| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Reed, R.I.P.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 3:35 pm    

Jerry Reed died today. It was just announced on the news.
Bob Ritter

pacfic, wa
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:49 pm    

oh man what a player. I am saddended to hear this...God love Jerry and his family
Richard Sevigny

Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 6:53 pm    

Here's the news on CMT and Associated Press

I remember being blown away by Amos Moses. It's on rotation on my MP3 player...

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

-Albert Einstein
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 8:35 pm    

He was a truly inspired guitar player. RIP.

Neither the CMT nor the AP story mentions that he did three albums with Chet: Sneakin' Around, Me and Jerry--both of which they both mentioned--and also Me and Chet.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 8:43 pm    

heaven bound 'n down..
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 9:38 pm    

He played the most syncopated,sophisticated,funky fingerstyle country blues guitar I ever heard. Very musical - very lyrical and composed some great tunes like "The Claw" and "Bluefinger" among others. I would put him up there with Chet,Lenny Breau and Ted Greene in many respects. He certainly laid a lot of ground work for the likes of Tommy Emmanuelle,Buster B. Jones,Doyle Dykes,the late Marcel Dadi among others and was emulated by Ted,Chet and Lenny themselves as well as half of Nashville. Every fingerstyle picker I ever knew copped some Jerry Reed licks - if they could.....

Too bad 90% of the public thinks he was just a wise-cracking redneck character actor in 70s B movies that sang a couple truck driving and novelty songs.

From the liner notes of "Heavy Neckin"

"Some of my happiest moments have been spent learning a new Jerry Reed Tune. His compositions are so well thought out technically and are so musically appealing. These are little gems of musical perfection and I believe(in spite of his awesome talent in other areas)that Jerry will best be remembered for his composing efforts - Chet Atkins"

I think I'll drag out my flat top this evening, crack a couple cold ones and have another go at "Reedology".
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 1:16 am    

Sad news indeed. We lose all those legendary musicians way too fast...

Kind Regards, Walter

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 5:11 am    

New York Times 9/3/2008 Obituary for Jerry Reed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/arts/music/03reed.html?_r=1&ref=music&oref=slogin
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 6:17 am    

RIP Jerry. I'm listening to Johnny Bush's 1967 album, "The Sound of a Heartache" at this moment. Most people don't know that Jerry played the guitar/lead guitar on this record ~ Although Jimmy Day did most of the lead work with the Pedal Steel, Jerry's parts on guitar were very elegant and fit the album perfectly.

Respectfully,
david burr
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 10:06 am    

I think it's kind of ironic that Jerry is widely recognized for his unique fingerstyle ability, yet one of the most memorable things I can think of was the ultra cool intro he came up with for Bobby Bare's version of "Detroit City". IMHO, that song simply would NOT have been the same without that intro. Most people use the tuner to emulate that moving bass line, but I think I read an interview with Jerry indicating he didn't do it that way. Anyway, I think this is a good example that Jerry wasn't "just" a world class fingerstylist and it also highlights how creative he was.

NOTE:
Before I submitted this post, I tried to google information about what I had just typed to make sure I had my facts straight and I can't seem to find any references to it... I'm surely not dreaming this am I?!?!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 10:40 am    

Quote from (Bobby) Bare from the Toledo Free Press (TFP) web site. Maybe Jerry played it accoustically on the Billy Grammar version first?

TFP: Who came up with that twangy guitar intro for “Detroit City?

Bare: That came from the demo of that record. Billy Grammar recorded it, and that riff was on acoustic guitar. I heard that on the radio driving down Sunset Boulevard, and I thought, “That's the greatest song I've ever heard in my whole life.” I stopped the car to listen to it, and as soon as I got back to Nashville, I recorded it. Boots Randolph and Charlie McCoy played that intro on electric guitars.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 12:02 pm    

Thanks for the info Greg. I just looked at the AMG website and it lists Jerry with guitar credits on the album with "Detroit City". Maybe someone with more info will chime in. I'm sure I had read that somewhere before... However, just because I read it, doesn't necessarily make it so. Embarassed

RIP Jerry.

respectfully,
david burr