| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Player - Where Do I Go Now?
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 5:55 am    

I've been steadily practicing for 11 months now for hours every day. Though I'm still learning the right hand and determining what works best for me, things are starting to gel(as far as basic movements are concerned).

My fear now is that I'm now going to learn a bunch of bad habits and riffs without learning the instrument. More importantly, I have now been approached by some players to come and jam (obviously not too demanding) - will this help or hinder at this stage?

What traps should I look out for (in regards to bad habits etc)?
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 6:08 am    

Welcome Chris,
If your invited to play with other musicians, I say do it!
You'll learn alot by doing so.

There is Alot of good instructional cd's out by many players. Smile
Bob Graff

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 8:17 am     Learning Steel

By all means play with other people you will be amazed what you can learn. Sitting In the house playing alone sure Isn't the same as playing with a group. You can pickup alot! Bob
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 9:06 am    

Do you have an instructor? A few hours with a good one is worth months of plodding along by yourself.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 9:25 am    

Chris,ANYTIME YOU GET A CHANCE TO PLAY WITH OTHER PICKERS,DO IT,DO IT,DO IT,YOU WILL LEARN MORE IN ONE WEEKEND PLAYING LIVE,THAN SIX MONTHS SITTING IN YOUR LIVING ROOM.DYKBC.

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 6:20 am     Thank you all!

Yes,fortunately I have been taking lessons from an instructor since day one, which has proven to be invaluable. I took you're advice and played with the group and oh my goodness what a difference it makes in playing and thinking.

I have some songs to learn now that are challenging (darn you're good Tom Brumley) and are opening new doors.

Thanks again,
Chris
Dale Bessant

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 6:52 am    

Chris,

A couple of tendancies or bad habits, that newer steel players have, are over use of the volume pedal, and or, too much reverb or effects and bar tremelo ,in order to control bar position and compensate for bad tuning....concentrate on tuning and proper bar placement on the fret markers and playing in tune with the rest of the band...its always great to "jam" with other players,and be able to learn...not enough can be said about the importance of playing in tune with the band...and remember,I dont think that PF or any speed player today started with how fast and accurate they are now,have fun,try playing with your right foot off the volume pedal and hear the difference,listen to your bar hand and see if your using to much bar movement at times... Very Happy