| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do you polish a Ricky B6?
Steven Cearley

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 7:28 am    

I have a Rickenbacher B6 that is dull and dusty. What do you use to polish or brighten it back up? I thought about lemon pledge but thought that would probably not be a good idea. A friend of mine has a wax product he uses on fiberglass boats that he will give me. I don't have any professional equipment such as buffing wheels etc so what does a non professional use to polish bakelite that won't ruin the guitar? Thanks, STEVE
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 10:50 am    

The Lemon Pledge is OK in lite doses, but spray it on the rag first, then apply.

There's been good discussion before about buffing out a Bakelite.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 10:59 am    

Just as Ron mentioned, I also use Lemon PLEDGE...works fine. Smile
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 11:24 am    

I just had a nightmare vision of using Armor-All (awful, slippery, silicony stuff!) on it and having that panda go slip-sliding off of my lap and shattering into little bakelite pieces. Gaaa.

Last edited by Jon Light on 17 Sep 2008 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 11:52 am    

I like Beard Resolution guitar polish.

BTW, Lemon Pledge also contains silicone:

Steven Cearley

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 5:37 pm    

Thanks for the input. I also received an email from a member and he directed me to an older post from the forum on this topic, back in 2004. Here is the link: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/005551.html

Last edited by Steven Cearley on 18 Sep 2008 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 6:31 pm     Just in case....................

Hopefully, it will NEVER HAPPEN but, just in case
you should drop it and shatter it into many large pieces, be certain to scoop them up and place them in a zip lock bag (like evidence on CSI) and then mail them to me. I'll see what I can do for 'us'.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 7:25 am     Slippery, sliding Rickenbachers......................

I have trouble keeping the Rick on my lap as my legs are so short.......and when it's slippery too, it's a nightmare.

My little wife went to the kitchen and got some of that Rubbermaid shelf liner.....and cut out two little round thingies, measuring about 4 inches in diameter. Place them on the top of each leg and I can assure you, the steel WILL NOT SLIDE OFF!
Steven Cearley

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2008 2:12 pm    

Very Happy I had the metal plates off to have them refinished anyway. I used some boat wax a friend gave me, wiped it on lightly and then wiped it off, didn't get to buff it out with a wheel. The plate side of the bakelite is mostly covered with the plates so it doesn't show much of the shine. I'll get some pics up later. Still don't know what to do about the dullness of the fretboard. Thought about painting the double white lines white again but, as Ray Montee states, might make it hard to see without seeing double. I like his idea about the Rubber Maid shelf liners which I will use once my homemade stand is finished. STEVE
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2008 5:37 pm    

The first seven-string I had was in rough shape, with what looked like "pimples" on most of the body, and parts of the neck. I started with 220 grit sand paper and worked thru many finer grits to 2000 grit, then buffed it on a big buffer. (2 1/2 wide by 14 inch wheel) It came out fine, but caution is needed when using a buffing wheel. The surface can be sort of burned or overheated if pushed hard, and the buffer can pull it out of you hands if not careful. I haven't used any wax etc on it.