| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My New Guitar, and THANKS to Jody Carver
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 5:12 pm    

I'm thrilled to be the new owner of a mint 1959 D-8 Stringmaster!

I'll have photos up on my web site in a few days. I'll post here when they're up.

I wasn't about to trust this beauty to a shipper, so I drove 1200 miles round trip to pick it up! That was last Friday thru a major snowstorm. All went well.

What was Great "icing on the cake" was I got to spend a day/overnight with Jody Carver.

Thanks Jody and Marilyn for your hospitality!
Marilyn made a fantasic dinner and I tried to beat the "Greatest Number of Meatballs eaten in a single setting" record held by the late Ron Lashley Sr. (this record was also set at the Carver's)

I'm a Peddler, so I sat behind Jody's classic Emmons while he played my new guitar.
Wonderful pickin and stories filled the night into the early AM !

Jody was the perfect-expert to evaulate and help setup my new baby. He was as thrilled about it as I was. His expert opinion
("That's a great freakin guitar") made my day. He even cleaned my Tweed Case!

A funny moment occured when Marilyn called up to us, "Smiley Roberts is on the phone".
This was pure coincidence, as Smiley did not know I was there. I answered the phone and totally confused him.

I notice this post is quite long. I suspect that some of Jody's style rubbed off on me.

That can't be a bad thing.

Thanks again Jody and Marilyn for the great hospitality!

------------------

-j0ey-
www.JoeyAce.com

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 13 February 2003 at 06:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 20 April 2003 at 10:30 AM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 5:37 pm    

It's a beauty! Did you and Jody "record" any of that session? Shame on you if you didn't! www.genejones.com
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 6:00 pm    

Hey Gene, I'm just green with envy aren't you ?? Spendin a day with Jody & Marilyn. Why don't we get together one day and go "CRASH" at Jody's Place !! (wow, sounds like a good song title huh ? JODY'S PLACE )

------------------
JUST 'CAUSE I STEEL, DON'T MAKE ME A THIEF

[This message was edited by John P.Phillips on 13 February 2003 at 06:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by John P.Phillips on 13 February 2003 at 06:03 PM.]

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 6:30 pm    

OK...good name, "Jody's Place" He better get ready to "pave" the lawn! Gene
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 5:03 am    

Joey, very excellent Guitar, what a beauty.

Play it in good health..

tp
Sunny Callen

Las Vegas NV USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 7:23 am    

Jody hooked me up with my perfect String Master a few months back as well. . .

Joey's post is just one more statement of fact why Jody Carver is a true gentleman in every sense of the word and why he is a national treasure; keeper of the lore for our kind of music and these very special instruments that make our music so magical. . .

Right on, Jody - Write that book!!

[This message was edited by Sunny Callen on 14 February 2003 at 07:24 AM.]

Greg Sullivan

Poughqaug New York
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 10:39 am    

Since I am new here,and not what you would call a steel guitar player,but being a good friend of who this topic is about,I wanted to add my thanks to you Joey Ace for your nice comments about Jody and Marilyn.

Jody had invited my wife and myself over to meet you.But we didnt want to intrude.I am
happy that you have the Fender that you wanted so much and Jody told me of the distance you drove to make your dream come true.

I have a two neck Fender that Jody gave to my dad years ago,but since I have a problem using my right hand I'm unable to execute what Jody is trying to teach me.

I'm going in for surgery this March and I pray that this will help me get some correction so that I can use my right hand.

My hand and arm for less than normal use is okay and I never intended to pursue surgery as it will not be definite that the surgery will be a cure all.

But since my re-union with Jody after many years I have decided to go through with it after all. I can use my right hand to play trombone,but playing the steel guitar is a little more invloved.

As I look at the names here,I feel as though
I know all of you as Jody has mentioned all of you to me.

Again I'm sorry we didnt get to meet you Joey
I have heard many nice things about you.

