| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  acoustic-wood versus metal
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2008 10:30 am    

Nothing sounds like my bell brass bodied tricone-when the weather is right. But I'm finding that acoustic guitars have many of the same characteristics of electrics. The tone, volume and intonation of a metal guitar are all affected by temperature and humidity.
Nothing sounds sweeter than a Weissenborne. But you can't get the volume out of it in an acoustic jam. And it's very tempermental when you try to amplify it. But it seems totally unaffected by weather conditions.
Is there any way to win? I'm tired of everyone saying, "Shhhhhh....the steel man is going to play."

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2008 10:38 am    

It is my understanding in the past they went with metal because it the least affected by temperature and humidity. My tricone hardly ever needs re-tuned but it also has a metal neck!
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2008 12:08 pm    

It seems like the logical approach to a louder weiss-style sound would be either a nut raiser on something like a D-28, or a large-body dobro. The D-28 would sound more like a Weissenborne, but the dobro would be louder.

I've never played a metal-bodied guitar, but I know that stage lights can really knock my dobro out of tune. Of course that's a mixture of metal and wood.

Metals like brass have a higher thermal coefficient of expansion than woods when measuring parallel to the grain. Perpendicular to the grain, woods generally have a higher coefficient than metals.
AJ Azure

Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2008 3:16 pm    

or a deeper and larger bodied Weiss. I think they're made too thin. A Gibson J200 style body would make it MUCH louder.