subjects.If he were to perform an item on the steel, than ask, do you like that,I thought it was good, and I'll do something else tomorrow, then he may be looking for a pat on the back, but this is not the case.
Dave needs imput from you guy's and gal's on what he is about to do, so you will get the best product possable.How many times have we bought an album or cd, just to find we only like part of it.
I wish he had been around when I started playing, it could have made a big differenc in the way I play now, but when I got my first steel, all I had was a tuning sheet, and that was it. I spent hours litening to steel guitarist'e, trying to figure out how they did this and that, and here comes a guy who is willing to offer his hard one knowledge up on a plate to anyone ready to listen, and I know as you do, it takes skill and time, a lot of time, to write Tab, and record Video, and power to his elbow, he's not looking for a pat on the back, just a little info from the folk, as to what they would like to hear and see on the DVD.
The more you tell him what you want, the better the product, so lets give him all the info he want's, and much praise for the work he's putting into it.
It's just the British way Chris, no trumpets, just a great, thank you, and if you do meet him, I know you will take kindly to him at first sighting, Slim.
Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 5:25 pm     Ego Stroke

Hey David, a.k.a. "Mr. Ego"! Wink
You may have an idea for either a new song or a name for one of your CD's! Laughing May we have some more "Ego Stroking" please sir! ha Like Ray Q. and so many of us here on the Forum, I'm in on what you're doing for the Steel Guitar community and standing by to get your newest endeavor/offering of some very fine/top shelf Pedal Steel Playing! Thanks for your efforts and contributions...Carl
P.S. I hope the Big Tuning wrench I sent you is keeping that "Hartley" in tune--sure sounds like it! Smile
Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 7:39 pm    

Hey David, keep up the good work! In my opinion your playing is much better than "okay in a very basic way." I don't know how deep you can go musically, but from what I've heard, your tone, execution, and taste put you in the "great" class.

I would have loved to have had this kind of information available when I was starting out. Heck I learned a few things just now watching it!

I think the two camera angles are a big plus.

Again, good job!

P.S. Ballads show more maturity in my opinion. You can't flub your way through a bunch of meaningless notes. A ballad shows just how good your technique is.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 7:55 pm    

David, If that is ego stroking and basic playing well, you just keep doing what you're doing. The few that spout off this nonsense are the ego strokers and just have a rather twisted outlook. Why? I do not know. They just need to spout off I guess. Thousands of fans and millions of views in youtube are not wrong. You, like Mickey Adams, are some of our most valuable assets here on the forum and I hope that you will not get discouraged form a couple of naysayers. They should give themselves a reality check.

But I see that you handled the negativism with the usual Hartley class. Just wanted to let you know I am on your side my friend.
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 8:18 pm    

In my opinion " EGO " is also someone who would not share is talent and knowledge and that's not Dave's case, i really love listening and watching his videos and i think it takes a brave and honest man to take the time to ask others for opinions on his work.

it's called a true gentleman "David Hartley".

can't wait to get your video Dave.

Pat C.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2008 8:46 pm    

David, all I have to say is your playing knocks me out. I love hearing the stuff you've got on the net and your buddy John ain't too shabby on the 6 string either. You make me smile.
John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 1:21 am    

WOW! David wish I could get compliments from someone of Randy Beavers calibre then I know I would have arrived!
When you gonna show me how to play "Coal miners daughter" properly???
looks like its gonna rain here today Sad
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 2:47 am    

I see what you mean about the camera angles, looks good.

Chris's post made me laugh, while I was in Nashville I picked up a t-shirt that said, "Strum a Guitar- Stroke the Guitarist". Maybe I should put it on Sunday night in honour of you, LOL.

My ego packed it bags and left home after watching PF with the Time Jumpers...

Keep up the good work.

Mark
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 3:48 am    

Personally I really enjoy listening to and watching David and really admire his tenacity in getting his projects completed with professional quality. I never considered David anything less than a pro who is always using whatever tools( internet) available to reach the masses.

Regarding Chris, I didn't actually take it literally, I think if we were sitting having a Beer we would understand what he is saying which is, David is already a PRO.

