| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Video of Shot at Sho-Bud Factory in late '50s
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 6:47 am    

Interesting! I wonder what this was made for....TV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2P590W_x00
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 6:52 am    

Was that the right link? It went to a video of some guy talking to him at the store counter.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Mark Treepaz

Hamburg, New York USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 7:23 am    

Cool.

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 10:02 am    

So cool!!!! That 'd be more like mid 60's though, anyone have one of those dual sixteen/ten string double neck permanents!!? Cool
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 10:48 am    

Wow! Where does that come from?

Kind Regards, Walter

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 2:47 pm    

great video, made my day..thanks a bunch....

Db

Pincourt, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 3:28 pm    

Great clip. Sure brings back alot of memories. Had the good pleasure of visiting with Shot at the old Sho-Bud shop where I played one of Emmons' sho-buds and then bought it. Great era for steel players. Thanks for posting.
Anne
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 6:18 pm    

Incredible! Thanks so much for posting the link!
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 6:19 pm     Shot's Music Store On Broadway

Very Happy Rolling Eyes Whoa!

Anne : I, too, visited Shot's shop there on Broadway. I owned another make of guitar, at the time; I was having trouble with a couple of my knee levers; shot says, " Bring her in and we'll fix what ever your problem is. Took me up-stairs to the work-shop and his boys went to work on it. While there I was looking around the shop and spotted a beabd new single neck he had just built for some " PRO ". Had 14 strings; the most I had seen; this was in the mid sixties. They finished working on my guitar after about 30 minutes. I asked how much for your time and Shot says, Nothing, Bernie; next time know what make of guitar to purchase. With that advice, I bought one of his " Sho-Bros and a new Lloyd Green Model, a year or two later.. But I'll never forget how friendly Shot was; no wonder he sold so many sho-Buds..Bernie Very Happy Whoa! Laughing

The First Coast
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 6:36 pm    

Nice work, Joe.
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 8:12 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Was that the right link? It went to a video of some guy talking to him at the store counter.

That "guy" was T. Tommy Cutrer, legendary WSM radio personality, and dear old family friend. He passed exactly ten years ago today, the 12th of October, 1998. If it wasn't for T., Mom wouldn't be walking today.

Love you and miss you much, brother...

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 10:39 pm    

Hey, Michael. T. Tommy was Porter Wagoner's announcer, wasn't he?

Bill
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 8:02 am    

Yeah, he emcee'd Porter's and Johnny Cash's show, and was also emcee on the GOO for many years, and an announcer/deejay for WSM radio and TV. He even made a few records and dabbled in politics, as I recall.
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2008 5:05 am    

This clip of Shot is from a mid-1960s film called "Music City USA." It shows Shot in the showroom of the Sho-Bud store on Lower Broad--not at the factory, which was on 2nd Street.

I reviewed this video for Music Row magazine during my stint as a country-music video critic in Nashville during the 1980s. At the time, "Music City USA" was marketed by Hillous Buttram, a member of that era's version of Hank Williams' Original Drifting Cowboys. Hillous also sold another great country-music film, "Country Music on Broadway," with lip-synced performances by many great 1950s country singers.

Thanks for letting all of us know about this clip on YouTube. It's great to see Shot in his element at Sho-Bud, IMHO the ultimate steel guitar shrine of its day.
Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2008 5:40 am     "Factory"

Andrew,
I think you will get some corrections on this one.
The "factory" was upstairs at this location in the mid 60s. I stand to be corrected on this, but I think I'm right. There were a couple of other locations between Broadway and 2nd Ave.

Leslie, Teresa, Ron ???

