| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is the difference in the price worth it ?
Curtis G. Greene

Eure, North Carolina
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2008 9:27 pm    

Is the difference in the price of a Emmons LaGrande11 or LaGrande 111 worth it?
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2008 10:56 pm    

I'm going to approach this question from a purely philosophical point-of-view, but there may be something helpful in this anyway.

As players we are almost obsessed by tone and massively concerned with playability, and for a great meany of us those two are ranked in the order I have stated them. Sure, we are cost-conscious, but we prize tone above all and playability just half a "calibrated gnat's-whisker" behind it.

The only way you can determine whether one style, model (or even one brand) of steel-guitar is worth the price difference when compared to another is to play both, then use your hands, feet, knees, eyes and above all your ears to make that decision.

Whatever sounds best for you and has the right feel (there are inevitably compromises made in this process, and you may sacrifice a little "feel" for the "right" tone), then that is the instrument which suits you best - end of story.

I look at it this way. You only pay the purchase-price once. If the sound and feel satisfy, stimulate and inspire you then you spent well and have made a wise investment.

If you are dis-satisfied with what you bought, then the price is not the issue. What is at issue is your own judgement; you have to make your assessment - taking whatever guidance the good folks on the forums here can give - and make your decision accordingly.

Please excuse a necessarily abstract approach, because I feel what you are really asking is for factual, hard opinions on the structural and operational differences between two models of an iconic brand of steel-guitar, from owners/players. The problem is I have never played either model and in all probability I never will, so I have had to take a different approach in formulating this reply.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2008 5:44 am     hi

The news I have heard is the ll is the best one, the extra work in the lll some say is not needed, then some say it is, like said before what fits you may not please some one else. Try on the shoe and if it fits wear it.

ernie
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2008 3:14 pm    

I'd work the situation this way:
If you're not having tuning problems with what you're playing right now, you probably don't need it. However, if you're one of the people who constantly has tuning problems, it may be beneficial to have it.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2008 4:06 pm    

Hideaway , Tx USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2008 5:23 pm     Is the price worth the difference ?

Just an opinion...but: I have owned both, an LG III with 8X5, and an LG II with 8X6. To my ear the LG II sounded better ( both thru a rack system / or a 72 Fender Twin.

Sold them both , and went back to a Rosewood Push/Pull that I will keep until I leave this earth. It is not about price, but about how pleasing it is to your ear.

D
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2008 8:58 pm    

or play a 27 yr old zum..no compensators and i rarely tune anymore cause i'm really lazy. sounds fine to me!
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 6:25 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
or play a 27 yr old zum..no compensators and i rarely tune anymore cause i'm really lazy. sounds fine to me!

I agreee chris, keep mine simple too, tuning is much more bulletproof!

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 8:19 pm    

I have a 04' Legrande 3 and I "personally" believe it is worth the extra money. It is VERY relaxing knowing that when you go to a show and set up, your guitar will almost be perfectly in tune the way you left it the night before. But thats just my opinion. But, an Emmons is an Emmons. No matter what kind of Emmons you get you will deffently be satisfied. To me, there ALL perfect. Very Happy