| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Revelation users
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 11:34 am    

How many Revelation users really use the the stereo capability? This is asked because I am trying to decide between a Rev and the Tonic. I have talked to Brad via Email about the differences, now I am asking the members of this GREAT Steel Guitar Forum for their valued opinions. I know one or the other is in my future. Thanks for you time.

Fayettevillle, Ar. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 12:36 pm     Tonic VS Rev.

Larry, I have both and I wouldn't pay the difference between the Tonic and Rev. again. I really cant tell any difference after tweaking each to my ear.

Ben Jack
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 1:04 pm    

Larry,

The only time I use the stereo function is if I am looking to broaden the width of the steel with reverb or effects. If I use just a little reverb, it is not necessary and I totally agree with Ben that the sonic differences do not exist between the two units.

Regards,

Infinity D-10 Justice SD-10 Judge Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AXE III, Fender FRFR 12
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 2:03 pm    

I guess I would answer your question by asking how often do you run a stereo setup now? A lot? As often as you can? Then the Rev is the ticket. If a stereo setup is not that important to you then its little brother is your best choice.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 2:32 pm    

The live/mobile rack. I go directly into the Rev which "feeds" the Eventide with the stereo/2-channel output, which it prefers. I'm not familiar with the Tonic, but given the choice, I would always get the "box" with the most versatility.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 8:07 pm    

I have both. I use the Tonic installed in a Furlong split cab w/1501-4 speaker. I use the Rev with several different setups including mono and stereo setups.

Chas, I am impressed with your rack setup. WOW.. Very Happy
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 6:32 pm    

I would say if you play without much reverb or effects, then the Tonic will be fine, even with a dual mono set up. If you play a more of an effects oriented sound and like the spread of a stereo reverb or delay, true stereo is the way to go. I have a Tonic and a Rev. I really do enjoy both and I usually play with two speakers.
TC
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 11:46 am    

Thanks guys for you responses. I do like two amps, NV112'2, but I hook them up mono. It's just fun using two amps. Most bandstnds don't have room to seperate the amps for maximum effect. And after just a few feet away most people can't tell anyway. The Tonic is looking better all the time. More responses are welcome.

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 12:04 pm    

Keep in mind that it's quite easy to simply take the mono output of the Tonic, go into the mono input on an effects unit, and then take the stereo outs from the effects unit to two amps giving the true, stereo effect. The only difference there is that you don't take advantage of the Tonic's "parallel" fx loop that keeps your dry guitar signal purely tube/analog the whole way to the amp. Some people prefer the signal purity, and others don't seems to hear a lot of difference.

Brad
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 2:32 pm    

Quote:
and others don't seems to hear a lot of difference.
40 years in front of a JBL will do that....
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2009 3:14 pm     The Difference

I always kinda thought when you are use to listening to two speakers with your home stereo and then unhook one side you really notice the difference. It sorta seems that way with the steel. I realize its not the exact same thing. Also you go to a big Concert outdoors and park a mile away you can hear them multiple speakers a mile away. If they only had 4 speakers per side you would only hear them when you get closer.
Gary.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2009 7:58 pm    

I use the stereo function all the time.

Sometimes, I like to sit in the sweet spot between both speakers........Other times, I'll use one side as a monitor (speaker pointed back at me) and the other speaker cab pointing out toward the audience, (an idea I borrowed from fellow forumite and killer steel player, Doug Jones).

Since the power amp has volume levels for each side, I can adjust the monitor volume to provide the sound level I like to hear and set the other speaker volume for what the sound guy wants to hear.
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2009 4:36 am    

Brad would be better to explain this than I but, if you use a processor as the MPX1, you can program it to output different effects out each line. One signal in, two different colored ones out. Given a Mono system, it would all have to be merged back into a single output. The Revelation will (right Brad) allow you to maintain two different signals. I have both the Tonic and Revelation and use them on different systems and they are the only way to go.. my opinion. Both are great units!