| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  $ 1K Late '50s Fender Champ!
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 12:21 pm    

The collectors are bidding this guitar big time:

Link to auction on eBay.

What a nice set this is. Barely a scratch on it, case with keys, the works. A true closet classic!

I have absolutely nothing to do with this auction, just thought some of you might find it interesting.

RH
Rickey Mitchell

Fresno the center of California
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 1:29 pm    

The same model is for sale at the Guitar Center here in Fresno Ca for $500.
I don't like the sound of that single coil pick up.
Do the duals sound any fuller?
This is my first post.

I was influenced by Freddie Roulette many years ago when I first came to Fresno over 30 years ago.
A friend told me he had something I had to hear.
It was Roulettes first album. Needless to say,I was blown away.
I got a Rickenbacker sometime after that, a metal body one. I didn't like that one either. The body was temperamental to the change in climate.
These days I'm playing a 6 string National New Yorker and a Gibson BR-9 The Lap steel version of a Les Paul Jr, In my humble opinion of course.
I've been enjoying this forum for about a year now. I look forward to being a member.
Rickey
paddleandflies.com
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 1:59 pm    

Welcome, Rickey!

That's an exceptionally clean lap steel, but I don't think it's worth that kind of money. Then again, I'm not bidding on it, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 2:17 pm    

Aloha Ricky!!!

Welcome to TSGF!!!!

Those tuner buttons on ebay look like black plastic to me Confused That is not right is it? Not sure?
Rickey Mitchell

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 2:59 pm    

Boy that baby does look new, the one on ebay.
Those tuners look plastic too me.
The one here in Fresno the keys are all metal.
Thank you Brad and Aloha Jim.
Brad, You've done a wonderful job and a great service to all steel players with your website. Thank you for an excellent resource.

paddleandflies.com
Rickey Noel Mitchell
Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 3:25 pm    

Welcome to the board Rickey!

The early '50s Champs had white/cream colored tuner buttons. Later in the '50s and through the '60s they switched to black. I have an early '50s Studio Deluxe (champ w/legs) with cream and a late '50s Champ with black buttons. The brown tolex case would be correct for a late '50s or early 60's guitar.

I haven't seen one with metal buttons. I'm wondering if that GC guitar in Fresno is an early Deluxe/Pro (Boxcar or trapizoid PU) guitar. If that is the case it should be well worth $500 if it is an original example.

Although a bit bright and twangy for my tastes also, all of the above guitars are well thought of in general. My Studio Deluxe has a Lollar PU in it and is a bit more full sounding than the stock Champ.

IMO, the amp settings, reverb and the tone control on the guitar can make these sound very "Hawaiian" but still a bit thin. Just plain Fenderish I guess. I really like my New Yorker too!

RH
Rickey Mitchell

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 3:38 pm    

Rich Hlaves wrote:
Welcome to the board Rickey!

The early '50s Champs had white/cream colored tuner buttons. Later in the '50s and through the '60s they switched to black. I have an early '50s Studio Deluxe (champ w/legs) with cream and a late '50s Champ with black buttons. The brown tolex case would be correct for a late '50s or early 60's guitar.

I haven't seen one with metal buttons. I'm wondering if that GC guitar in Fresno is an early Deluxe/Pro (Boxcar or trapizoid PU) guitar. If that is the case it should be well worth $500 if it is an original example.

Although a bit bright and twangy for my tastes also, all of the above guitars are well thought of in general. My Studio Deluxe has a Lollar PU in it and is a bit more full sounding than the stock Champ.

IMO, the amp settings, reverb and the tone control on the guitar can make these sound very "Hawaiian" but still a bit thin. Just plain Fenderish I guess. I really like my New Yorker too!

RH

Thank you Rich. The steel I speak of has the same pick up set up the triple neck has on page 247 in Andy Volk's book( Excellent book by the way, Mr Volk). I've seen them go for just what the other ones going for, several times now.
Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 5:58 pm    

That would make it a Professional 6 or 8 I believe. I pulled out my copy of Andy's bible and took a look. Some may also call it a Deluxe. I think the Deluxe name started with the Stringmaster features however.

There is one on display in the Museum of Making Music (see MOMM thread) in Carlsbad, CA. I gave it an eyeball last Sunday.

If it is intact, in good shape and has all the original eletronics and knobs it is a good value @ $500.

Ending bid price on the Champ.....$991.24...Oh Baby!

RH