| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bradenton, FL -- Hank Williams: Lost Highway 10/30-11/16
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 9:24 am    

The Manatee Players Theatre in Bradenton, FL will be featuring a production of 'Hank Williams: Lost Highway'. Opening night is Oct. 30 and it will run through Nov. 16. Performances are nightly at 7:30 on Tue-Thu, 8:00 on Fri-Sat, and matinee only on Sun at 2PM. NO SHOWS ON MONDAYS.

REAL COUNTRY MUSIC -- upright bass / gtr - mandolin / acoustic gtr / fiddle & steel. (NO DRUMS)

I will be playing steel guitar and haulin' out as many of those Don Helms licks as I can remember -- y'all come! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 3:41 pm    

Looks like a great gig Larry.
Best of luck.
Come join us again sometime when you get a chance at our FSGC jam.
Don
Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 5:46 pm    

Larry,

Since you are one of Roy's favorite steel guitarists, I am sure he won't let us miss this one. Can you tell us how to get tickets and the cost? We are looking forward to this.

Your friend & fan,
Laurie
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 5:18 am    

Hi Larry,

Do you (or anyone) happen to know who played steel on the original recording of "Lost Highway" by Hank Williams Sr?

I used to think it was Jerry Byrd. But I no longer believe that.

Good luck on your show.

c.

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 6:27 am    

Hi Don!
Thanks so much for the good wishes. Hope to get up that way before too long.

Laurie
It will be my pleasure to have you complementary tickets at the box office. I'm honored. I will EMail you the particulars.

Carl
I'd lay my 25cents on Don Davis
You're right -- it certainly ain't Mr. Jerry -- wrong tone and it doesn't sound like Mr. Shag, and I'm pretty sure Don Davis did some recording with them about that time. So that's my guess and I'm sticking to it until proved wrong. Laughing
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 7:04 am    

Thanks Larry,

And yes Don Davis is one of the possibilities.

c.

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 7:21 am    

Anyone who's never seen this show should get out and attend the show! It played in Norfolk, Va. earlier this year with Russ Wever in the steel slot. Russ did a magnificent job with his old Gibson steel and I'm sure Larry's gonna knock 'em dead.........JH in Va.

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 3:40 pm    

Larry is probably right, as Don Davis was filling in with various Nashville artists and doing a little studio work about that time. If I could hear the original record, I could probably recognize Don's playing, if it was him. He later got into the business end of music. He is still alive and kicking as far as I know. I talked to him by phone 2 or 3 years ago, and he didn't want anything more to do with playing music. He owns and operates some beach cabins somewhere around Mobile Bay.

Roy

P.S. Thanks for the comp tickets, Larry. See you at the show.
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2008 4:07 am    

Larry:

We are so excited to see the play but most of all to hear you play! If any of you live near Bradenton you need to treat yourself and go hear Larry play and enjoy the show! We will let you know the date sometime in the next couple of days. See you soon! Laurie
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2008 7:00 pm    

You guys are so nice! It will be great to see you.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2008 9:28 am    

Larry is a super player and anything he does will surely at to this show.
It's worth the money just to hear him play.
Don
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 5:51 am    

Thanks for the kind words Don.

Anyone in the Tampa/Sarasota/Bradenton area is welcome to come by and check us out.

Manatee Players Theatre website:
http://www.manateeplayers.com
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 7:27 am    

Larry - who else is in the band for the show? I'll be doing 'Patsy' again in February at Florida Studio Theater. Unfortunately, the steel is more 'flavoring' behind a heavy handed piano player and v e r y low volume. Have a great show - I'll try to get down to see it.

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 5:40 pm    

We went on-line and bought tickets tonight. We are looking forward to it. I think we will be at the very last show of the series in Nov.

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 6:39 am    

Don - thanks buddy

Skip - I'll send you an EMail soon

Ken -- looking forward to seeing you at the show.
Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 2:29 am    

I just wanted to remind you that Larry Bell will be playing In Hank Williams, Lost Highway, starting this coming Friday! All that are in this area or are going to be in this area remember to go & see the play. I know it's going to be great! See you soon Larry. Laurie
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 5:58 am    

Larry,
Good luck on your show! Wish we could see & hear that one. We just finished "Stand by your Man" here in Albert Lea. These "Plays" are alot of fun and wow do they draw the crowds! This caught my eye because, the next week after finishing our show, the director "pitched" this one to us. I am not sure if they can find a "Hank" up here?? We'll see? Take care, and have fun!!!
Neil
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 5:02 am    

Neil -- thanks for the kind wishes. It is a great show.

