| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The SOUND in Dallas
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 10:24 am    

First of all, being one of the more outspoken critics of the sound quality at steel shows, I must say that this was the best sound experience I've ever had at any steel show. With Danny at the helm and Jackie running the stage, they had the whole thing under control. The montors were good, the average volume was perfect for an all-day festival. I'll tell ya, these types of shows where the artists continually rotate across the stage can be the most troublesome shows of all. These guys had the perfect temperment and ears and expertise to keep everyone happy. Louie, dont lose these guys!!! After all, a show is only as good as it sounds.

Brad Sarno
Blue Jade Audio Mastering
St. Louis, MO

'66 Emmons, '69 Emmons, '69 Twin, '75 Session 400
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 12:54 pm    

I totally agree with you. I always said that it takes a good musician to do good sound. They are a lot more important than us pickers. Thanks again Jackie & Danny . A great job!!!!
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 2:28 pm    

I posted concerning this in another thread, so I'll add to this one also. I agree the sound was much better than most years I've been there. It seemed to me that the lead guitar was never quite loud enough on breaks, no matter who was playing. The fiddle was too loud at times. Maybe the sound man was a fiddler that don't care for lead guitar players. LOL. The steel player always sounded about right, volume wise. I'm a sound engineer / technician here at our Church, so I notice these things.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 4:09 pm    

I think that the sound was WAY better than what we've heard in the recent years although it seemed to me that there was a bit of compression on the steels as the characteristic "pop" on the attack was apparent in players that would not normally have that. All in all it was a heck of an improvement!
Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 7:00 pm    

I agree with Jim. The sound was 100 % improvement over past years. The TSGA did a very good job setting the show up and My wife and I was totally impressed with the whole weekend. It was a wonderful experience to see and hear all the great players, each and every one that did the show. I will definatly be back!
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2003 3:54 am    

I agree the sound was great!! The first thing I told my wife when we walked in the ballroom was "It sounds like they got some good sound men this year". I hope they keep these guys for years to come!!
Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2003 4:36 am    

I sat on the front row most of the time and was never more pleased with the sound. Even just walking into the ballroom, I could tell that everything was under control.

Great job sound crew. Please come back next year.

------------------
Charles Tilley

Bullard, Texas

Emmons D10 LeGrande II, TubeFex,Nashville 400

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2003 9:03 am    

I want to also say a big thanks to Danny and Jackie, my friends and home town sound people for the hard work at the show.

There was no doubt in my mind about hiring these guys, as they do every important sound job in our North Texas area including at both colleges, fairs and for every big name act that comes through the area without their own sound people.

Although I will not be involved with the show production next year, I feel the type of input all you guys are giving us on this topic, whether positive or negative is important to making things even better next year.

These guys are Pros and will take your feedback in a positive manner.

Maybe they took my constant reminder that this was a steel show and I did not want anything else blowing the steel player away when he was doing solo work. We certainly need all the side people, so be assured there was no intent to not feature them or to have them down in the mix,especially when they were taking rides or fills.
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2003 8:40 pm    

Thanks Danny and Jackie for your hard work and long hours! You really made the sound at the convention sound great.

PS...Louie, you and your team really worked sooooo hard to make this year a super success. I hope you can get away for the vacation now...great leadership Louie!
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2003 9:03 pm    

Besides the great job the guys did on the sound I want to thank Jackie for his vocals on "Nightlife". I always love playing that one behind him. In fact somewhere in my foggy remembrance I think he got us a standing "O" and boy do I ever appreciate that!!! Thanks Jackie, can't wait 'til next time we get to play that one.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 12 March 2003 at 09:04 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 12 March 2003 at 09:05 PM.]

William Steward

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 9:16 am    

I developed even more respect for the sound man when he got off the stage, picked up a bass and belted out a few vocal numbers. That explains some obvious sensitivity on the faders.