| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question About A Profex II And A Tonic, Brad Or Anyone
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 3:49 pm    

Can a Profex II be used as just effects with a Tonic and power amp or will that be running it thru a second preamp? If you leave the equalizer out of the chain, will that leave the preamp out? Anyone running this way?
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2008 5:32 am     Profex II

The Profex II should work fine with any power amp. The Profex II is a preamp that has built in digital effects.
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2008 6:42 am    

You would probably be better off using a Black Box with the Profex rather than trying to chain the two preamps together.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2008 8:06 am    

I have a Tubefex and a Revelation
and see no issues putting them together.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Last edited by David L. Donald on 17 Oct 2008 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2008 7:03 pm    

The only problem I see with using a ProFex II with a Rev or Tonic is that the Profex seems to only have an instrument level input. That means that it would have to patch into the volume pedal loop where the signal is still guitar level, and placed post volume pedal. I don't know about the TubeFex, but the rear fx loop on the Rev or Tonic is designed for line-level devices. I believe that a ProFex would be overdriven if placed in the rear loop.

Placing the ProFex in the front loop would put it in series. That means that all that pure tube analog signal kind of gets thrown out the window when the ProFex takes that signal and runs it thru transistors and 16bit A/D conversion, digital processing, and then thru a D/A converter. Part of the mentality of the Rev or Tonic is that the signal path is extremely pure and "boutique" from input to output. That's also where the rear loop comes in handy because it's a parallel loop. That lets you keep the guitar signal purely tube and analog, and merely blend the digital reverb/delay along with that signal.

Brad
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 1:24 am    

Brad Sarno wrote:

Part of the mentality of the Rev or Tonic is that the signal path is extremely pure and "boutique" from input to output. That's also where the rear loop comes in handy because it's a parallel loop. That lets you keep the guitar signal purely tube and analog, and merely blend the digital reverb/delay along with that signal.

Brad

Hi Brad.
Yes correct, heck of course YOU'RE correct you designed it..
I used it as a parallel return external effects unit.
It gave me clean sound and other sounds to blend together.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 7:52 am    

fwiw, I have used a Profex II in the effects loop (Parallel) of my Stereo Steel rig, basically as a multi-effects unit.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2008 8:30 am    

This is cool. I honestly didn't know that the ProFex could handle line level input signals. Knowing that fact tells me that the ProFex is more usable with my preamps than I'd previously thought.

I think one issue that still stands out is that for parallel use like with the Rev or Tonic, I don't think the ProFex can run two effects like delay and reverb in parallel, only series. In the Walker Stereo Steel rig, he offers both topologies which is very handy. My preamps simply don't allow for that setup, parallel only. For just one effect like reverb OR delay, it's fine. The problem arises when you want to use both at the same time.

Thanks Pete and David and the rest.

Brad
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 5:20 pm    

Brad, what would be a good effects unit that would work well with the Tonic? I'm really only interested in delay and reverb. I have a DD-3. I'd like to play around with some different kinds of reverb. The one in the Tonic is not bad, just want to try some others.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 7:57 pm    

All things considered, I'd say the TC Electronic M-One is a fine choice. The TC stuff seems to be the easiest to get running in dual-parallel-100%-wet mode to run in the Tonic (or Rev's) parallel FX loop properly.

I still like the simplicity of the M300 or M350, but the M-One has slightly better resolution and lets you go deeper into tweaking the parameters. All 3 of these units are essentially two-engine units, one engine for delay, one engine for reverb. Great for steel guitar.

The Lexicon MPX-1 is very good sounding, but it's proving to be a hassle for many to get the internal routing set up for this dual-parallel-100%-wet topology. But it can be done, and a number of Tonic/Rev users have them in the loop. Others have it after the unit to avoid having to deal with the loop. That's a pretty killer sounding unit, the MPX-1, and especially the reverbs. They're very lush and 3D.

Top choice for me currently would be the TC M-One.

Brad
Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 1:22 pm    

Brad, why do you leave out the TC G-sharp, it looks like almost the same unit as a M-350 but more tuned for guitar players?

Bas
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 5:36 pm    

I use the Rev with a GP-100 in the effects loop and shut the preamp off on the GP-100 and use the effects only. Works very well. You may be able to do the same with the profex?
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 5:45 pm    

Bas Kapitein wrote:
Brad, why do you leave out the TC G-sharp, it looks like almost the same unit as a M-350 but more tuned for guitar players?

Bas

I leave that model out because I don't believe that it offers the "parallel" function as the M300 and M350 do. Also, the modulation effects that it offers may not sound right in a parallel loop situation due to the digital latency. The G-Sharp is a good unit if used in series in a series type loop or with guitar pedals. I'm sure the sounds are as good as the M300/M350, but it's the routing function that's the main issue I see.

Brad
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 6:11 pm    

Brad, I kind of like the looks of the TC M350. I like the knobs on the front, one of the reasons I got the Tonic. Will it work ok mono on the Tonic?
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2008 9:22 am    

Sure,

the M350 works great with the Tonic. Just use the Left in and Left out on the M350, and be sure to push in that button on the back of it to make it run in "parallel". Also, the second knob from the left MUST be all the way cranked at 100% wet. Then you simply use the 3rd knob to control the relative amount of delay vs. reverb. Then on the Tonic itself, you use the FX knob to control how much overall effect you want. Works like a charm.

Brad
Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2008 10:50 am    

Brad, I have to disagree with you on that. I compared the manuals of both the m-350 and the G-sharp and they only differ in about half the effects they describe. In general the M-350 is more aimed at universal use and the G-sharp more at guitar use.
The G-sharp also has a killdry switch (just like the m-350) that would not make sense if the parallel function was not an option.
I agree with you that a parallel way to hook up an effect is the way to go, but you should consider the G-sharp as well
Bas
Al Moss

Kent,OH,USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 1:35 pm    

Well, now I'm a bit confused here.
I've hooked up a TC G-sharp through the effects send and return on my Tonic and am using the effect level control on the Tonic to control the effected signal from the G-sharp. It sounds fine to me. Is this an incorrect, or, less than optimum, way to route the signal path? The input level on the G-sharp is up all the way, but it does not seem to be adding any noise or distortion to the signal. The reverb level is up all the way to fully wet on the G-sharp and I've got a smaller level of delay mixed into the signal that the Tonic is seeing. Is this method of routing the G-sahrp not the best way to integrate it's use by the Tonic? Oh Well