| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Baritone Weissenborn Style
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 8:56 am    

I will take delivery today of a new 30 inch scale baritone hollowneck (Weissenborn) guitar. The strings that are on it are .018 - .080. Is there anyone who has experience with a full 30 inch scale as to what open tuning works with what gauge? The only other sets I see for sale are .014 - .070 and I have no idea yet if those work for a full 30 inch scale.

I have 25" inch scale and have that wired but this new huge baritone is a whole new game for me.

You can email me at my home address.

Thanks in advance.
Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 9:02 am     Who done it?

Lazy River? Celtic Cross? Pictures?
( when you get it)
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 10:39 am    

It's a CC. Before I swing my leg over the saddle I need to get the string gauges right. Looking at string gauge charts and knowing that a 30 inch scale puts more tension on the instrument. Looks like open A, with this 18 22 35 52 65 80 set makes sense. Some seem to line up ok and others are always off. I do not what to place excess stress on this guitar. Any help, if available, is appreciated. I realize there are very few 30 inch scale hollownecks out there.
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 6:10 am    

I tuned it to standard open A ( 151351 ). It really is a treat to play because it's so mellow sounding. The sound reminded me of a instrumental for a movie. Above the octave it's really sweet without the ear piecing sound I get from my 25 inch scale that has a fret wire saddle. I'm sold on the bone saddles for my style playing. The bass notes, even the open 80 gauge string sounds great and I find myself getting bass runs in because of that. A 30 inch scale is another world of sound and I like it.

If anyone out there has access to a string gauge chart that is for ACOUSTIC instruments that goes up to 80 gauge please email me. There is virtually zero information I can find regarding string gauge for acoustic instruments that go up to 80 gauge.

Thanks
Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 6:47 am    

Gary,
I trust you've seen this post about Fred's Baritone Burgin Weissenborn.
He's using some biggies on there.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=141464
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 7:15 am    

Yes I have. Thanks.
Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2008 7:03 am    

Gary - I'm sure I'm not the only one to say: Pics, soundclips - please! Wink

Enjoy your new baritone!

Cheers,

Fred

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2008 7:55 am    

I'll tell you one thing for sure, using your thumb pick on a acoustic .080 gauge string on the low end, is a chore until your thumb builds up to Mr. Universe standards. A few times it spun my thumb pick right off. The good news is that the second octave sounds excellent all the way up to the 24th fret position without that shrill ice pick in the eardrum tone. Therefore you can have the best of both worlds in a way. The clarity and smooth tone way up there does not seem to diminish at all giving the player a large range of notes and dynamics to ponder. The open .080 bass string goes subterranean it's so low. My body is a full 4" deep. This new experience in playing has taken my thoughts off the elections thank God. I was about to go unstable.