| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Roy Ayers................
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 1:40 pm    

Hello Roy, I left Scotty's Convention and went by Nashville for a couple of days. While there I went by the the Country Music Hall of Fame. I'd been there before but had never taken the time to read all the plaques until now.........

I know that you worked with Pee Wee King and would probably know the scoop. I don't mean to take anything away from Pee Wee, but his plaque stated that he was a songwriter and "SINGER" of tunes like "Slow Poke", "Tennessee Waltz", and others. Wasn't that Red Stewart on those recordings. I think I also always see Red's name as co-writer on most of the songs!

I think Red's probably a very large reason why Pee Wee's in the HOF or am I being unreasonable? One of my favorite recordings was "Backward Turn Backward Oh Time in your Flight" on which Red totally sang his butt off IMHO. I think he should share the honors with Pee Wee if any one should. I've always thought he should've gotten more of the spotlight than he did as I believe the PWK records would've never been the same without his wonderful voice!

I know Pee Wee was a band leader in the vein of Bob Wills and such but I always thought Red should have had equal billing, I'm probably wrong but I don't think so, Thanks!..............JH in Va.