Bob Smile
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2008 3:18 pm     Bob Knight In Shot's Shop

Very Happy Laughing Rolling Eyes

Bob, I'm inclined to agree with you on the subject of the factory being up-stairs over the store on Broadway; that's where I see the 14 string steel being built, plus many other guitars were under construction, that day. It was in that very shop where I ordered my sho-bro to be built by Shot. Whoa! Laughing Rolling Eyes
Bernie

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2008 6:29 pm    

Bill Fisher,
I believe "Don Hauser" did most of the announcing work on the Porter Show.
Nick
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 3:26 am    

Hi, Bob and all--

It may be that the second story of the Lower Broad store was used as the factory in the 1960s. I wasn't there and don't know.

When I was working at Sho-Bud, 1979-83, the second floor of the Lower Broad store was used for repairs and custom instrument building, mainly guitars. One exception to this was the Frypans. They were assembled on the second floor. My job was sanding the back plates.

Harry Jackson repaired pedal steels in the back of the second floor. In front, Shot, AJ Nelson, Bill Merritt and Gene Wooten repaired other instruments and built custom guitars.

At that time, the pedal steel factory was on 2nd Street. I worked there for about six months assembling Mavericks, Pro I's, Pro II's, Pro III's and SuperPros.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 6:34 am    

Cool video. That building is where I bought my first steel guitar in 1972. Now it's Robert's.

Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 6:51 am    

Sho-Bud was the choice of steel for many steel guitarists at one time. Sho-Bud was founded in 1957 by Shot Jackson and Buddy Emmons. The place where Sho-Bud used to be-Robert's is home to BR5-49, a band featuring Don Herron on steel. Inside of Robert's, there's a bar known as the Sho-Bud bar.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mark Treepaz

Hamburg, New York USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 9:54 am    

AH-HA! So THAT'S where the "Sho-Bud Balcony" came from in Roberts! I was wondering about that when I was down there last week! Mystery solved! I asked the barmaid about it, but she didn't have a clue.

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 12:58 pm    

WOW! The "monster"?

"Dual strings on one bank and the single strings on the other".

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 5:44 pm    

Brett Day wrote:
The place where Sho-Bud used to be-Robert's is home to BR5-49....

Not for some time now. BR5-59 hit the big time a while back. Brazilbilly took over the Friday/Saturday night spots when BR5-49 went national. Unfortunately, I think Brazilbilly (who features the EXCELLENT Chris Casello on 6-string) has since split ways. They were one of the main reasons for my wife and I to travel to Nashville at least annually.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 5:45 pm    

I was in the store on Broadway in the Spring of '73. Jack Boles worked there and also did band bookings for artists going on tour. You never knew who would be in the store asking Jack for muscians for a week or two gig. Pickers were always hanging around hoping to get to play bass, steel, drums or guitar. It was a fun place. It was there that I saw Curly Chalker's ShoBud Crossover that he turned in when he switched to MSA. Too bad that store is history gone by. That steel with the double strings is on an old brochure that I have in my collection. It had George Lewis name stamped on the back of George L fame.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2008 7:44 pm    

I loved that old store. Used to hang there when I was on the road or recording with Michael Murphey around 72-74. Jack Boles ran the front, and there was a totally gorgeous girl named (if I recall correctly) Kathy working the counter, who was also a classical singer.

Jack also MC'd the "Sho~Bud Showcase" radio show that came on after the "Midnight Jamboree," from across the street at ET's record store.

Upstairs, Harry held court, making the custom guitars. The factory, Music City Mfg., was over on 2nd Ave. Upstairs was where I first saw/met Tommy White, who looked about 10 years old, blowing everyone away. Also Jimmy Day, before we became pals, playing incredible E9... with no pedals! Just bar slants and bar movement.

Those were some good old days.

Last time I saw Jack was in the mid-80's, when we gigged together one night here in Austin. I think he was traveling with Connie Cato, whom my band backed up a couple times in TX. Is Jack still living?

Back in 1995, I was in Nashville for a newspaper convention and a bunch of us went to Roberts' to see BR549. I ran into Lynn Owsley and Neil Flanz there and Lynn asked if I remembered the building. Blew my mind when he refreshed my memory and told me it was the old Sho~Bud bldg. I had forgotten completely about it.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?