The same goes for all of you. Mr Callen I am
well aware of your personal feelings about Jody and he told me the whole story,and I can tell without being a tell all,you have a place in Jody's book.

Thanks to all of you and Joey,you are welcome here anytime you visit Jody again.That would be our pleasure. Too bad you didnt spend as much time as you did.You would have had a ball.

Greg & Lisa Sullivan
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 12:36 pm    

Well all I can say is "Its great to have a P.R. man like Greg.

Thanks Greg and too add to your nice comments. Joey Ace is one of a kind. He drove through a snow storm just to see me

His new guitar is a BEAUTY and we had a good time,like Greg said,time went too fast and all at once he was gone.

We had a fine time together and Joey and I went up to my music room and messed with the new baby.

It was 2 am and we eating spice pound cake that Marilyn baked especially for Joey.

It was a great day but I didnt get a chance to show Joey around. I wanted to show my friend where the memorial to my friend Ben the bear was.

Joey,,I enjoyed you being here even though the time we had was short. You are always welcome here.For a big guy like you,Im suprised you didnt make it to the finish line and at least get close to the "MeatBall" Marathon and the undisputed winner and still "Champion of The Meat Ball Marathon is the late Ron Lashley Sr.

Joey,I think you may have taken a bath towel in your haste to get on the road to Ontario and I found one of my monogrammed towels missing..take a look,,its easy to identify,,it says "HOLIDAY INN" on the towel
,,,thats how I got it..Oh never mind,you can keep it,I have others from Howard Johnson and Ramada Inn. I'm NOT A CROOK, I have a thing for towels

Great having you here buddy and the best of health to you and Sally and get that Fender going.:

All of you guys that posted here are welcome anytime,,can you just imagine the fun we could have?? and bring your wives.

We accept Visa,Mastercard,and all major credit cards .

Thanks for coming Joey,it was our pleasure to have you. BTW my pup coco didnt like you he thought you were going to eat all the meatballs. Good luck and dont forget where we live.

Jody
Joey Ace

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 1:38 pm    

Thanks everyone for the kind words, especially to the Carvers.

It's below zero here today.

It's nice to go away, but it's even better to be home.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 1:43 pm    

Its 78 degrees here and sunny. Come back.

Did you know that Dave Van Allen can eat more
than Ron Lashley?.Man imagine them being here? Oh boy.
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2003 8:14 pm    

We had a cold day here in Surprise also. Didn't quite make it to 75.

Joey...I had a 1937 J-45 that had been my brothers that he had bought new. He bought a new arch top in 1942 and Momma bought the 45 for me. They were going to allow him $50.00 for it on trade so that's what she paid him for it. His new one was to be $125.00 and the D-45...but when he went in with $175.00 he wouldn't take it. He wanted $200.00 straight out. He called Momma and told her what happened and she said tell him to forget it and we would go to Des Moines and get one for $150.00. He was mad but took the $175.00.

In 1942 I was ten years old and already singing and playing at the Sat night band concerts in city park and that D-45 didn't need no mic. What a guitar. I now know what they mean when they say don't follow a kid or a dog act. I was bad but I think out of kindness they make a kid feel good.

I'll always wish I still had it and my 1954 Strat.

Bob

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2003 10:49 am    

And now yet another way for me n Dave to get confused...

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com

Joey Ace

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 9:37 am    

Back in February, I wrote,
Quote:
"I'll have photos up on my web site in a few days. I'll post here when they're up."

I finally posted the Photo Essay this instrument deserves.

I've edited the first post to link to these photos.

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 21 April 2003 at 05:05 AM.]

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2003 8:23 am    

Joey that is a beautiful guitar! The only thing missing on this guitar is the signature of Jody Carver! www.genejones.com
Joey Ace

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2003 9:20 am    

Nice thought, Gene, but not even Miestro Carver is allowed to scratch his initials in this beauty.

I did ask him to sign my Seat.

Actually, my GFI Pac-a-Seat Backrest.
I have quite a collection there of guys "backing me up".