Ms Laurie -- you know how much I'm looking forward to a nice visit with you and Mr. Roy.

We open tonight.
Go to http://www.manateeplayers.com for more info
Tue-Thu shows start at 7:30PM
Fri-Sat shows start at 8:00PM
Sunday matinee at 2PM

The play runs tonight through Nov. 16.

Y'all come!
Neil Lang

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 7:24 am    

Larry,
Check your PM.
Thanks, Neil
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2008 4:38 pm    

Larry - how was opening night?

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 7:05 am    

Hey Skip
Opening night was good. Reviewer was not too enthusiastic, but that's no surprise.

One interesting steel note: With little to no nonpedal steel experience, I had decided to play the show with only A+B pedals (A6 tuning), but I found that I was too tempted to use pedal slurs so I took the pedals off of my Sho-Bud. It's not easy to get the slants as accurately as a nonpedal but I'll play the rest of the show with no pedals and my usual tuning. I'm using the E to D# lever to get the sixth tuning sound (B6), but that's all. Next time I'll do it on a nonpedal guitar with Don Helms' E6 (sometimes called E13) tuning. That will require some woodshedding to pull it off.

All in all, it's fun. Very simple music and you grow to appreciate the elegant simplicity of Don's playing. It was EXACTLY what the music needed and no more. Learning to play it is a wonderful music lesson.

May I also point out (as Jerry mentioned above) that Russ Wever played the original production and, brother, HE NAILED IT (as usual). I just try to get as close as he got to the original parts.
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 7:49 am    

Hi Larry - glad it went well! I think you've got it right - the best thing to do, if anything, is to underplay. I've always figured I was brought in as flavoring and a little 'cryin' once in a while and they were happy - in fact, when rehearsing for "Patsy", last spring, our 'jazz piano from New York musical director guy' worked the rhythm section about to death and basically told me to play whatever I thought sounded good.

Regarding your A-B pedal story, when I did "Patsy" the very first time it was the front half of an old Pro II that I had borrowed and I didn't really have a chance to do anything but tune it, sooooo....while warming up before the show on opening night, something slipped and I couldn't get one of the pedals to return all the way, so (without panicking, you understand), I had enough sense to just tune to A6th with about 30 seconds to spare and with absolutely NO straight steel experience proceeded to limp through the show and everybody told me great it sounded! Little did they know.

By the way - I have a new guitar on the way. The Carter was nice but didn't feel 'right' to me and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not really a C6th player other than 3 or 4 songs, so I decided to send it on it's way. I found a blond, round front 6139 in Colorado Springs with a COMPLETE John Coop rebuild - it's 3x4 with a complete polish package (looks like a Rolex!)He replaced the 4th and 5th string changer fingers to get all the normal Emmons changes and I plan on adding a vertical to it. He even replaced all the Grovers with new ones. Mike Doucette told me that one of the engineers in Nashville told him he had the best sounding steel in town and mine is the same setup, so I have great expectations. It'll be here Wednesday or Thursday.

I'll be running it through either my SF Twin or Polytone Mega Brain head into 2 150 watt celestion 1218 Legend speakers with an RV-3 in the effects loop. I know the Twin will sound good and I'm anxious to hear the other combination.

Enjoy the show - hopefully I can get down to see it.

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 7:58 am    

I wonder if thats the nice old round front I sold John a couple years ago. He sent some pictures during the rebuild. I think he said it was headed for Colorado, but I'm not sure? I also sold him a couple of cross-overs at that time. Skip, send me a picture, it might be the same one I sold him?
Thanks, Neil
langnlang@charter.net
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 1:03 pm     Lost Highway

Hey Larry - Do all pedal steel players get comp tickets? Sure would like to catch your show - I guess it's about 2 hours from Okee? Good Luck, Dave
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 3:58 pm    

This is a bit late, Larry, but my best wishes for a successful run.

I played at the theatre a few years back on 'Always, Patsy Cline' and thoroughly enjoyed Jon Miller's excellent bass-playing. He plays for the Tampa Symphony and also plays golf, so it was a happy run.....

...apart, that is, from a rather unsympathetic lady on violin who kept defending her poor intonation by declaring that '...it's only country music...'; it takes all sorts, I suppose!

Anyway: I'll get up there if I can - I'm sure you're doing a great job nailing Russ' - oops, I meant Don's - steel parts.

Break a leg!