| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day on shotgun willie album
Ben Edmonds

Greenfield, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 4:43 pm    

I am curious as to what his rig was around that time? this album blows me away everytime I hear it, maybe the reason I started playing steel in the first place.
I am aware that its in the hands of one of the most soulful players ever, but I'd still like to know what he was playing...Thanks
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 4:51 am    

I wanna know too. I have the album somewhere. I put it on tape so I could haul it around.
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 7:37 am    

I would be willing to bet he was playing a Sho-Bud at that time..but..I may be wrong Smile

Brandon

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 6:44 pm    

Jimmy never used any effects except the reverb on his amp. He went from the guitar to volume pedal to amp. Jody.
Ben Edmonds

Greenfield, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2008 9:08 am    

Yeah I figured sho bud...when he goes from that funky organ like vamp on whiskey river to the sweet full backing its killer but to me it sounds like two totally different tones, it kills me. Just great tone all over.

I got the cd used the other day for 5 bucks, I have it on LP but its been a while...Its in constant rotation again.
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 1:09 am    

This one is on CD, and also part of the Atlantic box set on Rhino, which has his two Atlantic albums, their outtakes, plus the unissued live album with Day, from '74.
Chris Rohde

Portland, ME, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 4:14 pm    

I am also a big fan of Jimmy Day's playing on this record - has anyone ever tabbed out the break to the song w/ the lyrics "slow downs, slow down" in the chorus (I can't find my copy of the CD right now and can't remember the name of the song)? It has a great descending line in it that I've not been able to nail...
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 5:03 pm    

the title of that song is: "Slow Down,Old World", imho some of the best of Jimmy's playing on that album. When SW came out I gave it the first listen with a friend who was steel-ignorant at the time, but when he heard THAT cut, the tears started flowing....for both of us. That descending thing just flat tore us up!
Yeah, ol' Jimmy can get to you alright! Wink