| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fender amp
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 5:27 pm    

this amp belongs to a friend of mine that is not a forum member. we need help in determining what model it is and also the year. he bought the amp with a 1953 telecaster in 1953. any help would be appreciated.....thanks jack

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 6:01 pm    

All of us are wanting to know where the Tele is!
Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 7:00 pm     tele

my friend still has the tele, he lets me play it once in a while.....thanks jack
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 7:14 pm    

It looks like a Fender Champ, narrow panel, 1955-64. I'm pretty sure it is not a 1953. There should be a serial number on the metal faceplate on top. I bought and sold three of those in the past few years. Wish I had kept one!
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 8:06 pm    

It would help if you could get a clear picture of the tube chart - that one is pretty blurry. It does indeed look like it says "Champ Amp", and there should be a date code and model code on there. Either get a good picture, or post all the information on that tube chart.

I see what looks like a dual-miniature 12AX7 preamp tube - if so, that would rule out a '53 model 5C1, which has a 6SJ7 preamp tube. Model code 5D1 would be from '54, 5E1 from '55, and 5F1 from '56 to early 60s - by '64, they went to black tolex on that same box.

You might also want to look at the date codes on the transformers and speaker. If they're original, they might also shed a little more light on the date.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 5:04 am    

It's an anomaly - it has a 6SJ7 preamp placing it around '55 but a tube chart showing a 9-pin preamp tube; most of the octal-tube models had a back-facing control panel. Really need to see the FRONT of the amp and the tube chart clearly with the numbers/letters stamped on it.

Transition models like this aren't uncommon but some collectors hunt specifically for them.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 5:42 am    

Looks like a rusted tube shield on a 12AX7 to me.
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 10:37 am    

Jack, Here is some Fender Amp Data taken from the Fender Amp Book that I have. It seems like you could have a 1953 or 1954 Fender Champ Wide Panel depending on the tube compliment and Cabinet Style, or a 1954-1964 depending on tube type and Cabinet Style.
You should be able to identify what you have from this.
Hope this will be some help to you.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 12:41 pm     fender amp

roger: i beleive your photos of the amp front pretty well nails it. is is like the style C cabinet with the fender logo on the top center. as i said before the tele is a 1953 and i beleive the amp was bought at the same time. a friend of the man that owns the amp and tele sold the amp and guitar to him 2/years later for 150.00. they both worked in the same band together for years...i really appreciate all the info from everyone. just for the record does anyone have any idea what one of these would be worth to a collector?....thanks jack
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 2:34 pm    

Jack, I used to pick with a guitar player who also had a 1952 Telecaster he bought new for, I believe, $299.00 with a hard shell case and all. He had the neck reworked a time or two by Fender. He had been offered $25,000.00 for it but never would sell it. He died a few years ago. I hope his wife either still has it or got a good price out of it. I'm sure she knew what it was worth.
As far as what your amp would be worth, I'm not sure.
I would take my time and find out from some reliable sources. Some of the guys on here can give you a pretty good guestimate I'd say.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 10:25 pm    

OK, so style C is the wide-panel tweed cabinet, which is generally on the 5D1 and is usually attributed to 1954. But that may have been more like an automobile model-year 1954 and so there may have been some later in 1953. BTW - that does look like a rusted 12AX7 tube shield, as Ken says.

On values - everything depends on originality and condition. That one "looks" original from what I can see, but far from excellent. Latest VG Price Guide lists wide-panel tweed Champ in the $1000-1250 type of range in excellent condition. I think in that kind of shape, there's a pretty significant deduction, especially if those capacitors are as original as they look and you need to do a lot of electronic work to get it up to snuff. It's pretty hard to throw numbers on these deductions, since there are a lot of details I don't know about the amp.

BTW - I think tweed Champs had 8" speakers from 1956-1963, not the 6" indicated in the plate above. I know all the 56-63's I've ever had my hands on had 8" speakers. In general, the 5D1 is less desirable to most players than the 56-63 narrow-panel version with the 8" - my opinion, of course.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2008 1:22 am    

It may sound crazy but I think it's actually better to buy an amp like this that hasn't had any work done on it. So many times you see work done (caps etc. ) incorrectly by hacks that don't know what they're doing. A cap/rehab job on a Champ doesn't usually involve a lot of materials cost, so in this case I don't think it's much of an issue when estimating value.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2008 5:02 am    

Duh, I had sleep in my eyes yesterday! That IS either a rusty shield or some other type of cover over a 12AX7..NOT an octal preamp tube.

Starting in '56-64' (the '64 is the same later-model amp with black tolex covering - I have one) have 8" speakers as Dave said.

Still can't tell a thing about value without seeing a front view. As far as dating, without serial number, tube chart data or codes from the pot, speaker and transformer (because just one code cannot be used to verfiably date any amp) I can't be certain, but just based on what I see and using the Fender Amp Field Guide as reference it would appear to be a '55 5E1 narrow-panel.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional