| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame
Warren Cohran

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 6:14 am    

what players do you think will be in the hall of fame within the next 5 years? Very Happy
Ron !

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 6:37 am    

To be honest with you........I think that ALL players that try their best to become a good player should be in there.
Players that make a lot of difference by writing lessons, tablature etc should be in there.I can go on and on.

Ron
Warren Cohran

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 6:40 am     great

Ron I think thats a very good answer. Do you have any players in mind that you think will or should be there?
Ron !

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 6:53 am    

Take a look on the forum and you will find names like,

Don Sulesky
Randall Curry
Mike Headrick
Me..Laughing
Erv Niehaus
Carl Dixon
Ed Packard
Mike Archer
Brett Day
and many many many many more.It is just to hard to make a choice IMO.I think that not only performance should be a big factor whether a musician can or cannot get it but the difference that player makes in all facets towards the steel guitar community should be a very huge factor to.
Even if he/she never been on stage.

Ron
Warren Cohran

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 7:11 am    

Ron very nice list. I got to meet Mike Archer in St louis. He is a very talented player steel and tele and a very nice person . And I also get to hear Brett Day when he comes to atlanta steel show . He and Tommy Dodd really play well together . AND TOMMY PLAYS PRETTY WELL BY HIMSELF. Brett is a real inspiration and his knowledge about other players is amazing .
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 7:13 am    

BJ Cole, Sonny Garrish.

Finland
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 7:18 am    

I don't know the players that well, but if there ever will be a "Hall of Shame" I will be among the first ones

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 8:09 am    

Notice that you guys think only players deserve to be in the SGHOF. Why is that?
Ron !

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 8:23 am    

No John....I said people that had and still have a lot to do with the steel guitar and it's development.
Builders included. John

Ron
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 8:24 am    

Ron Steenwijk wrote:
To be honest with you........I think that ALL players that try their best to become a good player should be in there.
Players that make a lot of difference by writing lessons, tablature etc should be in there.I can go on and on.

Ron

There is a reason why only certain players should make it into whatever a HOF is. If you start inducting ALL sorts of people in there then you diminsh the accomplishments of the very few who are truly great players......PLAYERS....that is the bench mark for a HOF.

If you wanted to have a Hall of Nice Guys, Hall of Steel Teachers, Hall of Lesson Givers.....not really necessary even though all those folks do have some merit.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 8:47 am    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
If you start inducting ALL sorts of people in there then you diminsh the accomplishments of the very few who are truly great players......PLAYERS....that is the bench mark for a HOF.

Giving that some thought. By your definition, Tom Bradshaw should not have been inducted. Still, he was one of the most influential steel guitar people in the world for several decades. Many of us would not have learned how to play, the history of the instrument, etc. were it not for his efforts.

Considering John Fabian's post above, I think that Bud Carter and Gene Fields are both SGHOF possibilities. They are mostly known for their design innovations, but both are also master players.

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 8:48 am    

I have always felt there should be a builders section of the HOF..Certainly they have contributed the means for those that have reached the heights and continue to better the instrument for the future...Many continue to survive in an industry that does not mass produce its product and cost more to deliver...The mere fact they can stay in business while taking months and maybe even years to deliver a custom product, that is truly amazing...So to answer John Fabians question I feel there are those that should enter enshrinement along with players..But that may be a double standard as most good builders are also good players...
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 9:14 am    

b0b wrote:
Bill Hatcher wrote:
If you start inducting ALL sorts of people in there then you diminsh the accomplishments of the very few who are truly great players......PLAYERS....that is the bench mark for a HOF.

Giving that some thought. By your definition, Tom Bradshaw should not have been inducted. Still, he was one of the most influential steel guitar people in the world for several decades. Many of us would not have learned how to play, the history of the instrument, etc. were it not for his efforts.

Considering John Fabian's post above, I think that Bud Carter and Gene Fields are both SGHOF possibilities. They are mostly known for their design innovations, but both are also master players.

The SGHOF is set up differently than other HOFs.

Look at the Baseball HOF. There 5 different sections. Players, managers, unpires, execs, negro league players.....none of them overlap. There remains only ONE section for the players. They players make it possible to even have the game which makes it possible to have a HOF. The players are paramount. You can have teachers, you can have construction workers to build stadiums, you can have moms to give birth to the babies that become players...no players no game. The support staff does not belong in the players section of the HOF, unless they get 3000 hits and win 300 games.

I don't care who is in the SGHOF anyway. We have been through that plenty of times here on the forum.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 9:42 am    

John Fabian wrote:
Notice that you guys think only players deserve to be in the SGHOF. Why is that?

