| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New B- Bender
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2008 11:49 am    

My friend Don Thompson has developed the ultimate Bender. Easy to mount without any modifacation to your guitar. Its called the Tremor Bender. You can bend the B or G or both. Made for Fender and Gibson.
Sells for $150.00 plus $10.00 shipping

Contact Don at: www.tremorbender.com or call 616-794-3574
Mention my name and I'll make a couple bucks. Razz

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2008 7:25 pm    

TTT
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2008 8:55 pm    

Yeah,We are talkin about that right now on the Tele forum..
His site says either the B or G string..Doesn't mention both at the same time..that would be interesting..PJ...
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 2:33 am    

this is pretty kool..UGLY , but kool...

I may divulge and add one to my basket Tele.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 8:49 am    

Here's the Rolls-Royce of benders...the Evans Pullstring. A very refined version of Dave Evans' original, which was the first production shoulder-strap bender. I never could work with palm hnits and right-hand levers...they always seemed to get in the way of right hand muting, changing picking hand positions for tonal reasons and hybrid picking really gets fouled up in my case (and since that's how I play 6-string, it pretty much ices levers and palm pedals). This one's on my '58-ish Tele with some Red Rhodes wiring mods:

Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 8:49 am    

PJ, I probably should take my foot out. The double pull was my play on words. Both pulls are there but are no seperate adjustment so I don't know how it could be done. Stupid me. Embarassed

Tony, How can you say it's ugly compared to the original Tele bridge. Ha Ha.
But really this product is very well built and very simple. What I really like about it is, It bolts right on your guitar without any routing or drilling.
I really like mine. I have mine pulling the B to C# with no problem. It took me about 15 minutes to install mine.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 8:52 am    

I like the b benders that do not require back routs from the body. You start removing wood in those amounts from a body and you detract from the sound of the guitar.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 9:39 am    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
I like the b benders that do not require back routs from the body. You start removing wood in those amounts from a body and you detract from the sound of the guitar.

I have to agree: Forest Lee talked me out of putting that kind of bender on my vintage Tele as it would destroy the value as well as the tone.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 11:52 am    

In the 70's I had a bender on my tele,it was called THE HIPSHOT,you could bend the second AND third together or one at a time,It worked great,stayed in tune,did'nt break strings,and you did'nt have to butcher a nice guitar to install it,Don't know if they are still around or not.DYKBC.

Over there
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 12:45 pm    

Charles Davidson wrote:
In the 70's I had a bender on my tele,it was called THE HIPSHOT,you could bend the second AND third together or one at a time,It worked great,stayed in tune,did'nt break strings,and you did'nt have to butcher a nice guitar to install it,Don't know if they are still around or not.DYKBC.

Will Ray uses 'em.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 1:18 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Here's the Rolls-Royce of benders...the Evans Pullstring. A very refined version of Dave Evans' original, which was the first production shoulder-strap bender.

That sure is elegant. It's the first I've seen a picture of the Evans bender. Did he always use the separate routing for the adjustable spring?

Doesn't Albert Lee have an Evans-equipped guitar (or more than one)?

When you say "the first production shoulder-strap bender", what do you mean exactly? Did Evans start producing them at a time when Parsons had only done Clarence White's guitar?
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 1:42 pm    

Charles D
Hipshot is going strong! I use one with both the B and G benders, and with three toggles that lower the Es to Ds, and the A to G. Flip the toggles, and instant Dropped D tuning, or flip all three for instant Low Bass G tuning for bottleneck/dobro stuff.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2008 8:56 pm    

Quote:

I totally disagree based on 30+ years of owning about 15 different ones playing and setting up at least a hundred or so. They do not detract from the tone at all - the change, if any is noticeable at all, is a slightly MORE resonant instrument - especially Mike Nihen's Nashville West models with the double body like Clarence's original, which has a bit more "ring" and richer harmonics due to the "standoff" from your body.

There IS a tonal change with the Parsons-Green model...a slight increase in sustain...due to increased weight and the stiffness of the entire plate-based structure.. But installed correctly, the weight change on a quality Parsons, Evans or Glaser unit is nil.

No, I would not rout a vintage guitar and install one, unless I was dead-sure it was a lifetime guitar and I REALLY wanted it that way. But if there was a chance I'd ever sell it - no.

The other thing to grasp is that B-bender playing, when done really well, is not "Telecaster with a bender added" playing - it's a unique instrument all its own. Most weaker bender players treat it like "gadget" or a novelty and play "look at me" bends - when the bends are not an added feature but just part of the music (and part of your style) they REALLY work, and many listeners forget totally about the bender...they just hear the music. That's the whole idea.

Brint - yes, when Dave started producing Pullstrings Gene had made only Clarence's guitar. In fact, the initial patent he had was not for the PArsons-White bender..it was for Clarence's and never applicable to the PW, which was never patented. The only other one he patented was the Parsons-Green. There are several patented designs - Leo had one (much like the Parsons-Green, but mounted on the body), Paul MsEwen's Slingshot, the Hipshot, and quite a few others. Dave never patented his as he made so few before politely bowing out to Gene. He certainly could, but it's such a limited-market item I wonder why some of the others have gone to the expense!

But having played and worked on so many, I can say without any doubt Dave's is both extremely high-quality and very unique. The pull is dead-linear, with no surprise humps; the spring tension is fully adjustable; it can be set for short (5/8", the PW standard) pull, 1 1/8" (the standard long-throw that matches Clarence's), and my "signature" - a middle position at 7/8" pull that I really think is he "sweet spot. What's amazing is you can remove the back, make the change, reinstall the back and re-set the stop in less than 5 minutes! I was just stunned when I got it, it's so far beyond anything else on the market...and at the same price point as the PW, Glaser and other top-end units.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional