| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show us your Super-Pro and its number.
Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 2:42 am    

Hi Guys
Having played sho-Buds for years (although my current road guitar is an Emmons D10 SKH). I've just aquired a Super-Pro as shown in another post. I'd love to see your Super-Pro and it's number. Does anyone know how many were produced and the variations available.
This one is number 14776.

Cheers
Barry
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 8:18 am    

The SuperPro started in 1977 and might've been built until after 1981.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 9:49 am    

OK, I'll go first.
Here's mine. Tricked out with Marrs fingers (pins, not slots), original Lawrence 705's, and reverse diamond inlay. Serial #13838.
btw... nice gtr, Barry.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 9:58 am    

Eye candy or what....nice steels, boys! Shocked
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 9:59 am    

Hey, Skipper --

I love that guitar. It's one of the best Super Pros that I've ever heard!

Let's get together soon. Boo
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 10:35 am    

#3, off the "line", serial # 13125, it's had some mods:

Last edited by chas smith R.I.P. on 28 Sep 2008 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 1:24 pm    

I love Sho-Bud Super Pros and those steels are beautiful!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 6:11 pm    

Here's my old girl - she's looking a bit battered and is owned by someone else these days. I got it on Jan 11th 1982, custom built with a 9+9 setup and BL705's ... I would actually like to get it back and completely rebuild it to it's original glory !! Serial #17360

Last edited by Paddy Long on 25 Sep 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 2:13 am    

Hey Paddy
Haven't you got enough ZUM's to keep you busy? I've got my eye on that guitar. Just worry about my double stop lever problem. I'll post my 'BUD' pix and info soon - need sleeeeep.
Sandy
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 5:41 am     My "New" Sho~Bud Super Pro #15889

Barry,

Your guitar is a real beauty! Here is a few photos of mine. I just restored/rescued it a few months ago.

Best regards,

Lynn Stafford
Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 6:25 am    

Hi Guys
Thanks for responding.
They sure are gorgeous guitars.
Lynn, that is one super fab guitar. It brings a smile just to lok at it.
When I look at mine, it's easy to see how, with a little advanced thought, Sho-Bud could have produced an all time classic. It had the makings of the ultimate instrument. A compact body, gorgeous, solid wood and inlay, that sound, a unique string attachment on the changer, a basically sound design.
Maybe if it had the spring adjusters on a screw at the endplate (It can still be done by a competent engineer). Also it would have been easy to put half stops on the endplate given the design (and still is)
The obvious monkey metal underneath was Sho-Bud's greatest faux-pas. (suited accountants Rolling Eyes against instrument makers I suppose). Failure to be aware of other makers who were refining their instruments.
Given that mine seems to be a later one. I wonder why it still has the high Grovers and not the low profile ones.
Still, you can't help but love 'em Very Happy

Barry
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 7:10 am    

Barry, Given what's often been said here on the Forum by knowledgeable people about Sho-Bud "serial" numbers being meaningless, the higher number of yours may not indicate that it's a later one. My guess, based on conjecture only, would be that the rope inlay (in addition to the Grovers) indicates it's an earlier one. But then it has the all black and white fretboards! With Sho-Bud, there's just no telling! Confused

Lynn, That's amazing! What did you use to get that high polish on the endplates? I've attempted to polish mine over the years and had concluded that such a brilliant polish was literally impossible!
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 9:44 am     super pro II

its all original........and its 8 & 4.

Last edited by bruce fischer on 24 Sep 2008 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 9:58 am    

Bruce, Wow! Whoa! What a beauty! And not just any Super Pro II, but Jimmy Day's. You are one lucky hombre!

Since Super Pro IIs are such incredibly rare beasts, and most of us will never see one in person, could you post additional pics, including underside shots? Pretty please? Very Happy
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 10:38 am    

Barry, thanks very much. You're correct about the comments you made and it is too bad Sho-Bud used the pot metal to make those parts. Of course I've replaced the KL brackets on my guitar. Otherwise, it's all original.

Brint, thanks to you too! After I took the guitar apart, I had all the aluminum parts professionally polished by someone here in Portland. I'm sure glad I found him, as he does real nice work! I just had the same thing done with the parts for an Emmons PP I'm rebuilding right now.

Best regards,

Lynn
Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 12:03 pm    

Bruce, you lucky dog, that's a peach.
Is the mechanism and are all the pullers, Sho-Bud parts underneath ?
I'm with Brint, a few close up shots would be great.
Is it an 8+4 or can't I see the fifth knee ?.
Cheers
Barry
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 2:17 pm    

Sandy I would be doing it up for you mate !! your right I have a house full of Zum's to keep me going for a while.

Barry if I remember correctly the standard factory setup was an 8 pedal 6 knee configuration, with the 6th knee being in the middle for the C6th neck.
Chris Allen Burke

Signal Hill, CA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 4:35 pm    

Here's one that I modified and use on shows that call for E9 & dobro. The back neck is a Marrs-Fluger reso. The E9 has J. Coop roller fingers as well as some underside parts. It's a 5X5. The dobro has no pedals, sounds very close on a live stage.
I love this guitar, it sounds so good and plays perfectly the way I want. I got a little nervious playing it out so I built another one from a Carter for road travel. I'll check on the serial #. The guitar is in a case right now. But I've owned it for 20 years before the rebuild.
I have since rebuilt 5 Super Pros. Two were so trashed they became SD-10's. 1 is a premium blackey and I am waiting on photos of that one.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 7:11 pm    

wow bruce..nice super pro II..there aren't that many out there...hope it's being played and appreciated.

chris..i always cringe when i see someone tear a good d10 apart, but that looks nice...isn't signal hill somewhere in the foothills south of jackson,ca...i could be wrong, but if not you're near me!
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 9:37 pm    

I don't want to give my serial no. but I can tell you it starts with 47.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 9:40 pm    

Chris Allen Burke

Signal Hill, CA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2008 9:08 am    

Chris,

Well you're right in thinking it's a shame to tear dowm a good guitar. However, there are alot of thrashed n' trashed super pros out there. As they were the workhorse of the psg world for a time. These are the ones I try to locate so I can bring some life back to them. I have two right now. One will stay a D-10, will have all the upgrades. The other will have to be an SD-10.
Believe it or not I have found a fair amount of players that want the Super Pro design but have no interest in C6. When I finish an SD-10 version the guitars are usually gone from my shop before I can get the next one in.

Signal Hill is in the LA area. Long Beach.

Keeponapicin'
CAB
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2008 10:28 am    

Chris Allen Burke, that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while.
Thank you for sharing your photos, everyone, I've enjoyed it so far.
-John
Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2008 6:54 pm    

I love my Super Pro - no better tone anywhere. I just wish my RKR wasn't so hard to work. It's pulling a bunch of stuff - on the E neck: double lower on 2 (with a great "notch"), half-step lower on 9 and on the C neck it raises 4 a half step. I gotta work pretty hard to get that A up to B flat on the C neck. I used to also raise the lower A on the C neck, but tuned it out to try to make it easier. Any suggestions? Bobbe said to tune out the whole-step lower on the E neck 2 and that did make a world of difference, but I gotta have that D natural.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2008 7:13 pm    

Jim, I tune my 9th string to C# and pull it up to D at the same time I lower 2 to D. Having C# on the 9th opens up lot of possibilities for "lower" runs.