| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opening for Asleep at the Wheel 4/24/03
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 3:14 pm    

That's right - next Wed evening I'll be picking my Excel 12-string with The Riders of the Purple Sage. We'll be opening for AATW up at the fairgrounds in Thousand Oaks,CA for a thing they call "Conejo Valley Days" We do a 45 min set at 6:45PM and the Wheel will pick at 8:00PM. If you lean towards real cowboy music,come on down and check it out. Meanwhile check out the Riders website. http://www.ridersofthepurplesage.com/bios.html
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2003 8:53 am    

Comin' up in two days....
BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2003 9:02 am    

Mike, I see from your biography you played with Duane Allman.. What was that like? ..I'm a big Allman Brother fan myself.. Probably my biggest regret was passing up on free tickets to one of there concerts way back in the "good ole days"..It turned out to be the night they recorded the "Live at the Filmore East" album. As you can tell i'm still kicking myself in the ass over that one.

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

[This message was edited by BobG on 28 April 2003 at 10:03 AM.]

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2003 9:10 am    

Good luck on your gig Mike! If I was going to be anywhere in that area I would sure love to hear it all. Wow, playing with the Alman bros had to have been a good time.

Rick
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2003 11:25 am    

Duane,Gregg and myself were all sent to Castle Heights Military Academy in Lebanon,TN for basically being screwups in civilian society.We met each other there in 1963 and played music in an ongoing ensemble they already had together which they always called "The Allman Joys". He was a year older and much more advanced than me on guitar and he showed me a lot of R&B styles that I was not really hip to at age 16 - as well as music in general and I remember he had a great R&B,Blues and Jazz record collection.He's the guy who taught me what a "turnaround" was,etc. After high school we stayed in touch and I ran into Duane and Gregg a few times over the years and even opened for them once in the early days of the Allman Bros Band in 1969. I last saw Duane a couple months before he got killed in 1971.He was the first real good guitar player I knew personaly.I was around him a lot for a couple of years and I saw how much he practiced and how hard he worked at extracting licks off records,etc. Eventually a realization came to me: "So THAT'S what it takes to get good!" -MJ-
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2003 12:44 pm    

Tonight's the night!