| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another newby
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 12:11 pm    

Hello everyone. I am just starting to try to learn psg. I played non-pedal many years ago and took it up again at the beginning of the year. I have a great teacher who primarily teaches psg but got me back up so speed on my S8 console non-pedal. Well then I got the bug to try psg. I purchased a Jackson Blackjack and will start taking psg lessons from my teacher next week. I am hoping my non-pedal playing will help some with the psg. I am pretty well ok with pick and palm blocking now and learned the family of chords and other basics and have spent at least one hour playing every day so my hands now remember what they used to know. What concerns me about the psg is the pedals and knees. I feel like I will have to be a spider with 8 legs to play the thing. However, I am committed now and will devote the same time and effort to the psg as I did with the non-pedal. I am really glad to have found this area on the forum since all of you have experienced the frustrations before me and may can help me along.
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 12:14 pm     oops

oops! I was trying to post this in the thread for beginning psg players not as a new topic.
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 2:19 pm    

Jim, it sounds to me like you have a lot of the basic, and maybe the more difficult part down already. I'm new at this as well, and I wish I already had the things covered that you mention. Adding in the pedals and knee levers should be somewhat easy compared to the othe stuff you've learned. And, you should know that you will likely only ever use at most 2 adjacent pedals at once, and then possibly adding to those one of the knee levers. Even if you might add two knee levers to that, they won't be on the same leg at once. I wish I had your problem! You're way ahead of me.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 2:24 pm     psg

Thanks Chuck. I hope you are right about already knowing the hard stuff. I have my non-pedals tuned to C6 so must learn another tuning for the psg but I didn't find that to be the hard part of non-pedal. To me the hardiest part was blocking. I tried all kinds of exercises then just pretty much forgot about it. One day not too long ago I looked at my right hand blocking away without me even thinking about it. The human brain is amazing.
Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2008 4:30 am    

Howdy Jim...welcome to the forum. Good to see another Alabama boy on here. Smile

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2008 5:45 am     Alabama

I live in Hueytown Bryan so we are almost neighbors
Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2008 7:36 am    

No kidding? I am going to auction some property on Johns Road next Thursday.

On another note...if nobody has let you know yet, we have a steel guitar club in Gardendale called the Jugtown Steel Guitar Club. (Gardendale used to be called Jugtown many years ago)

We have a meeting and jam every 2nd Sunday of the month at the Masonic Lodge on Hwy 31 in Gardendale. We'd love to have you join us this Sunday. It's from about 1:30 to 5pm

If you'd like to join us, shoot me a line and I'll give you directions.

Blessings,
BigB

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2008 12:27 pm     Alabama

Johns Road is very close to where I live. It's a small world. I want be able to make it this Sunday but thanks for the invitation. I will stay in touch and go to a futre session. I hate to ask this but are you an Alabama or Auburn fan?