| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Lap Steel Player!
Tony Wilcox

Humble, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 5:40 pm    

My son is 14 years old and wants to learn how to play 6 string lap steel. Any suggestions on what would be a good guitar for him to start out with? And do they fingerpicks for youth?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 6:44 pm    

Welcome, Tony, and be sure to have your son post up!

www.dynalap.com - these are about the best bang for the buck steels made today, combining fair $ amount with quality build and sound. The kits are really cheap and set up is a snap, plus, in putting it together it'll help your son know the what's/where's/why's about his guitar.

The old standard National type finger picks can be eaily be made to fit his fingers, but minute customizing to make them feel comfortable and blades shaped to prefference is always needed. A heavy gauge is best.

Lot's of learning material available, but I always suggest starting off with Jerry Byrd's book/CD and video, to learn the important fundamentals from the best ever. Check out my steel web site's tutorial page (pg.4) for the beginner basics and more info - www.hwnsge.5u.com
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 8:13 pm    

A big WELCOME!!!!! To you and your boy!!

I would go with a vintage supro, national, oahu ect..... for a guitar. They are cheaper than the more expensive new ones and sound and work great. As a bonus you will almost always get a good return on your money later if you want to sell and upgrade or change.

I use picks for acoustic dobro but they are not an absolute necessity for an electric lap steel. I hate picks but they are necessary for playing acoustic with a bunch of other loud instruments, especially a banjo! I like the dynamics of bare fingers on an electric steel.

I think you should be able to find something worth while in the $200-$400 range pretty easy in a vintage instrument.

You have definitely come to the right place for advice!!! There are a lot of great players on here, excluding myself...I would consider myself as still in the apprentice stage of my playing.

I think all of the answers to your above questions will be opinions just as mine are. Take what you like and make the best of it!!

<*)))>{
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 9:07 pm    

You didn't mention what kind of music he wants to play and/or if he already has a tuning in mind or if he has any musical knowlege and experience. All of those would have some bearing on what advice I'd give. Even regarding hardware, shortscale guitars are considered best for beginners in some situations but not necessarily in others.
As for the make and model, it's easier to tell you what guitars to avoid. But the two new guitars I would recommend for a beginner would be either the Chandler RH2 which is a shortscale guitar or the Gold Tone knockoff of the old Oahu Tonemaster. The Gold Tone is a longer scale guitar. The vintage guitars mentioned above have all proven worthy. But as with a used guitar or any other used impliment, you want to watch out for wear and tear that may have occurred.

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 5:20 am    

Edward Meisse wrote:
....Even regarding hardware, shortscale guitars are considered best for beginners in some situations but not necessarily in others. ...

Interesting. Why/what situation would shorter scale be best for beginners?
I have a few really short scales and a few 23" scales.
Really just curious, not doubting what you say.
Edward Meisse

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 6:57 am    

It is generally considered to be easier to learn (and for that matter to execute under almost any circumstances) slants, especially split slants, on short scale guitars. The very best guitar I ever had in this respect was a 22 1/4 inch scale Excel Jerry Byrd model. But my 23 inch Chandler is also very good.

Dover, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 10:37 am    

Welcome aboard! It's great to hear someone that young is interested in the lap steel! I go along with Jim Konrad. A 50's Valco ( Supro, National, Airline, etc.) would give you one of the classic pickups yet they are very affordable. Plus you have some collector value. There are other great lap steels from that era that are affordable also. Jim mentioned the Oahu. That would be fine. Check around and don't be afraid to ask for help in any area of the "steel". You'll find an answer, here on the forum, to about any question you have!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 11:32 am    

While I love the old Supro types, you'd be hard pressed to find one to match up against a DynaLap in tone, set up, reliability and playability. And finding an oldie without 'issues' is at best chancy. The non grooved nut on a DynaLap is straight over the top, which allows using it as a playable zero fret. Not many guitars that you can do that with, a big plus.

Tony, if you're considering a DynaLap, I'd suggest getting an 8 string model (same price), as it can be played as a 6, but will allow the player to advance to 7 or 8 should it be desired. Another plus.
The only niggle I have with these guitars is the #8 tuner is a bit too close to the nut for my fingers and style. Otherwise, virtually perfect. Played as a 6er, that situation would not come into question. And, you don't have to always worry about getting a scratch or ding that would depreciate the value of a vintage guitar in resale.

Rock on!
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 11:56 am    

why not...

The Rogue one from Musicians Friend online for like 80 bucks?

Not the best, but a decent starter for cheap.
After I replaced the pickup and nut, on mine, it's actually not a bad (but kinda' Short) steel.
Even out of the box, it is playable.
Cheap investment to see if he wants to play, THEN spend bucks on a nicer one. This one will still be there as a second tuned one or a travel one or a backup or pass it to a friend..hard to go wrong for 80 bucks, IMO.
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 12:47 pm    

How about this one Roger Kelly has in the for sale section, $100 and it has a 22.5 scale.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=143024

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 1:27 pm    

Tom, those have caught my eye for some time as well. They look way better (from pix) than those doggie rogues, and would probably make a good custom redo project.
Tony Wilcox

Humble, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 6:58 pm    

Edward Meisse wrote:
You didn't mention what kind of music he wants to play and/or if he already has a tuning in mind or if he has any musical knowlege and experience.
He actually plays acoustic guitar, but wants to play lap steel. He says he wants to play western swing (bob wills, etc.)
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 8:08 pm    

etc. is good!
Edward Meisse

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2008 8:52 pm    

Tony Wilcox wrote:
Edward Meisse wrote:
You didn't mention what kind of music he wants to play and/or if he already has a tuning in mind or if he has any musical knowlege and experience.
He actually plays acoustic guitar, but wants to play lap steel. He says he wants to play western swing (bob wills, etc.)

In that case I would second the suggestion above that he start out with the Jerry Byrd book. It has a lot of Hawaiian in it. But it does cover the basic elements of what you need to play swing very well. It sort of goes through a history of tunings before settling on C6/A7. Really a terrific overview of the instrument. I can't say enough great stuff about it. I would also suggest that he start out with an instrument with a scale of no longer than 23". That'll make it easier to get the basic hang of things.
Of course, I also suggest that he get a good grounding in music theory, if he hasn't got one from playing acoustic guitar. Many people have spoken highly of the idea that beginners should start out with Lorene Ruymer's steel guitar course. But others think this is a lousy idea because it is in A tuning all the way. They consider it a waste of time to play in that tuning for any great length of time unless you intend to actually make extensive use of it. I always suggest starting out with, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory." It starts at the beginning. And it gives suggestions for further reading at the end.
With a basic idea of where the notes are from the JB book and a basic idea of their relationship to each other he should be on his way. Good luck to him. Very Happy

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2008 11:07 am     Dittos Edward!

The DynaLap's are 23" scale, and it's a nice compromise. Maybe even part of the reason these sound so good.