One thing about the forum which I have noticed as of late is that our Topics Sections no longer have much relevance. Maybe thats what Chris is actually saying behind the kilobytes. Tabs, Video's, MP3's , instructions , whatever , are now mish-moshed into each section. But I understand why, did we ever notice that there are some posts in some sections with like 10,000 hits by a few folks who are just bumping the initial thread from maybe a year ago ? It doesn't give much room for new programs or announcement on the active page for those who are attempting to bring something fresh to the table. I dare suggest that many of us do not scroll down....

But that being said, the video by David is excellent.

tp

Oh and speaking of Farewell Party, lately I have moved to Guitar on our gigs and we brought in Brett Crisp on Steel, yes Terry's cousin or whatever, Brett is like 20, well, when we play Farewell Party, if you close your eyes,it's Terry on Steel. Brett did some time in Nville and lived with Terry and obviously they were not watching I Love Lucy reruns in there spare time. I now hate Brett. Very Happy
Robert Cates

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 4:57 am     Amazed

This Steel guitar forum amazes me. I have been listening to all you guys for about 2 years now. It seems to me as tho some people are hell bent on spoiling a good thing.
I believe that some of the info on here is priceless,offered by people that really know their stuff, while some of it is offered by people that don't have much experience. One has to take it all in and then decide for yourself, as to what is good and what is not so good. I have to admit, I am greedy, I take a lot of info from this forum and I don't offer much because I am learning and feel as tho I can't offer good advice yet,perhaps someday I can and will. Praise goes to the real knowlegeable people on here and I say THANK YOU.
We can all agree that David knows what he is doing and we can learn a lot from him. So please don't drive another quality player off the forum.
I don't believe that he is going to get rich selling anything to forum members but if he makes a few bucks..good for him. He is selling( some for free) his knowlege of the steel guitar to us. What better place to talk about it than on the steel guitar forum.
I think that we have lost some great players from posting on here. The bottom line is ..these great players don't HAVE to offer their advice on the forum and than take crap for it.Its easier for them to just not bother.
It gives me a bad feeling when someone as good as David is giving crap because I think that maybe he won't participate in this forum anymore. What a shame that would be.
Just little ole me
Bob
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 5:23 am    

I don't believe thats what Chris was saying or that was his intent.

Forums are open to all of comments and or suggestions, best to have that in mind and just keep chugging along.

Sometimes we say things that come across different than the intent.

the Earth will not stop spinning.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 6:36 am    

If ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE is better than Dave on the E-9th then I want to see and hear them, and the sooner the better. Dave, IMO we are so blessed that you share your renditions of these songs, and frankly my friend I hope that you make millions doing it. I know that it's a lot of work just tabbing alone, I've tried it. When I took your DVD to a local "Best Buy" store, to see if it would play on a Blu Ray player, people atopped and watched and listened and they all had most favorable comments and some were surprised that you and John were from England. If they didn't like it they would have moved on; and I don't think that country music is played that much in this county. IMO, please focus on fans like me that are hungry for your "endeavors" and ignore others. Thank you Randy Beavers, IMO another of the best of the best.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 6:41 am    

Please forgive my misspelling of "stopped" in the above post. Another casualty of my aging process.
Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 6:50 am     ego

David
Please keep up the good work. I really enjoy your playing and trying to learn some of your licks. I appreciate you taking the time to do this on youtube and also on the DVDs. What you are doing is very tasteful and also there is a lot to learn from your playing. If people like what you are doing enough for you to make a little money: "Thats the Music business", isn't it?
PLEASE CONTINUE YOUR WORK
Billy
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 7:31 am    

For myself when I see a David Hartley You Tube video I can't wait to open it up.As always there is some great playing.The mere fact David has posted a lot of great music has spread the word that universally the Steel Guitar has many great players, that otherwise we would not get to hear. One more great feather in b0b's cap showing the worth of the Steel Guitar Forum. David please use my e-mail to inform me how that I may obtain your DVD...I won't need the tabliture though unless it comes with a Steel... Laughing