I don't think that at all. I personally feel that Jay Harlin should have been one of the very first inducted!

Anyhow, I* think builders are represented...

HAROLD "SHOT" JACKSON

DESIGNER, MANUFACTURER, RETAILER, PROMOTER AND RECORDING ENTERTAINER. HE PIONEERED SHO BUD GUITARS AS A DOMINANT SOUND IN COUNTRY MUSIC. BUT ABOVE ALL, TO SCORES OF STRUGGLING PLAYERS, THEIR COURAGE AND THEIR DETERMINATION TO ACHIEVE THEIR VERY BEST AND THEY DID!

BORN: SEPTEMBER 4, 1920 WILMINGTON, NORTH CAROLINA
DIED JANUARY 24,1991
INDUCTED; 1986
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 11:53 am     Re: Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame

Warren Cohran wrote:
what players do you think will be in the hall of fame within the next 5 years? Very Happy

Robert Seymour!!!

I ditto Bobby Lee's view of Sonny Garrish.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 12:09 pm    

i'm with peter on this one. it might be easier to list those who 'shouldn't' be in the hall of fame.
here's my list so far:

1. me
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 12:22 pm    

How about the steel guitarist's guitar player, Bobby Caldwell?
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 12:30 pm    

Quote:
How about the steel guitarist's guitar player, Bobby Caldwell?

Or Roy Rosetta?
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 12:52 pm    

Here are some that I think should be inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame because of their contributions to the steel guitar and the steel guitar world:

1) b0b the originator of this thing we call "The Steel Guitar Forum."

2) Rob Parker for his service all over the USA, the years of singing, playing, MC work, etc.

3) Keith Hilton for steel guitar publications, inventions including the Hilton volume pedal, playing and writing music.

4) Sonny Garrish for the thousands of recording sessions he's played on. His song writing and great playing.

5) along with Bobby Caldwell, Bobbe Seymour and Russ Hicks for certain too!

There are others that are deserving as well. It is a long drawn out process and for some it takes years to get inducted. But one thing is for certain, those in it, sure deserve to be there! I was there and youngster the first year they inducted the first three players: Jerry Byrd, Alvino Rey and Leon McAuliffe. It just gets better as time goes on.

I hope they have a building to one day house all the plaques, the steel guitars and memorabilia stuff that should and can be put it that too.

In the past, several people have told me that they were going to donate steel guitars for displaying for a Steel Guitar Hall of Fame building. Two of those HOF Members were Speedy West and Zane Beck.

Does anyone ever hear or know anything else about such a building?

Terry Wood

Last edited by Terry Wood on 24 Sep 2008 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 1:28 pm    

There's a lot of competition in the Hall of Fame business so we have to be careful who we select to the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.
The International Checker Hall of Fame has been kickin our butts for years.
For the past 30 years The International Checker Hall of Fame reigned as one of America's greatest anachronisms. For such a humble game -- "The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men" -- its Hall was flamboyant and flaunting: a 32,000-square-foot Moorish/Tudor edifice, with a seven-story tower, a colonnaded tournament room with 24-foot-high ceilings and the world's two largest checkerboards, a library with checkers books dating back to the 17th century, priceless checkers artifacts scattered throughout, and even a statue, costing more than $10,000, of grand champion Marion Tinsley, who lost only 7 games in 45 years.
Built in obscure Petal, Mississippi, it was also the largest house in Forest County and the mansion of its founder, the wheeler-dealer pompadoured millionaire Charles Clendell Walker, best known for his 1994 Guinness World Record of playing 306 checkers games simultaneously and losing only one.
Of course the rest of the story turns out bad and they are no competition now but we still have to watch out for the Hurling Hall of Fame which is coming back up. You just can't keep it down.
Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 2:03 pm    

Who exactly determines who gets elected into the HOF? and what is the process to get to the short list?
Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 2:21 pm    

Larry Sasser
Don E. Curtis
Bobby Caldwell
Bobbe Seymour
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 4:33 pm    

Jeff Hyman wrote:
Who exactly determines who gets elected into the HOF? and what is the process to get to the short list?

http://scottysmusic.com/abouthof.htm

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 4:51 pm     Future Hall Of Famers

If you want a list it is next to impossible to name all. Some that I would like to see would be:
Leo Fender
Paul Bigsby
Sonny Garrish
Sonny Burnett
Bobby Caldwell
Ron Lashley
Vance Terry
Herb Steiner
Johnny Cox
Bud Carter
Joe Wright
Russ Hicks