| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Have You Ever Done a Gig With Go-Go Girls?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2008 9:30 pm    

Well I did last night at the Continental Club in Austin.
We've been doing this lately when we play there. They get up and shimmy-shake at the first and at the end of our shows.
It's a trip to walk in and see this.

When you go to Wiki and type in "sh*t-eatin' grin", this is what comes up.

Concentrate. Keep your head down.

Sweet Basil McJagger
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2008 10:06 pm    

YES....different girls... same grin
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 12:50 am    

Yes!
And I've played in a West Riding Club where the organiser asked us,
"We've only got the one dressing room. You don't mind sharing with the strippers?"
It was not a problem- they were nice girls.
Cheers
Dave
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 1:02 am    

We shared the same dressing room, when I did the Honky Tonk Angels show, and the guys made sure to not look too many times in their direction. Ha ha , we didn't have to, there were mirrors all over.

I've backed up a belly dancer one time at a club. That was a little unusual. Our booking agent had us back up a guy that did mostly Sinatra type of music once, and that was a tough gig, for sure. Larry
Ron Wright

Modesto,CA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 1:52 am    

we had one tonight (uninvited) ..i'm sure she is going to be a hurting unit tomorrow ..she had a hard time standing up lol
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 2:38 am    

When I was doing a lot of catering in Miami I regularly rented the kitchen of a former restaurant that had been converted over into an all-night, topless & bottomless strip joint. It's mighty weird staying up all night cooking a breakfast for a thousand churchgoers, surrounded by naked women... hongry naked women... some stories are best left untold. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 7:42 am    

One time many moons ago we were hired by a new club for its grand opening...It was a converted Fire station called the "5th Alarm"..Too make a long story short it was a 4foot high stage in the middle of the club and the "Slide" pole the Fireman used was in the middle of the stage....Fun night...It was a strip joint and the Girls worked between the sets...The pay was good but it was a one nighter and in those days just starting out with a new band,monday nights were a bonus.. However the drummer almost broke his neck....Seems like he forgot there was a 4 foot drop in back of him and fell stool and all... Shocked He weighed in about 320 so it was a happening.. EmbarassedI'm told the place is a resturant now..
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 8:05 am    

Go-Go girls. Not strippers.
Go-Go girls are more like stage ornaments. Bookends.
I would say they have more class than strippers.
Just a little Smile
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 8:42 am    

In NYC there is a pretty big performance art burlesque scene. Those gigs are usually quite a bit of fun. Go Go girls showing up is always a bonus. Makes those long "music by the pound" bar gigs fly right on by.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 8:58 am    

The fire eaters make you very aware of exactly where the emergency exits are located.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 10:47 am    

In my "formative years", I played a local club called "Charlotte's Fiesta", on Rt. 40 east, outside of Baltimore. It was a go-go bar by day, and a strip club/cat house by night. It was the only bar I've ever been in that had no food! Zip, zero, nada...not even pretzles or potato chips. In the owner's own words "We gots booze and broads. If you want food - go to a restaurant!". Actually, there was another descriptive statement made after that one, but I can't repeat it in front of the "sensitive" ears here on the forum. Whoa!

I also spent some time in the famous "block" in downtown Baltimore, and they are, likewise, stories not suited for general consumption. Cool
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 11:34 am    

Back in 1970 in Washington DC, I played guitar in the house band at Benny's Rebel Room on 14th St. (two blocks from the White House) and they had these two little round risers like what a circus elephant does tricks on - positioned on stage amongst the band members and they would have topless go-go girls up there doing their thing while we played top-40 rock. The one that usually stood between me and the drummer used to dance with a beer in one hand and would twirl around periodically,flinging sweat/perfume/beer all over me and the drummer. I just thought it was all part of rock & roll. Who knew that was about as good as it was gonna get....
As one might guess,there's a good bit more to the story that can't be told here.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 1:08 pm    

A couple of years ago a rockabilly band I was in played for a biker and tattoo convention. They had a beauty contest, and the contestants had us play some backup as they each did a bump and grind strip. They backed right up to my pedal steel, so to speak. Razz
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 1:59 pm    

I worked a job in Kansas City Kansas one time where a Stripper from one of the Strip Clubs in downtown Kansas City Kansas came to the club we were playing and got drunk and decided to do her thing on one of the tables in front of the bandstand. Of course being married "I didn't look" Devil

But, we did work a bar that had Go Go girls in Olathe, Kansas. The owner had rock bands and decided to try country. They had Go Go girls and the jukebox up until the band started. All the clientel was "under 30" because of the Go Go girls and when the "country" band started the place cleaned out and all that was left was the bartender, waitress and the band.
Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 3:18 pm    

No Go - Go Girls, but we did have some Belly Dancers that shook the night during our breaks. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 6:02 pm    

Yes,
Four of them. You could look but better not touch.

