| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pierce steel guitars?
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2008 5:29 pm    

Does any one know if there was a steel called a Pierce? Coming back from a tour in Germany back in the 60s the airline ruined my steel.I bought a basket case here in Ft,Worth some one hand taken apart and coulden't get it back together.I got it going and it played fine.Later got a new ZB and after that a MSA after i went to work for Reece at the old MSA factory.
Trying to remember if it was a Pierce.
Thanks to any one in advance if they recall a steel by this name.
Tracy
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2008 7:08 pm    

A few years ago there was a thread on the old Forum about somebody who had bought or was thinking about buying an old Pierce beater. I think it was from a music store of that name. Seems like it might have been in North Florida. Or Michigan. Okay, don't see how those places are related, but that's what my Swiss cheese of a memory is coming up with. Confused
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 4:04 pm    

My first steel was a "Pierce" S-8. In 1972, I was given, just, the cabinet of a Pierce. It had a red wrap around steel frame and natural color maple top and neck. The fretboard was black with white frets and bass cleffs for position markers. It also had a white, single coil pickup with 8 individual poles. The pickup was really weak. I had to make the rest of it. I got 4 cardtable legs and made the pedal rack and 4 pedals from 3/4" plywood, which, I painted black. I attached the pedals to the rack with 1" brass hinges. I also used coat hangers for the pedal rods. I really didn't know how to tune it, so, I tuned it to an "E" chord and made 2 pedals pull it to an "A" chord. That's about as far as I went with it. It never played really well, but, enough to make discernable sounds. I played it for about 2 years and then got a Maverick. I left it at my ex's house and she threw it out. No real loss, just an an early part of my steel history gone. It was an experience.
Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 5:55 pm    

My first Steel was a Pierce S-10 I don't remember if it had 2 or 3 pedals,it had no knee levers.I can't say if it was a bad or good Guitar but it was very primitive underneith compared to todays Guitars.
Don
Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 5:59 pm    

I forgot to say this was 1967 or 68 because in 1969 I bought a Sho-Bud.
Don
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 6:56 pm    

Of all the odd things to see on this forum...I have a fretboard with the treble-clef markers that I got from a guy in my home town. He mentioned the Pierce guitars a couple of years back, I believe that he had some part in building some of the parts for them. His name is Ray Krick, he was building steels when they were first introduced. He is from the Muncie, indiana area and played on some radio programs, way back, even before pedals came along. He's still a good player, and has built every PSG that he's ever played (many). When I say build, I mean, sand-cast the end plates, pedals and neck, machine the changer parts and bellcranks, wind the pickup and build the cabinet. Heck he even makes the legs from Atlas microphone stands! He's wild, man!

Anyone know of Ray Krick, or his part in Pierce Steels?
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2008 1:29 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=106676&highlight=pierce