| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A New Problem--trifocals
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2008 12:19 pm    

Today is the first day I have had trifocals. Oh what a time trying to play--half of the strings are in focus and half aren't. Do many of you have the same problem or do you eventually get used to it? Every time I move my head, the focus changes Crying or Very sad Joe
James Martin (U.K.)

Watford, Herts, United Kingdom * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2008 12:48 pm    

What you need Joe are varifocals - no lines and no refocusing.I've had mine for ten years never had a problem from day one! Mind you, by the time you add on anti - glare and anti- scratch you end up paying a small fortune for a couple of bits of plastic and some wire. I replaced my PC for the same cost of my glasses, don't make sense to me!
Ed Iarusso

East Haddam, CT US of A
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2008 2:23 pm    

Joe, I had trifocals for years. Mine also were the type where the three focal lens were blended together and you could not see the demarcation between the three. (I have noticed that with others glasses). I never had a problem with the distance as related to my guitar but reading could be a bit of a hassel. I had to have cataract surgery this past spring and now only use my glasses for driving at night. I would ask my eye doctor about it. How are they to read with? Good luck.
Ed
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2008 5:27 pm    

If your tri-focals have lines in them, good luck. I went to the no line variables, and after 2 weeks it is like not wearing glasses. The ones with lines are from Ben Franklin's day.

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2008 5:51 pm    

I just tried a pair of progressive no line trifocals...I HATED THEM!! Looked like a bad LSD trip! Sent them back.

Playing instruments, you do not need a trifocal! When you look down at your guitar you will be looking through your strongest prescription and things will be out of focus and you will have a headache in no time.

Go to your eye doctor and get a prescription for distance to drive and see across the room and then measure the distance to a music stand or to your guitar and get that prescription also and tell him to give the the pupil distance (PD number) of your eyes. That is the distance your eyes are apart. Then go to Zennioptical.com

http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

and order you a pair of bifocals for about $34. Some sweat shop in China will make them and they show up at your door in about 10 days. You will now have a pair of glasses cheap that you can play the steel guitar with and it will be in focus, and when you look up you can see the pretty girls across the room at the bar.......

Last edited by Bill Hatcher on 19 Nov 2008 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2008 5:52 pm    

I have progressive trifocals. It took months just to learn to walk with them, much less operate machinery. Driving a car, in LA traffic, was always good for an adrenalin rush...
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2008 10:18 pm    

Hey Joe. I currently have bifocals. I have had trifocals, could not get used to them. Having to move your head up and down like it was notches was terrible.
I tried the progressives, but it's point and shoot your nose at whatever you want to look at. And mostly out of focus every else.

They say it takes getting used to these others but I could not. I just have to go with the mid ranges being a little out.

By the way, I'd guess you recognize that wall paper behind me.
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2008 11:19 pm     They'll put your eyes out, kid!!!

With the single exception of the Satan's-spawn billing and archiving software that the accounting executives forced down the throat (make of that metaphor what you will) of this Big Three TV Network's videotape library, progressive lenses are Mankind's most indefensibly evil perpetration.

And in saying so, I'm not excluding napalm, bridal magazines, the Spanish Inquisition and American Idol.

I paid big unreimbursed bucks for a set of lenses and after two game tries (same thing happened 15 years earlier with progressive bifocals), the evil plastic wafers of funhouse disorientation have languished in a case for nearly a year unused. A waste of a sharp set of frames.

Last edited by Ben Elder on 20 Nov 2008 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2008 10:13 am    

Quote:
The ones with lines are from Ben Franklin's day.

My trifocals have the lines because, after trying the 'progressive' ones, I requested them. Without the lines, it was difficult to discern what zone you were in . One man's trash, etc.
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2008 11:03 am    

Joe -

I have a pair of "lineless" trifocals which have sat in a dresser drawer for 4 years. Hate 'em! I took what I thought to be a practical way out and bought a pair of reading glasses which serve 90% of my needs. Still need a pair of long-distance prescriptions for night driving.

The reading glasses are fixed "prescriptions" and can be found at almost any drug, food or department store as you most certainly know. KISS. Remember that acronym?
Jon Moen

Canada
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2008 12:19 pm    

I have progressive lenses. It took 2 weeks to get used to them and now wouldn't have anything else.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2008 2:56 pm    

You you everyone for your input. I called my eye glass people,I'm going back to bifocals. Now when it comes to my playing there is no help, Joe
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2008 4:09 pm    

I've had progressives for the last 10 years, and each pair has been better. I had to have the distance to mid change dropped 1 MM and all was well. Wouldn't have anything else.

My distance vision needs just a small correction. From age 55 to 56 my distance vision was 20/20, but that didn't last.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2008 6:47 pm    

I tried playing while wearing trifocals and I just couldn't get the hang of it.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2008 7:48 pm    

I wear tri-focals too. I can read tab, play, etc with them, however I do something else that works better for me. Go to the drug store, Wal-Mart, etc, and buy some reading glasses. Tip - get a small tape measure and measure the distance from your eyes to the fretboard and music stand. Get an average. Then, go to the store where they sell reading glasses. They usually have a little reading chart on the stand. Either use the tape measure or some other frame of reference and stand that certain distance from the reading chart. Try on reading glasses until you find one that works so you can clearly see things at the distance you measured from your eyes to the fretboard. It works fine for me. I don't need much correction over 10-15 feet, so the single vision glasses for playing works just fine.

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2008 7:49 am    

THe first day I tried bifocals I was warned not to look at my feet. I was playing at Club that is down a flight of stairs from the street. Of course I reflexively looked down at the top step, tripped, and fell the whole flight landing on my butt in the Bar!

Let me tell you, it is really embarrassing to fall out of a bar much less INTO one! Especially cause I don't drink!

I just wear no glasses or my reading glasses. Can't see beyond the lights, anyway. ( Makes all the girls look beautiful. )