Whew
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 6:04 pm    

I've played for a couple of burlesque dancers here in San Francisco. They seem to appreciate it when I mimic their bumps and grinds on my lap steel. Smile
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 6:25 pm    

A couple weeks ago we played a gig where there were about a dozen hot young babes, wearing tiny little mini skirts, all over the club.. They were dancing on the corners of the stage, on the bars, all over the place. I thought it was way cool.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 7:39 pm    

My goodness, absolutely. In the late 60's that was the hot thing. The clubs usually had 2 girls and they changed girls every week.

In one club, they lived in an apartment behind the club. Usually they were not the brightest bulb on the tree, however one girl who came thru was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, a blond. In talking with her, she had a masters degree in English, and sounded like it, and was going for her masters in math.
She said she did go-go between semesters because that's where she could make the most money. They danced,one at a time on the stage with us.

Another club, the two girls were on podiums. One of them kept loosing her pasty, causing us to lose our place in the song.

Another place was here in the San Fernando Valley at a club called The Cockpit. I'm sure some of you who played out here remember it, a little down the street from The Viking and up the street from the Palomino, North of the railroad bridge.

It was fun at the time, but I be too old to do that again.......... Not.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 8:22 pm    

In the late 70's, early 80's we played a club in Greensboro that had a weekly wet T-shirt contest that
invariably turned into a NO T-shirt contest. Because
the prize money was pretty large, the girls from the local strip clubs would enter and use the band's dressing room (while we were in there). They weren't
shy at all.

In another instance, we played at a theme park and used the large lounge in the dressing building to
hang out in between our sets. The young pretty dancers from the various shows would come in to change between their routines and wouldn't take the
time to go in the private change rooms. They'd
change right there in the lounge just like we weren't even there. Some were COMPLETE changes!

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 9:54 pm    

I remember once there was a very heavily tattooed girl dancing at a gig. I knew she was hard core because she had one on her forehead, like a head band.
The bass player recognised her from a biker magazine, I used that to convince her to show us ALL of tattoos, even single one!!! It was scarey..
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 12:14 am    

Top-less ones at that on a sub job at a biker bar some 15 years ago. Jody.
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 2:14 pm    

Well...once we had some hippie go-go girls...

Too bad I was standing in front of her.
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 2:48 pm    

At the Windsor Hotel in Pembroke we had to play on a smallish, two-tiered stage that was the domain of the strippers earlier in the day. The distance between the brass pole and the edge of the upper tier was precisely the length of my steel, so that's always where I got stuck. It was so precarious that I actually ran a bungee cord from the front to the back leg, around the pole, just for peace of mind.
The working girls were cool about the band using their space, and enjoyed joking about me using their brass pole... During the guitar solos, I was tempted to go for a spin.
-John
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 3:24 pm    

My FIRST upright bass gig was
replacing the bass player who broke his arm,
who was replacing the B3's broken bass pedals,
in a 'Boston Combat Zone' burlesque turned strip club.
I did 3 nights, underage with a fake mustache put on me,
until an of age player could be found.
This was pre-DJ era.

I most remember the pre silicon pasty tassle twirling champ,
who could multiple timings and angles on call, in time to the music.

Did various other go go girl gigs and occasionally
a real stripper or two, buh duh da doo, bah duh da doo
YAAAA Dah Dah Dooooo,
Bump ba BUMP bah
yada di yada ye
bump bump bah.

Now you can't drive through town here without
mindless dance track CRAP playing through
4 different systems ALL past the point of distortion,
with different songs 20 feet apart.
The girls are cute and dance up a storm.

But only the ladyboys are 'big enough' to
twirl pasty tassles... if they knew how to...
I did 3 gigs here with the 'Cabaret Acts'
joining us on or around the stage.
That IS quite strange to be sure.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!