| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So, speaking of resonator capos...
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2008 10:00 am    

I know this is subjective when it comes to tone, but there is some degree of objectivity when it comes to measurable qualities, such as sustain issues (I would think, anyway).

What do you consider to be the best resonator (squareneck) capo? In particular, I'm looking for one for my tricone. I have a Schubb (like this one http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/SDC1.htm), but it won't fit (strings a bit too low to the fret board). Plus, even when I used it on my old dobro, I didn't find it all that easy to use quickly in a live situation. I just find it clunky.

I know the best thing for tone/sustain is just not to use one, but there are some times when I want to play with a tuning using DADF#AD intervals, and have my root chord be the open chord. I just want to be able to do it in another key, and not have to have another instrument on hand.

Would the Scheerhorn be the way to go? Or, is the Beard a better alternative?

Thank you for any advice on the matter.
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2008 11:07 am    

The Bradley and the newer Scheerhorn capos are both very good. Here is the Bradley:

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2008 11:51 am    

I like the new Scheerhorn - it's low profile, so it's out of the way of my left hand. I find I need two hands to put it on, and I use it upside down, as it's easier for me to latch that way. I don't find a huge effect on tone.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2008 2:22 pm    

I use what is more or less a nut for my capo. I have two of different heights for different areas of the neck. They are made of antler. It has a groove for the fret. I don't like anything above the strings.
I do think one looses tone with the floating type....

I do have a much better idea but cannot make it Sad .

<*)))>{
David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2008 6:29 pm    

I have two Beard capos. I like them, but I don't play in a live situation which would require putting the capo in place rather quickly. I suspect it could be a PITA to put on quickly.

-Dave
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2008 6:39 pm    

Ive been using a scheerhorn flux for a few years,,works great once you get the hang of it. pretty quik live when you get it set right. I would imagine the newer larger scheerhorn is better for sustain.

Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2008 10:38 pm    

Dick Deneve makes an awesome brass capo that kicks the Bradley's booty. and cheaper too Smile
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 7:02 am     Sounds interesting

AJ Azure wrote:
Dick Deneve makes an awesome brass capo that kicks the Bradley's booty. and cheaper too Smile

How bulky are they? Do you (or anyone) have a picture of one? Similar to the Scheerhorn?

Thanks.
TJW
AJ Azure

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 9:32 am    

It looks more like the bradley and it has to have a bit of MASS since it's trying to give you the same tone as open strings.
Lynn Oliver

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 9:54 am    

You have to watch out for the Deneve guys; they tend to be a bit enthusiastic. Shocked

As to the old Scheerhorn (Flux) and the new one, I just want to mention that the new one is intended to go on upside down compared to the Flux. Now if I could just remember which is which... I think the new, heavier, one is intended to go on with the rubber under the strings.
AJ Azure

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 10:02 am    

what exactly is a Deneve guy? I am relaying what I have heard of the Deneve capo from uwaers. How exactly was my post over enthusiastic? By the way the flux hasn't gotten the best reviews as far as pure tone. The Bradley has gotten better.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 10:40 am    

Measure your string height. Go to a hardware store and check out the flat L brackets - the kind you would use to secure the corners of a window screen frame. File it down a little if you need to. It works like Jim's carved deer antler. You don't need string grooves. Make two or three of different heights, if your strings aren't level with the neck. Not only does this work better than anything else, at 5% of the cost, it matches the mechanical sophistication of a guitar made out of a hubcap.
Jim Konrad

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 1:32 pm    

Here is a very cool link showing many types of em...

http://web.telia.com/~u86505074/capomuseum/Special/Dobro/resophonic.htm

Like I said I have a great idea for one, better in many ways than the ones in the link above!!

But I will make another post as not to hijack this one to much LOL!! Very Happy
Jim Konrad

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 2:10 pm    

This guy is no dummy either.......just gotta love the simplicity of it!!!

http://dobrocapo.com/

<*))>{
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2008 7:14 pm    

I'm just a dobro tinkerer, so take this for what it's worth. I have a Beard. I don't like it very much. It's too much trouble to install in a hurry for me. Tonewise, I suppose it's ok.

My favorite of the ones I've tried is an old Leno I had a few years back. Brass, with some plastic tubing on the underside. Pretty easy to install, though it does take both hands, and sounds ok to me.

Hinged on the order of the Scheerhorn, but not nearly as expensive. I understand they are being made again after being off the market for some time.
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 3:37 am    

Lynn Oliver wrote:
As to the old Scheerhorn (Flux) and the new one, I just want to mention that the new one is intended to go on upside down compared to the Flux. Now if I could just remember which is which... I think the new, heavier, one is intended to go on with the rubber under the strings.

I have the newer, bigger Sheerhorn and I use it with the brass under the strings. Tryed it both ways and it sounds better that way.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 7:15 am    

I'll put in another plug for the Deneve, and I've tried most of them.
Yay! WooHoo! Whoopie! Razamataz! Get One!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 10:45 am    

nice enthusiasm mark....
i've made several capos similar to the freedom model. mine are out of brass..three sides/heights..grooves for the fret..not for sale. designed them 30 years ago!
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 11:51 am    

I have the Beard, which is pretty awkward, and doesn't sound great. I have the Shubb, which works pretty well as long as the neck is the right size and the string height fits.

My fav is the Leno. Glad to hear they're available again.

KP
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 11:53 am    

There are definite similarities between the the DeNeve and the Bradley, and I have a preference for the Bradley, but the price is right on the DeNeve.

A physicist I'm not, but I don't understand regarding the newer Scheerhorn why it would make any difference in sound having the brass under the strings vs. over the strings.

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 1:32 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
A physicist I'm not, but I don't understand regarding the newer Scheerhorn why it would make any difference in sound having the brass under the strings vs. over the strings.

As I understand it, it has to do with stability. The comment from Tim Scheerhorn was several years ago--when the current model was first introduced--and in response to a problem someone was having. It may have been related to the brass part "bouncing" into a fret and making a noise on some instruments.
Lynn Oliver

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 1:53 pm    

AJ Azure wrote:
what exactly is a Deneve guy? I am relaying what I have heard of the Deneve capo from uwaers. How exactly was my post over enthusiastic? By the way the flux hasn't gotten the best reviews as far as pure tone. The Bradley has gotten better.

Despite owning both the current Scheerhorn capo and the Bradley, I don't use a capo when playing, so I haven't really formed an attachment to either. There was a comparison posted elsewhere a couple of years ago that slightly favored the Scheerhorn over the Bradley, and we did our own "test" at the Rayco booth at Wintergrass and slightly favored the Bradley.

As to over enthusiastic, that's not what I said. In my experience Deneve owners, and I'm thinking of reso owners, are quite enthusiastic about their instruments. Nothing wrong with that--I'm happy when anyone is delighted in their own instrument--just don't expect everyone to agree. Regardless, Dick Deneve is a great guy and well worth considering doing business with. And of course Elmer Bradley is a great guy and makes one of the best "Scheerhorn" style steels as well.

However, now that you have revealed that you are not speaking from personal experience I wish you had noted that originally.
Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 3:37 pm    

I had understood that Elmer Bradley had retired and that production of the capos and steels had ceased. Supply is limited to stock on hand.

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2008 3:59 pm    

Heard that about Dick Deneve, too. Don't know if it is accurate.
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2008 5:30 am    

Re; the new Scheerhorn - I use the brass part under the string (upside down) because I find it next to impossible to close the latch while I'm wearing fingerpicks if I use it the "correct" way. I've rarely had an issue with it bouncing onto the fretboard, but it does happen -- I might put a strip of felt on it.

Peter
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos