| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Live steel in Austin/S.Antonio Oct 31-Nov 4???
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 12:28 pm    

I'm in Texas this week and part of next, anyone playing great gigs worth coming out for? I think Dale Watson at the Continental Club is my Monday night entertainment, with Herb Steiner as tour guide.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 2:52 pm    

Hey John, I still have that nice blue Godin, if you want to pick it up and take it back to CA. with you. I finally got the chips repaired. Smile

I'll be playing my old '74 MSA Classic at Christian Life Church in south Austin on Sunday morning, two services, 8:45, and 11:00.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 4:50 pm    

I actually have this week end off. I won't know how to handle it.
Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 4:51 pm     Steel In Austin

Darvin,
you cant miss Ole Buzz Evans
at the contintal club on sunday night at 10:30pm
he and Red Volkart do a little show there every sunday its well worth the trip.. also Tom Brumley is Puttin together a new show here in san Antonio
and they will be rehersing mon--thur i will ask if you can set in on some of the rehersal if you want..
Thanks
Boo Miller

Roger i have moved down to your neck of the woods
give me a call lets get together
919-464-3278 booandlisa@msn.com
Boo Miller

Last edited by Al Miller on 28 Oct 2008 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 4:53 pm    

Come to Bandera 30 minutes outside San Antonio, Rick Price w/ Jake Hooker 10/31 friday nite @ 11th street cowboy bar and then 3-7pm on Sat 11/1 @ Arkey's Silver Dollar Saloon .. as good as it gets for that hard hittin' texas sound

http://www.jakehookermusic.com/
Pat Goodbla

Longview, Washington
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 6:46 pm    

When in Austin, ya can't miss Buzz. I'll be there this Sunday for sure. Then on Wednesday, it's off to Wagoner, OK for the WSMSS shindig. Cool

Pre-RP Mullen D-10 10/10
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 8:00 pm    

Al Miller, if you can wrangle entry to a Brumley rehearsal, that'd be fab, thanks! He's one of my idols.

I appreciate all the tips, gents, keep 'em coming.
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 8:32 pm    

See if you can find Justin Trevino-he'll always have a good steel player.
Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 9:21 pm     San Antonio

John, Tom Is Back In Branson Until Sun Sometime But I will Ask If It IS Ok To Bring You Down, He might call sooner than sun if he does i will ask then. in the meantime lookup San Antonio Rose live on the net that is the show tom is putting together this should be a good un..
Boo Miller
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2008 1:29 pm    

We'll be at Ginny's little Longhorn in Austin on Burnet Rd....this SAT. night Nov. 1st.
Classic country with just Steel and fiddle as the lead instruments.
http://www.myspace.com/missleslieherjukejointers

See ya there.
ricky
Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2008 3:39 pm     Ricky

Ricky I Might Come Out This Weekend and see ya
Boo Miller
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 4:41 pm    

Hey Boo it would be good to see ya man.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 6:56 pm    

Hey y'all!

(Texas is already changing me, ha!)

I'm having a great time in the Hill Country. So far did some property viewing in Georgetown, then some time in Boerne and Bandera.

My wife and I attended a big cowboy dance in Bandera last night, kicking off deer hunting season. The headliner band was Zona Jones. Had a real fine steeler on a Rittenberry D-10, but I couldn't stay long enough to chat him, anyone know his name?

There was an after hours band all set up, too, anyone know who that steeler was? Probably a D-10 Emmons p/p, through a Stereo Steel and dual Pacific cabinets.

The biggest learning for me was: Texas dance floors are a demolition derby! Man, a guy and gal can get plowed under out there! Nothing like California dance floors, where 2-steppers take the outside loop, and swingers have the middle of the floor all to themselves. In TX, everyone does what the hell they want to do, when they want to do it, regardless of how crowded it is or who they bump. Yikes!!!

Oh, and NO line dancing, that was actually very cool!

Next biggest learning: the band has to play a really long-ass set (almost 3 hours)! I'm used to 45 on/15 off in CA, didn't know how easy we have it.
Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 7:42 pm    

John, a band a I play with, and we get paid very little, has taken the 45 on, 15 off to 40 on, 20 off.

When the pay goes up, so does our time on the band stand.

I can't believe that 30 years ago I was turning down jobs that paid more than most of the clubs pay these days.

SS

Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2008 11:57 am     Texas trip

John ,
Do You Still wanna catch a rehersal
with tom call me if you do
Boo Miller
919-464-3278

Ricky sorry i missed you this weekend
i got busy with honey dues and completly forgot i was gonna come up .. let me know when your back in town i wanna come visit..
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2008 9:05 pm     Tras Country

John I will Play at Tras country Thursday Night , With Patrick Glenn , Come Out and You can Play my PP Emmons 8:00 till 12:00 Thanks Randy Gilliam.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2008 2:24 pm    

Al and Randy,

I'm back in LA now, sorry I couldn't rendezvous. Al, thanks for trying to get me into Brumley's rehearsal, that would've been way cool!

I really liked Austin and the Hill Country. I'll be back for another visit soon, so hopefully I can catch more live music then. This trip was mostly seeing areas and houses, and very busy. Next time I want to be there on Sunday to catch you, Ricky Davis, and Wednesday to hear a regular gig of Herb's.

I did catch Dale Watson on Monday night, he was great as always. But even there the band took no breaks in the 2 hours I was there, egad. I was there with Herb Steiner, they made him sit in, against his better judgement and standard policy of never doing that. He played fine, but you know how it is playing someone else's steel, it just ain't home or comfy and it's generally tough to sound your best.