| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Advice-Rack Cases
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 5:16 am    

I am going to rack-mounted effects units. I've seen many of you play with a moulded case set vertically on the floor next to you where adjustments can be made easily and discretely...

Can someone recommend the best case for this purpose?

How do cables exit under the case so it can rest flat on the floor?

Thanks

Cortez, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 6:42 am    

I have been using a 2 space rack case that Gator makes that looks and works like a shoulder bag. It is covered with nylon, has a shoulder strap and a big honking pocket on the front for cord storage. Both the front and back ends zip open and shut so you can run the cords etc right out the back if you want to. I always just lean it against my amp stand or amp. However, I am using a foot controller for the effects unit, so the rack doesn't have to be within reach (I play guitar). Depending on which effects unit you are using - tube, solid state etc - make sure you have room for air circulation so the unit can cool properly.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 7:59 am    

If you want a vertical rack case, the guy to get ahold of is FRED JUSTICE.
www.fredjusticemusic.com
He will whip up anything your little ol' heart desires.
He has made quite a few cases for me, everything from 2 space rack up to 6 space.
Erv
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 9:07 am    

I have a Gator molded rack case which has rack rails on the back too. I put a long screw in each corner, fastened with a bolt. They act like mini-legs and provide about 10 mm clearance for leads and ventillation.
Dan Galysh

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 9:54 am    

I have a four space Road Ready rack case which has served me well. It is modified with two XLR outputs and two 1/4" outputs on the side of the case for ease of hookup.
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 11:38 am     helpful

Greg Cutshaw has an informative site with his set up that includes different options and where to buy parts. The site was very helpful to me>

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 12:03 pm    

I've built several rack cases, for my own use, and also modified some Anvil style cases. I don't like the "carpet" covered cases as that tends to act like a blanket and hold in heat (which is the enemy of electronic equipment).

I also set mine up with input/output jacks as many rack units only have a "rear" input jack. I wire mine so that I have the input jack(s) on the "outside" of the case and the same way with the speaker output jacks. I also wire in a "computer" type AC power jack on the rear of the case so I can use a computer type plug in power cord. I also mount a (good quality) surge protector power strip on the inside of the lid (that is connected to mentioned computer type power jack) to plug in all the rack components.

The last several that I've modified, I've cut 6 inch round "air" circulation holes on each side and covered them with a 6" speaker baffle. You need to allow for ADEQUATE air flow, especially if you have a rack power amp.
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 2:25 pm    

Mr. Stoner and others-thank you for the detailed replies. Mr. Stoner's solution in particular sounds well thought out. Actually, except for the carpet it sounds similar to the unit Fred Justice makes. He says he will wire them however I wish- maybe I can get him to put something else on the outside...or redo it myself. (I've got a great pack-a-seat by taking an uncomfortable one to my local interior shop that specializes in hyper luxury and exotic sports cars to be re-upholstered!)

Anyway- thanks for taking the time...

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 4:14 pm    

Bob another vote for Fred's rack cases, I have one of his 4 space jobs and it is excellent - he will wire it up anyway you want, along with the external computer power cable as Jack mentioned.

I also have a great Bob Dell race case, but I don't think he is doing cases anymore unfortunately - I also have one of his wheeled roadcases for my Zums !
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 6:26 pm    

They're pretty easy to modify if you have a drill and a soldering gun. I took a Musicians Friend anvil style rack (4 space - $80) and made a case for my rack synthesizers (2 of them). An additional $100 max for Tripp-Lite rack mount power strip with 6 outlets on back and 6 on front, jacks, din jacks for MIDI. 1 space blank rack panel, computer type AC plug, and pre-made cords that I just chopped one plug off and wired to the jacks and plug the other ends to the synths. Under $200 and it works great. The synths don't generate any heat so I don't even have to remove the back cover. All the jacks are mounted on one side below the handle where they clear the rack units inside (the synths are pretty deep).
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2008 5:00 am    

You guys are more ambitious than I am at electronic mods...my achievement of the week was to color code the tuners for a few pedals and levers on my Zumsteels so I can find them in a hurry with a wrench! I am still basically afraid to look underneath my pedal steels...just adjusting a pedal height makes me have to sit still for a while and then play lap steel for a few days!

Oh, and check out this solution for replacement knobs on a double neck lap steel when they were getting in the way of my right hand....they're vinyl and can be manipulated with the side of a finger if necessary for effects....

I do believe I know what I want now from all the helpful comments.