| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FYI, the Rondo SX is back in stock
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 6:28 am    

I was just on the site and noticed that the distributor has the SX lapsteels in stock again if anyone is interested.

http://www.rondomusic.com/LG1na.html
Richard Atkinson

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 12:19 pm    

has anyone played one? is it a decent guitar? would it suit a total beginner like myself?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 12:21 pm    

The ol' search button will bring up all/most of the threads on these and you'll get the whole show.

I'd like one.
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 1:30 pm    

Richard,

I thought after seeing a post of a warped neck SX that this was probably a guitar to avoid but.........I bought one anyway, to give to a friend actually, and it is a great little steel for the money. When you factor in the hard case it can't be beat for the price.

It is much better than the $79 Musicians Friend and ebay quitars I've seen. With a couple of mods it can be quite excellent. There are also threads here on the SGF of changes members have made to improve tone and playability. It's not a bad place to start.

Best,

Rich
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 1:35 pm    

Quote:
has anyone played one?

Yes, I own one myself. Here's my review from June 2007.

Quote:
is it a decent guitar?

It's very decent for the price. Some people have upgraded the electronics and bridge, but it's completely usable as is. I replaced the bridge component with a Gotoh-style wraparound bridge that works better for me. I haven't yet upgraded the pickup.

Quote:
would it suit a total beginner like myself?

I wouldn't trade in my National Dynamic, but it's very suitable for a beginner. Unlike the Artisan, Rogue and other really low end lap steels, this is a piece of solid wood with good overall workmanship and a really good case.

I have been keeping mine at work for those free times when I can play. I think it's a fine playing instrument.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 3:18 pm    

Here's my review of the 6 string beast:

Rondo review

Here's some tabs and tuning ideas I've developed for it:

6 string tuning and tabs

The neck on mine is extremely warped but that does not affect the playability which is excellent. This thing is a blast to play even just sitting in front of the TV. You can use it to develop your right and left hand skills anywhere you're at.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2008 5:11 am    

I checked again today.... out of stock already even though the price went up a whopping $15.

I have a Rondo that has been my main player since I upgraded it a couple months ago. As long as you're not lookiing for bling these Rondo's can be transformed to rival models that cost many times more with regard to tone and playability.
Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2008 3:54 pm    

Mark Mansueto wrote:
I checked again today.... out of stock already even though the price went up a whopping $15.

They were already sold out last Friday afternoon. Rondo says they're expecting new stock around the 1st of November.

I plan to get one, and it's all Greg's fault. Look at his SX LG1/NA page and you'll see why.

Charlie

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2008 11:01 am    

Thanks everyone - I'm a beginning lap steeler as well and have been trying to figure out what instrument to get. That $79 Rogue was intriguing, but seemed too good to be true. I'll try to get one of these SXs. Either that or I'll build one myself... Rolling Eyes