| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My old new ZB
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 12:50 pm    

I just got some photos of the work done by Bob Adams from Scotland, He bought my old D10 ZB and has now converted it to a single neck with arm rest. Nice job Bob....

Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 2:24 pm    

Man, that looks really nice, but I think I like the sound of my C6 neck more than the E9 neck of my ZB...
Kevin Greenberg

Lakewood, CA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 3:36 pm     Zb

What a tragedy. If he wants to sell those extra parts, I'll buy them.
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 4:09 pm    

Tragic.
you can rest your arm on the C6th strings as well as you can on a pad. Which you're not supposed to do anyway.

another vintage piece lost to butchery.

Sad
Bob Adams

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 9:36 am    

This is no ‘tragedy’ more of a ‘transplant’ when you see the S10 that will develop out of the C6th parts! If I want C6th I’ll use my ELGIII
This guitar now feels and plays so good with that amazing sound that it is centre stage for me!
My first one was ’74 and to this day I regret its parting (don’t even go there!)
I bought John’s a year ago with this project in mind I have spent many loving hours on it often well into the night, I am very pleased with the outcome! Can’t say as I’ve heard painstaking, passionate restoration referred to as butchery before but whatever makes you happy I guess! This one sure makes me happy and it isn’t going to be sitting in the case!
BTW that screw is back in I took it out for sample replacements and I forget to put it in before I took that pic! Fear not it is firmly in place again!
As for things to lean on I never had them on S10's so it has never been an issue really and if somebody can thrill me with good steel playing I don’t care if they lean on a lamp post!

Thank you John
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 10:50 am    

BoB, I think you did a great job on the ZB, But I think you show the work under the guitar as well.
As to the tone, that was and still is a great sounding guitar...Love to hear it as well.... John
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 10:57 am    

Nice work Bob !!!
and welcome to the happy friendly little forum. Rolling Eyes you guys should lighten up.

Ken Metcalf
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 4:46 pm    

As usual Mike V. speaks the truth. It's not a case of lightening up, it's a case of preservation of beautiful and functional tools.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 11:53 pm    

Errrr....... I'll get me coat

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2008 1:25 am    

Great job John , I've been thinking of doing the same to my D10 . Trajic ? I doubt it , you end up with 2 beautiful ZB's instead of one . And Richard Ive seen your mods and if I was smart enough to get mine playing as smooth as you claim I would not hesitate to do the same .
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Greece
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2008 7:47 am    

It saddened me a bit to read the responses decrying
the superb workmanship that has gone into the
changing of Bob"s ZB D-10 into an SD-10, I've been
a ZB'er since the '70's and unfortunately for us
living on this side of the pond SD or S-10 or any ZB's for that matter are
like the Holy Grail, virtually non-existant on the open market which does'nt leave much choice in the
matter. I'd like to bring to attention the superb
conversions by my friend, Billy Knowles, he also
is a devote craftsman, look on Larry Chung's thread
to see some photo's of his work.
I have a '69 ZB D-10 which I am also going to convert
but will have the option of changing back should I so
desire, I suppose this will also upset a few steelies but at my age the lighter I can make it the
better for me.
All the best
Frank. Corfu
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2008 10:05 am    

So rare and hard to come by that you're gonna hack another one?

I guess I shouldn't call it Butchery, as it looks as if a nice job was done, more like a gentle molestation.

I dont understand why if you play a D-10 (you said you have a D-10 LeGrande III) then why would you not keep the C6th?

I would never buy a guitar w/ only E9th.

You guys with these old guitars are charged with keeping them for future players, not tearing them apart for no reason...that's what 12 year olds do when their grandpa gived then a '59 strat.
Bob Adams

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2008 4:15 pm    

Since nothing has been done to this guitar that would prohibit returning it to its original set up, your choice of terminology is somewhat inaccurate!

I don’t play as much C6th as I do E9th and the point was to utilize the ironmongery from the C6th to rebuild an S10 though why I am justifying any of this I don’t know since it was my £1000 that paid for it! If I was an antique collector I may put it in a glass case and simply look at it, but I actually want to use and enjoy it in whatever way suits me.

As for taking care of instruments; there age and quality, there are a couple of 60’s items on this pic that may interest! My humble music room earlier today, does anything there look un-cared for? And yes the D10 ELGIII does exist as you can see! (just in case there was any doubt) oh! Forgot to bring the 72’ tele and little 75’Gibson out for that pic also immac!

Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 4:38 am    

I loved this phrase: Very Happy

Quote:
"if somebody can thrill me with good steel playing I don’t care if they lean on a lamp post!"

Too Cool... Smile
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 8:23 am    

Quote:
This guitar now feels and plays so good with that amazing sound

I seriously doubt that it feels,sounds or plays any better than it did as a D-10...

but like you said, it was your money...

Db

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 8:38 am    

You know as well as I that those two halves of the guitar will never be reunited. So I dont buy that justification. You're right, it's your money, you can do whatever you want to that guitar. I just think it's a shame, one less whole ZB, now it's a half a one.

This probably makes Bob angry, I'll stop now.
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 8:40 am    

Wait, are you saying you already have a S-10? And that you pilfered the parts from this D-10 to re-build that S-10?

OMG, the Horror!
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 9:15 am    

I think it's awesome and looks awesome and you are making these tools work for YOU....
These are not people; they are freaking music tools...
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 9:24 am    

A little taste of the under carraige..

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 9:24 am    

Ricky, you're totally right, and I agree, but I have a hard time believing that if you saw someone take a Sho-Bud, in Very Good Condition, and take it apart, refin it and put LDG stickers, you'd get a case of heartburn.
C'mon, you know you would. Wink

Besides, ZBs are very rare compared to Sho-Buds
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 9:56 am    

I would like to shed a little light on the ZB that Bob has converted... this is from one of my posting a year or so ago.....

"I bought this guitar back in 1980 and sold it the same year, as I live in spain but still come to the uk I was looking for a second steel, I found the guy who bought it from me and asked if he still had it , yes it's still in the loft he said , I never got around to opening the case . I asked if wanted to sell it , yes he said it might need new strings. LOL. so I bought it. When I got it home and opened the case I was amazed at the condition of the guitar , colour was great no fade and everything was just as I sold it ,The body has no damage , the strings on the front neck had broken but the back neck still had it,s strings and to my amazement still in tune I was able to play a tune on it, must say something about the ZB guitar. I have given a quick clean and changed the strings , the pedal action is quite good but as I play a sho bud this felt a little stiffer. "

I belive if I had not rescued the guitar it would have been lost for ever, so we are one ZB better off...
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 11:04 am    

It's not like it was on the titanic before it sank, It would have been found sooner or later in time-capsule Condition.

Not, it's been taken apart and scattered.

SCATTERED!!! I tell you!!
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 12:49 pm    

Mike, belive me it would not be found and by the time it was it would have rotted away, The man who had it has no one else in this world and lives in a very remote area plus it was up in a uninsulated loft for 27 years, sooner or later the case would have decayed and then the ZB would be beyond saving. It better off now don't you think?
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 1:21 pm    

John
You and Bob don't have to justify anything that has done on the ZB. Lloyd did exactly the same thing on his early twin neck ShoBud. What a shame that some people always find a negative in these situations.

Ken
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2008 1:50 pm    

Ricky......well said. TOTALLY agree with you 100%

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

www.micky-byrne.co.uk