| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons aluminum neck question
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2008 9:15 pm    

I have remove both necks from my 83 Emmons push-pull. They appear to be identical, but when I peeled the fretboard off the C6 neck there was handwritten on the top of the neck "C6". Then I peeled the fretboard back, but not entirely off the E9 neck and there was also handwritten on the top of the neck "E9". I again inspected the two necks and I can see no difference whatsoever.

I can't see any reason in the manufacturing process to distinguish between C6 and E9 necks, unless there is some difference. Has anyone seen these markings on the necks? Any thoughts?

Paul
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2008 6:38 am    

Just to be on the safe side, I would put the same necks back where they were originally.

There might be a slight difference in the hole positioning when fastening them down.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2008 7:38 am    

I think Erv is right. That is, the "C6" and "E9" markings probably have to do with neck screw alignments for each one. They could be interchangeable but sometimes there are slight differences in where the drillings occur for each screw. I'm not sure if back then Emmons used a standardized guide jig during that part of the assembly process.

I know that that is definitely the case with Sho-Buds. Gumby headstock drillings can be way off from each other. Due to that, one headstock might not fit another steel. Happened with my LDG which I found out when Coop rebuilt it.