Author Topic:  Strange Wright Custom, ebay
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 2:10 pm    

http://tinyurl.com/6xc3oh
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 2:20 pm    

Not really strange. The "Brad's Rack" or "Z Rack" was an accessory mount that gave the heavy steel more solid support (largely due to the cross-braces in front, which I don't see on this one). The steel looks to be a "newer" Wright Custom than we usually see, probably of late '60s or early '70s vintage.

The rack was probably too heavy, bulky, and clumsy for most players, and never really caught on.

I'm sure others will offer some other info.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 2:23 pm    

Donny, I figured it had to be a latter model one. And,,, strange or not,,, it's pretty cool. I'd never seen a rack like that before. Sort of looks like Jurassic age keyboard stand!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 5:38 pm    

One of the old "Steel Guitarist" magazines that Tom Bradshaw published has a nice article on the Brad's Rack with photos of several styles of it. If you can find a copy of that article check it out.....JH in Va.

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 5:41 am    

Jerry,
Here are the photos from that article.Center picture looks like the one on ebay..Bill

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 6:13 am    

Hey Bill,
Just a little more info on that pic, it was taken in Dewey Grooms Longhorn Ballroom...then the largest club in Texas. Wow..does that bring back memories!!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 8:05 am    

Junior,
On some of the early Seirra guitars had what looked like a "W" on the front. Was Chuck Wright involved in Seirra, and was that the reason for the W? Also what mfg. is the one on the bottom photo?

Interesting place, this forum...Bill
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 10:01 am    

I was alerted to this eBay listing. This was about the 5th guitar that Chuck Wright built that included the Brads-Rack that I designed (maybe 10 total were every built, although a few were included on some MSA guitars). I'd guess that this S-12 was built in about 1970. Chuck was a master craftsman and this guitar should last a player a lifetime. I happen to own one nearly like it. So even though I'd love to have it, I have one to play if I had the time. It is my intention to modernize the pulling system on the one I own, but not change its basic integrity by doing anything that would alter its appearance.

The eBay guitar looks like one that would be right for a fellow who was not over 5'7". Chuck had to provide a spacer (between the top of the 'Rack' and the guitar's cabinet) on several of these, so a taller person could get under the guitar.

I notice in the eBay pictures that all the necessary hardware is available for hooking up all the pedals. Too bad someone cut off a couple of the ends of the pedal faces. The criss-cross stabilizer rods are even included with all the parts.

This would be a great "conversation-piece" guitar for someone who had a music room and wanted a "monster" steel to show off. Probably with a little adjusting, the guitar would play just fine.

...Tom
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 11:01 am    

Bill..I can't say for sure..but I think so.David Wright could tell you for sure!!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 5:19 pm    

Bill Ford,
My Dad started Sierra many years ago...and sold it
Where did you get the pic of the MSA on the Brads rack??/ that was my very first Steel Guitar, My Dad and I both were working at MSA , it's the only MSA ever put on a Brads Rack...
Funny, Jackson ca, was a hour from me when I was in Ca...

Hi Jr..how things!!! where you playing right now...
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 7:48 pm    

Dad! What are you doing in Texas and why haven't you called? I moved to Alabama so I guess we're even. 334-805-0760.

JW

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 4:46 am    

David,
Those pics are on page 68, in issue #6&7 in Steel Guitarist magazine. Here is that pic with the caption, it gives Leroy Tarply as owner, also the plate on the front has Leroy's name on it. What was the significance of the "W" on the front of some of the Sierra guitars?
BIll

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 5:12 am    

Quote:
I can have my rig set up, and be playing, before another player can have three legs screwed in.

Now that's funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 9:09 pm    

I met Chuck at the Dallas show when the picture of him was taken. We walked over to Curly Chalker and Chuck prevailed on him to sit behind Vance's guitar in hopes of getting him to start playing a Sierra. Maybe Vance's double-tiered guitar was a bit much for Curly to comprehend. His little comment didn't commit him to switching from ShoBud at the time. That picture sure brings back fond memories of Chuck in his prime.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 9:33 pm    

I forgot to mention that I took delivery of my Brads-rack model in '67. Chuck had the rack chromed and it was a very smart looking piece of machinery. The rack sure made the steel stay put where you put it, no flex or dancing around the floor. You first set up the rack and then set the steel on top and you were good to go. The rack had it's own case from the steel body's case. If you could carry both pieces at the same time, Ole Katrina couldn't blow you away, haha.