| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson Blackjack price increase?
Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 7:20 am    

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum and new to PSG and I feel like I've found HOME!!! The forum is fantasic. I love it!

I've ordered a Carter Starter w/ the accesory pkg. from the Guitar Center for $815 (tax/shipping included) which is a good price Question. It will be here Monday 11/3. But after reading comments in the forum, I'm having second thoughts. Mickey Adams (Mick, you're the best!!) has recommended a Jackson Blackjack. I love the Jackson but it appears to me that the price has doubled in the last 18 months or so. Is this right? If so, anybody know why?

I just don't want to grow out of the Carter in six months. I'd like a guitar that I can keep for a few years/forever.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Pete Conklin on 2 Nov 2008 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 7:25 am    

Pete, you know if you get serious, you will out grow a student model, get a pro model single neck, then you will be set forever.

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 10:07 am    

If you want to see if you are going to like playing PSG, buy a used Starter for $500.

If you know you will like playing PSG, there are some very reasonable S10s for sale on the forum all the time.

If you want a new PSG for the peace of mind, go ahead.

Double your pleasure, double your fun, double+ your expenditure. You will enjoy a pro guitar long after you've forgotten the cost.

All this advise from a a six month veteran.

The Blackjack price went up when they made the decision to go from a 3x2 to a 3x4 as standard. You will want a 3x4 PSG. Consider a Stage One if you want to go the student route. It is a much better guitar than the Starter.
C. Christofferson

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 10:09 am    

Keep in mind the idea of outgrowing a guitar is just that, an idea. Hope you like what you get.

Last edited by C. Christofferson on 4 Nov 2008 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Ron !

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 10:40 am    

I disagree here a little bit.Everyone knows that with 3x4 you have all chords you want.
A steel guitar with more knee's and pedals is very nice but I would learn how to block, chord progressions, bar technique, pedal technique first before making a major step towards a full PRO steel guitar.

I have several students and I tell them all the same thing,

learn where you chords are and learn all the techniques mentioned above and go from there.

You don't need 4 pedals and 6 levers to get you started.3x4 is enough for the time being.

Stick with the Carter Starter and learn to play first and then upgrade to a better guitar.
The Carter Starters have a very good sound.Bobbe Seymour proved that in a Carter Starter demonstration on you-tube.

Click here for the demo

Have fun picking and don't go into debt over a steel guitar....best advice I can give you.

Ron
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 3:25 pm     Blackjack owner

Pete, I sent you an e-mail with something for you to consider. I own a Blackjack.
Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 3:42 pm    

Thanks to everyone for your input. Good Stuff.

Brick - that's kinda what I thought it might be re: the price increase.

Ron - thanks for the link...it was that demo that persuaded me to get the Carter in the first place.

I'm still undecided, but tomorrow I will have the Carter and who knows maybe I'll keep it for a while.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 4:43 pm    

not only will you outgrow a student model, you will outgrow a single ten if really serious...in my opinion!
Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 4:57 pm    

I'm sure you're right, Chris.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 6:56 pm     True

Chris, its true the BlackJack has increased in price over the last year. Features have been added as well.(Now the BlackJack Custom) The changer on the earlier models was rather limited for one. Players were finding that with a little more capability, the guitar is suited for professionals and beginners alike. Mine is made of the finest maple, and the thing just sounds great. Its light enough to carry in the back of our plane without the boss raising the roof over all my other toys...Guns, golf clubs, computers...LOL..Ive had it with me for the last 5 days on the road. I love my Mullens of course, but this one reallly fits my travel needs right now...I personally agree...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 7:43 pm    

Mickey -

I sent you an email..
Tom Buur

Denmark
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 11:50 am    

I went through all those considerations during Spring this year. Carter Starter, Stage One, Black Jack? Maybe even a pro Carter? I had never even tried a PSG. So finally I went to see the only local guy who plays PSG. He had a Zumsteel, and as it turned out he knew of a Zumsteel SD10 that was for sale. About a week later it was in my house.

I have never tried any other PSG but these two Zumsteels, his and mine. But I don't regret my purchase. I just skipped the student model stage. On the other hand it seems perfectly reasonable to start with a student model for a year or so. The guy I bought the Zumsteel from never really got to use it and probably wasted a lot of money on a dream that never came true.

Edit: BTW Mickey Adams, as a beginner I love your YouTube videos.
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 3:36 pm    

Welcome to the forum Pete!

Most important... Have Fun with your new guitar!

Last edited by Danny Bates on 3 Nov 2008 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 7:17 pm    

I've decided to get the Jackson BlackJack. I'm hearing nothing but great things about it. Thanks to all for you input and opinions!

b0b, we can close this one up.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 7:42 pm     Blackjack

Pete, I think you made a very wise decision. You have a guitar you can play as long as you choose,
and it has a lot better resale value(than a carter starter) in case you
move to a D10 someday.

Terry
Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 10:01 pm    

Terry, thanks for the reassurance. Resale was definately a factor. I haven't stopped grinnin' since I made the decision. Very Happy