| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Impossible chords on lapsteel
Ron !

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 4:00 pm    

This link was just send to me by a friend I have in Holland(Europe).
Just take a look at it and maybe it is something you have use for.
Click Here

Ron
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 5:29 pm    

Is he using the Leavitt tuning?
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 5:39 pm    

It might be Billy Hew Len's G9. But I would bet that it's a 6th tuning. Most likely C6. I'm not sending the guy any money.

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 6:28 pm     Ask Billy Robinson if it's impossible

D6 was named as the tuning in the video.

There have to be at least a few players looking into this stuff. Accessing chords not otherwise available in a given tuning through string pulls & slants, and using them in combinations...

Mr. Voice-Over Guy ain't telling, of course, but pause the video anywhere between 1:33 and 1:43, where he has the 4 chord diagrams. Top left-- pull string 1 up a half-step behind the bar.
Top right is a forward split-string slant w/ strings 1,2 & 4, and pull string 3.

The ones on the bottom are fairly brutal...Bottom left is a reverse split-string slant with strings 4 & 5 covered by the butt end of the bar, nose on string 1 one fret down, and strings 2 & 3 both being pulled (a different distance for each) behind the bar.
Bottom right is the same forward split-string slant as in the top right position, except it's not just string 3 that's being pulled, but string 2 as well.

I'm sure the video you get with a donation is an eye-opener. I gotta hand it to this guy-- he sounds like he's got his doctorate in Tuning Expansion!

I'm about 2 turns along the trail, myself..... Oh Well

--Steve
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 7:47 pm    

You can do a lot more than this a lot easier with the Leavitt tuning.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 10:35 pm    

Would you trust a guy who could not spell? Whoa!
He has a problem spelling common words.

Aloha, Smile
Don
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2008 11:07 pm    

In the very beginning of the video, look at the strings behind the nut...they look very odd and loose. Confused
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 6:47 am    

Sounds like those would have to be played very often in practice, to be able be proficient at it.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 6:58 am    

The YouTube clip is nothing new to those of us who've checked out this approach.As Bill said, the Leavitt tuning probably gives you the most access to complex harmony on a 6-string guitar but there's an awful lot available on a 6th tuning. IMHO, Billy Robinson is THE master of this style.

http://www.mikeihde.com/brobinson.htm

One aspect of this approach to the steel that you can't easily do is to slant the bar, add a string pull, then gliss the whole thing up or down the neck unless you're a Shaolin monk or have titanium finger implants.
Ron !

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 7:58 am    

This is Walter Niesing's video on YouTube.He is a good friend of mine and probably in his late 60's or early 70's.I have not seen him in some time because I moved from The Netherlands to Pennsylvania in 2005.
I do know that this man is a wonder on a Hawaiian guitar.
As many of you know was the Hawaiian music in Europe (especially The Netherlands) very big in the 50's and 60's.
Walter has had his own Radio station and does now anything he can do to keep the Hawaiian Music alive in The Netherlands.

Whether another tuning is better then his is not the point I was trying to make.This was merely that I thought it would help some of you out.
It is totally up to you guys whether you like his stuff or not.
Quote:
Would you trust a guy who could not spell?

That's a good one Don....I can't spell either....does that mean you don't trust me either? Laughing
Quote:
IMHO, Billy Robinson is THE master of this style.

Andy....Walter plays a 7 string...not a 10
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 1:34 pm    

Not to diminish in anyway the gentleman's excellent technique, something to keep in mind when approaching this kind of playing is the use of "correct" voice-leading. Just because you can play a certain chord does not automatically mean you can slide right into the next chord, pull/slant the strings and expect the voice-leading to be right. Voice-leading is a real art-form.

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 1:54 pm    

what is the leavitt tuning? would like to try it.
Ron !

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 2:03 pm    

Quote:
Not to diminish in anyway the gentleman's excellent technique, something to keep in mind when approaching this kind of playing is the use of "correct" voice-leading. Just because you can play a certain chord does not automatically mean you can slide right into the next chord, pull/slant the strings and expect the voice-leading to be right. Voice-leading is a real art-form.

Twayne...trust me....He is playing for over 50some years and knows what he is doing.

Ron
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 2:27 pm    

Ron Steenwijk wrote:
Quote:

Twayne...trust me....He is playing for over 50some years and knows what he is doing.

Ron

I'm sure he does, I was merely making an observation on the nature of voice-leading. Smile